Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
99 HR Endeavor DP: is it Winterized??

Dear RV Gurus, and in particular any 1999 or older Holiday Rambler Endeavor owners: looking for practical advice and/or prior experience regarding Winter with this RV.

Please understand Im a southwest resident not used to dealing with freezing temperatures at all, please accept my shortcomings but Im trying to learn. Three years owning this magnificent coach we are constantly skirting the cold, running back to the southwest usually around this time (october) to "brave winter". This year, however, hoping to stay North which means grappling with how to manage freezing temperatures without incurring damage. Im very freaked out about this, not just because finding manuals for a 20 yr old motorhome is impossible (I called HR but since they went bankrupt they will not help nor provide any information for coaches sold before the bankruptcy - it is a new company using the HR brand name).

This raises a whole list of questions that I need to deal with, such as:
  • is the 1999 HR Endeavor built to handle freezing temperatures, can one say it is "winterized" and if so down to what temps? Any 1990's Endeavor owners out there that can provide feedback?
FOR EXAMPLE: the propane furnace has floor vents, and the floor around the bathroom feels warm when it runs, but does that mean it is keeping the water tanks warm or is this just because the furnace is near? how can I know the furnace is keeping the bays warm, and is it sufficient to withstand down to 10F, 0F, -20F??
  • What is the Winterizing order or priority in keeping things from freezing, and what backup systems should be put in place in case, say, the electric goes out, or the propane system malfunctions/runs out.
  • Are there any "winter training" videos or literature I should study, how much should I plan to spend on heated hoses, heat lamps, other gear, etc.[/INDENT]

Bottom line: should I be worried being in Winter climate with this coach, is it built for it or not, am i biting off more than I can chew or introducing unnecessary risks by staying North this winter.

Would really appreciate any and all advice on the above, thank you in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You will have to pin the temps down a bit. You said freezing but..
I can tell you this: We live in the Seattle area and it is wet and cold with the normal climate tracking 63 days a year with a low temp of 32 or less. Even in this climate we have to winterize or run the furnace. If you are living in it you will most likely need a heated fresh water hose and filling then dumping the grey water and drain the hose. Since you are from the southwest I would think that you will be going through quite a bit of propane, I would get a Sturgis valve and some portable propane tanks. If it is going to be really cold you may want to think about a de-humidifier. You would be surprised how much moisture two people can put into the air in a closed up RV!!
Where are you thinking of going and... are you nuts! You have to fix the compass there "snowbird"!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #3

Most everything above the floors of your motorhome will be fine if you heat the motorhome with your furnace. It is below and outside that become issues. As noted above, a heated water supply line will be a must below 32F. Make sure the grade of your discharge grey/black line is such that no liquids collect in a low spot (ice dam). We have a basement electric heater for the wet bay areas below the floor. In our HR the water lines come up into the coach from the wet bay and as such, become warm from being in the heated upper areas. We also have an electric oil filled base heater which can be left on when we are away for a night or two rather then leave the furnace running.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

If you have a ice maker in the fridge.you will need to shut off that line and drain it. You
need heat in the wet bay. I don't know if your rig has a duct from the furnace to the
wet bay.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Your coach can handle moderate cold temps with some precautions.

Make sure your wet bay heater is working, you can test it by bypassing the thermo snap disk.

In cold temps, if you have slides, keep them in.

I set up a small electric heater in the basement and use one of these to control the On/Off function. https://www.lowes.com/pd/EasyHeat-Fr...roller/1060249 I move all combustibles away and secure it to the top of a very heavy tool box to make sure it can't turn over.
Put a remote temp monitor in the back side of the wet bay to confirm it is staying warm.

Pull all the shades and you could invest in some insulation https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011904 to put on the inside of the windows and the windshield.

I moved to Northern Michigan in Late March 2011 and lived in my coach. I had only 2 - 20 amp plugs for power and limited use of propane since I didn't want to have to go fill up every week. There was snow on the ground until mid May with temps down in signal digits some nights. I survived doing most of the above.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

I put a “drop light” in my wet bay on cold nights. Keep the furnace at a good temp, open doors under sinks, keep slide out in, keep water heater electric heat or propane heat on, check your discharge hose for water build up, run off internal water tank, disco city water hose and put away on freeze nights.

If really worried, winterize water lines.

Tags
endeavor, furnace, holiday rambler, winter, winterize, winterizing