Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonandbean View Post
George - yep, that's what we're thinking. Board is fine, Tstat is compatible after convos with Dometic and CW. So, we're now calling around trying to find a repair place that can fit us in sooner than "in two weeks."
Angie, if your husband can get on the roof (after shutting down all power) he can remove the shroud and he will see a little "dog house" that the two capacitors live in, It has one or two screws that hold the cover on it. The start capacitor is the black round one. He may be able to see if it is bad or not. The red wire and a connector will be badly burnt. If it is bad, he can remove it and take it to CW or other RV supply place. I know that CW has them in stock. Good luck. BTW a drop in your geni voltage will take them out if it is trying to start on low voltage.

George
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
And the saga continues. We got a replacement Dometic a/c put in Thursday in NC by a certified Dometic tech (to replace the one we put in a week ago). The new one worked for about two days and then IT died on our way through Florida yesterday. Now we're in Tampa at the Lazy Days RV and they'll look at Tuesday morning. *Sigh* The good news is we left our pets in NC and the rear A/C works GREAT.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonandbean View Post
And the saga continues. We got a replacement Dometic a/c put in Thursday in NC by a certified Dometic tech (to replace the one we put in a week ago). The new one worked for about two days and then IT died on our way through Florida yesterday...
Just a thought, but a power quality test for that front AC's power may be in order. Blowing two (new) AC units in a row is not really very normal! I'd check voltage running (under load) and see if there might be an excessive voltage drop. You'd want at least 110 volts at the AC and preferably 115 to 125 volts.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Just a thought, but a power quality test for that front AC's power may be in order. Blowing two (new) AC units in a row is not really very normal! I'd check voltage running (under load) and see if there might be an excessive voltage drop. You'd want at least 110 volts at the AC and preferably 115 to 125 volts.
Yep - it is SO not normal. I'll mention this to the repair folks on Tuesday. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #19

I think Peter has diagnosed your problem .

Now you may already know this but I'll explain a little of what I think
may be your problem .
First in effect you have 2 electrical inputs into you coach each being
approx 120 volts a/c
One of those 120 v feeds approx 1/2 of your coach and it feeds one of those air
conditioners while the other air is powered by the other 120v leg.
If one of the two legs is dead it will stop one air cond and what ever else
is in that particular leg .
So you may find other things not working too .
Several things along the electrical path can interrupt the flow
The first that comes to mind is your transfer switch , Monaco
and others used a transfer sw by the name of IOTA which was
recalled because it was a fire hazard , the name should be clearly visable
on it if you have one of those.
Aside from that a loose connection on the transfer sw or any other
place could produce your plight , circuit breakers etc , they need to be
tightened occasionally
Several people have found a poor connection inside the plug on the end of the
power cable which can be bought and replaced easily .
If you have a volt meter and you are comfortable around elect you can
probably trace each leg to where the elect stops .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Well, it turns out we got TWO bad a/c units in a row from Dometic. Had the third one installed on Tuesday after the techs checked every possible thing in our wiring, generator, and thermostat. All clear. We've been running the new unit (third one) for a couple days now and it seems like it is cooling well. Hooray!!!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
WOW, I know any manufacturer can have a bad unit every now and then but two in a row to the same buyer doesn't say much for Dometic. I wonder what the problems were with them.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
WOW, I know any manufacturer can have a bad unit every now and then but two in a row to the same buyer doesn't say much for Dometic. I wonder what the problems were with them.
Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't say much for their QC.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't say much for their QC.

Chad
Don't know which model they have but there have been reports of problems with the Penguin II. When I replaced my DuoTherms (3 of them) I opted for the Brisk II which is taller but has a pretty good track record.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement