RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A/C problems

If you have any ideas how I can resolve my problem it will be appreciated.

My MH is a 2006 Monaco Diplomat

I stored my MH for the winter. A few weeks ago while preparing it for the summer on a hot day I wanted to turn on the A/C. I only could see a dim light on the Duotherm thermostat, and could not select any of the functions like fan, cool, furnace, etc on the thermostat.
I then checked breakers, fuses, battery voltage, checked the 50 ampspower supply, ran the generator. Nothing worked.

I then replaced the thermostat with a brand new Duotherm. I plugged it, the screen lighted and saw a message EE ( which means a communications failure ). I did a reset on the thermostat and got a message FF. What does it mean.

I've checked and turned off both furnaces, also the AGS ( auto generator start ) nothing works.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

our 5 button thermostat. When it says FF that means all is well. So try turning on an a/c unit and see if it works. Again to reset a 5 button first you turn off the stat. then hold down the mode and the zone buttons simultaneously while turning the stat back on. It should say ff. And all is well
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

If stretches suggestion doesn't fix your problem, check the frt AC circuit board phone jack connections for green color or corrosion.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've tried resetting the thermostat several times, eventhough the message on the screen was FF, it still did not work.
This afternoon I will replace the phone jack connections as recommended by Dometic.

I will let you know if it cured the problem.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
One of my friends found the problem after several hours of testing.

Finally it was the wire from the front A/C going to the thermostat that had problem. These wires are similar to telephone wires with 4 little wires in them. So one of the small wires seems broken.

Now everything works fine. I temporaly installed the thermostat in the front a wire direct from A/C unit no. 1 in the front.

But I still have to find a way to bring the wire from the front A/C to the thermostat which is located in the bathroom/shower area.

Anyone has any idea how to bring that wire. I tried pulling on the broken wire but it does not move.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
jacmat,
It will be much easier to replace the bad 4-wire modular phone jack with a new one, and you can do it yourself--it is actually easy. Sometimes replacing the jacks on both ends and the other A/C solves future problems too. This problem is common, and is almost always the internal jack crimp connection and nothing is usually wrong with the wire itself. You will need an inexpensive modular jack crimper/stripper and some RJ modular jacks (Radio Shack) Take out and look at one of the modular jacks---most likely it has 2 unused blank slots on either end of the 4 that are used. They could have copper connections in them-they just are not used and are blank slots. So if you have this type (Very Common) it is an RJ-6 jack (6 slots--only 4 inside ones used) Whatever type you have, just get the same type RJ-? modular jacks when you get the tool.
1. turn the jack over to clearly see the colors of the wires in the crimped area and note which side the spring clip on the jack is located. Make a drawing of your wire colors and which side the spring clip of the jack is on.
2. Cut the wire as straight as you can about 1/2" from the old jack with side cutters.
3. The tool has a wire stripper that has a guage for the correct length of stripping of the outer insulation. Note--the 4 individual wires will not be stripped---just the outer insulation. The crimping later will automatically make the connection.
4. Using your diagram, insert the 4 wires into the replacement modular jack in the same color coding/spring clip location setup. Use the cut off jack as a reference also. Normally the inside 4 slots are used, and the outside 2 slots are blank. Insert all the way so the crimp positions will be correct.
5. Crimp using the tool--note that modular jack only fits into tool one way to crimp.
repeat on other end of wire to insure no future problems with other connections.
Note--the color sequence/ spring clip location may be reversed on the other connector so be sure you make a note of this. This is so the TX/RX pairs are reversed on the other side of the wire so communication is correct. Also check and replace any other modular jacks now that you are a pro. This tool is also used on home phone modular jacks too.
Hope this helps
Jimbo
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jimbo for your post, but unfortunately the problem is the wire. The jack was replaced before I did some continuity tests, The yellow wire is bad.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #8

lac, look inside the Ac unit above the filter. See if your phone wire runs through that area...if so...check continuity there too....your break may be between there and the control board in the AC unit...that will be an easy fix if so
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If the wire is broken internally near the end of it, or where it goes into the connector, you can replace the connector on the existing wire.

Amazon has the tool and terminals for $20.00.

That would be nice if it were just a terminal.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #10

Check BOTH of your cable end plugs.....they are reversed on the Dometic cable (special made)......a regular telephone cable WILL NOT WORK.....you would have to cut one end and turn it around and re-crimp a new one...
if you can reach the break you can repair with a 3M weather pack splice and good to go
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote