RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

A/C Duo-Therm Air return filters

I have 2 Duo-Therm roof top A/C units on my Endeavor 2006. The manual says to frequently clean the air return filters. Although it gives some instructions on how to get to the filters by removing the ceiling decorative panels, it gives no diagram. It mentions removing bolts but all I see are screws under the plastic grille.
Does any body have a diagram that would show where the parts are?

LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

Most units either have large plastic screws or else have tabs you squeeze and remove the grille. They try to make it easy to get to but depends on your unit. I own coleman right now so I cannot help you specifically.

Roadking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You don't say which model but on my Duo-therms the filters are just a foam pad accessible by depressing two tabs located in the front of the larger louvered plate in the AC. The back of the plate has tabs that hold it in so when it swings down it just falls out.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
You don't say which model but on my Duo-therms the filters are just a foam pad accessible by depressing two tabs located in the front of the larger louvered plate in the AC. The back of the plate has tabs that hold it in so when it swings down it just falls out.
As do mine as well.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I also have an '06 Endeavor. As folks said, they should be tab/clips and the grille falls down.

If yours are different, maybe a photo would help us.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #6

I know how to remove the foam pads from the larger front grilles with clips, but the manual seem to refer to something else that needs to have bolts removed.
The model number of my Duo-Therm A/C unit is 630035.331.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmmm.... been all through my 3 AC units over the years, but never ran across any more filters than the foam ones above the grilles (the ones with rubber bands holding the filters in place).

Parts breakdown shows there is an electrostatic filter available, but nothing more.

Can you give more info, like where you're reading about filters that need the bolts to be removed? Removing bolts sounds like they mean to remove the actual AC unit from the roof
Old 11-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Hmmmm.... been all through my 3 AC units over the years, but never ran across any more filters than the foam ones above the grilles (the ones with rubber bands holding the filters in place).

Parts breakdown shows there is an electrostatic filter available, but nothing more.

Can you give more info, like where you're reading about filters that need the bolts to be removed? Removing bolts sounds like they mean to remove the actual AC unit from the roof

The access to the foam return filters is highly model specific. The owners manuals are very good on some topics and nearly useless on others.

Some models specifically Dynasty and above, with the decorative trim ceiling have the bolts that must be removed. There are 2-3 bolts along the driver's side edge of this large section. When the bolts are removed the panel hinges down to expose the 1-2 filters. In my case the foam is secured by 4 drywall type screws. It's the most "Mickey Mouse" arrangement on the coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, Steve. As we've all learned, they're like snowflakes.

My confusion stems from the fact that the OP and I have the same AC units and the same coach. I installed the middle one myself and have repaired/cleaned/etc all 3 of them over the years, so I thought I knew them pretty well. It makes me wonder if I'm missing something now.

Or maybe he's talking about something aftermarket?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #10

Here's the text from the manual:
"Return Air Filters
Frequently clean the return air filters. The filters are located inside the A/C behind the intake vent covers.
Access the living room filter by lowering the decorative ceiling panel using a ratchet and a 7/16” socket with
an extension. The panel is secured with hinges on the curbside and bolts on the roadside. The living room panel
is heavy. Remove the two end bolts first. Remove the center bolt while holding panel in place and gently lower
panel. The living room filter is secured in place with screws."

I attach a picture of the foam filter (I need to replace them) and one of the inside of the unit, grille and foam filter removed. Reading the instructions above, it seems to me that there is more than the foam filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam filter.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	111068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside of AC indoor filter removed.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	111069  

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When you say manual. is this the AC manual or the over all manual for your specific coach? The portion that says "Access the living room filter by lowering the decorative ceiling panel" makes me think you are reading a coach manual rather than the AC manual. Unless your Endeavor is a lot fancier than mine it does not have a decorative ceiling panel. In my mind at least a decorative ceiling panel would be some type of fancy wood, lighting, or mirrors.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #12

It's the coach manual and I attach a picture of the "decorative ceiling panel". I couldn't find an AC manual on line. If any body has found one, I would appreciate getting the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling cover.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	111070  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your coach manual doesn't reflect what you actually have in your Endeavor... it certainly isn't anything like what's in mine! The foam pad filters behind that grille are like the only ones I've ever found on any coach, unless it's as bdpreece says and they hid them behind a panel on a much higher-end coach.

I know a few folks on here have been making sound-deadening drop-down panels that fit below the roof grille, and they could be installed somewhat similar to the description in your manual. But not as DIY or aftermarket.

BTW, those little tabs that hold the grille in place seem to break off with maddening regularity, and I keep a few extra grilles for that occasion. I got thru lots of rubber bands too.

Be interested to hear if you find out more.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The foam filter you have out now, thats it. Wash or replace, and re-install. Your done !