RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

A/C breakdown again

In Jan 2010 while driving through Kenly NC my dash A/C compressor seized and broke my serpentine belt.

in May 2015 while driving thru Kenly NC my dash A/C pulley seized and again broke my serpentine belt.

Both times it happened the same way we had stopped ( 1st time at the rest area exit 99 ) ( 2nd time at exit 106) and when I restarted the engine is when the belt broke. 1st time I had the A/C compressor replaced in 2010 the second time I requested that they install a shorter belt and bypass the A/C compressor to get us home

In removing the rock guard to replace the belt they accidently broke my oil dipstick tube ( they denied doing it) so now I had an oil leak that was not there before, I requested that they plug the dipstick hole in the block as they did not have a dipstick tube in stock, (again to get us home )

Any suggestions as to why the A/C would fail so quickly ( the A/C was not on when the belt broke the 2nd time )

Does any one have the Moeller part # for the correct dipstick tube replacement

Does any one know if they make a dummy pulley assembly to replace the A/C compressor

2008 Knight, Cummins 360HP

doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dash A/C and your Roof A/C do have a few things in common.

One is this: You know that when you shut off the Rooftop A/C you should wait THREE MINUTES before re-starting..> Same applies to the dash

IF your engine dies..Turn A/C to OFF for 3 minutes..You may re-start engine as soon as you turn A/C off but NOT till you turn it off.

3 FULL minutes.. then you are good to chill.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems the easiest solution is to stop driving the Kenly NC.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

Coach engine was off at least 20 minutes before restarting. A/C was off ( I have an indicator light that I installed to tell me when dash A/C compressor is active) I installed after first failure. I have yet to remove A/C compressor to find out if it is a bearing failure on the clutch or a compressor seizure. I will check for refrigerant charge before removing compressor do not believe there was any loss of refrigerant prior to failure. A/C compressor was not running.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Let's have you get familiar with the compressor and how things work. The pulley bearing on the clutch is working any time the engine is on and the a/c pulley is just acting like a idler pulley. When you turn on the a/c, the clutch on the pulley engages the inner workings of the compressor.

Therefore, if the belt were breaking with the a/c off, it would be the pulley bearing. If the belt broke, or would squeal, while a/c was on, it could be the pulley bearing or the compressor innards. If it was squealing, and you turned off the a/c and the noise went away, it would be your compressor innards and not the pulley.

Another way to test the compressor innards would be to turn the clutch be hand, while the engine is off. That is the disk portion of the clutch assembly that is farthest from the compressor. You should be able to turn it easily, but with some firmness to it.

The pulley bearing can be serviced without having to replace the compete compressor, if caught in time.

Must be luck of the draw that you had two bearing/compressor failures, as these usually are pretty trouble free, especially two. Sorry

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #6

It would be nice to be able to service the A/C compressor in place
Being a rear radiator coach it is almost impossible to access the compressor to service the clutch bearing without removing the compressor I will look closely to see if it maybe it can be done. I have time as the coach will not be going anywhere for at least a month.

Thanks all for your responses
Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I replied to this but it may have been on a different forum family.

You know that when you turn off your roof air,, or loose power.. you should leave it off for THREE FULL MINUTES,, This is because if you try to re-start the thing before head pressure is bleeds off it can seize and not start Very hard on the motor.

Same is true of your dash air.. Save the motor is the belt. (Well engine but it is powerful enough to turn it even if you still have full pressure)

Your idler pulley may be a bit anemic but basically I notice that both times the belt broke it was an Instant Restart condition.

Turn A/C off when starting,leave it off for 3 minutes.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will find the roof air on our Monacoes has a timer that won't let the compressor come on for I think 2 1/2 min if you try to come back on line after a shutdown.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You may be able to take the compressor loose from the mounts without disconnecting the refrigerant lines and turn it around enough to get at the clutch bearing. In looking at my 07 Diplomat, I think I would try that before removing the lines.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

Thank you I will try that before I remove the lines.. to see if it is the clutch bearing or seized compressor.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

Update on the broken oil dipstick tube. it was a Orscheln Products dip stick tube. Cummins part they say is no longer available I was able to remove the broken part from the block, bought a shorter dipstick tube from Cummins removed the part that goes into the block from the new tube and attached my existing tube to the new piece with a clamp. did not alter the length works fine. Have not tackled the A/C issue yet. Next project on the list.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Note if the clutch bearing sizes.. (happened to me on a car) The compressor runs full time.. BOTH the clutch bearing and the compressor would have to size to snap/damage the belt.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #13

The clutch bearing supports the drive pulley, that is turned by the belt.

Behind that, mounted to the compressor body, is a electo-magnet, that controls engagement .

When magnetized, the force pulls the compressor crankshaft, mounted hub, against the spinning drive pulley.

Either a bearing failure or compressors failure can stress and break a belt.

A bearing failure can break the belt, with the AC off. A compressor failure, will only stress the belt when engaged.

Most times, a bearing falure will cause, belt miss-alignment and noise, any time the engine is running.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If it is your compressor you might want to check into a more efficient compressor, one of the guys on this board checked into the compressor that Monaco used and said it needed to turn more RPM in order to cool efficient or needed to go with a heavier duty compressor that is more efficant at a lower RPM.

walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote