Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JohnCamelot.....I sold and installed tires for about 4 years when I was younger. I was one of the few in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) that could spin balance the aluminum rims on a 240Z in the first few years they were out. In those days, they used a hub that attached to the rim and you spun balance the tire and wheel on the car with a large electric motor. Several local shops sent their cars to me for balancing.

I was a nut about balancing tires and could always feel when they were out of balance. I disagree with not balancing rear tires. You can certainly feel an unbalanced rear tire in the seat of your pants in a car, what would make your motor home any different.

This is just a personal opinion and I will ALWAYS balance all wheels on my cars, motor home and my motorcycles.

gregk.....I initially set my front tires to the pressure in the Goodyear chart after weighing my front end. I letter read an article about the outer tread construction of the Gooryear G670's and it said to run an additional 5 psi. As I said, I had a knot in the original left front tire and replaced it. I have about 20000 on the new ones and they are wearing without any issues. Other than the knot on the one tire, which most people wouldn't ahve been concerned about, I've had good luck with the Goodyears. I think they ride well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wish IRV2 would allow you to edit your posts whenever necessary like the OTHER RV forum does. I always sober up the next day and find my spelling mistakes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #45
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I wish IRV2 would allow you to edit your posts whenever necessary like the OTHER RV forum does. I always sober up the next day and find my spelling mistakes.
Any mod would be more than happy to make any edits for you, in my case you might find my spelling atrocious at times!
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #46

Why do we need a babysitter to edit our posts?????? Turn on the edit feature so we can do it anytime. I agree with Don, next morning can be a shocker.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Why do we need a babysitter to edit our posts?????? Turn on the edit feature so we can do it anytime. I agree with Don, next morning can be a shocker.
Add me in to keep the edit switch on. By the time I unwind the next day, it's to late to repent.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-one View Post
Has anyone had trouble with Michelin tires ,other than the XRV? I had XRVs and had significant sidewall crackimg on tires that were 3yrs. old. My dealer said these tires could blow out sitting in my yard!
I've got the XZA2 tires and they are starting to show some cracking in the side walls..Michelin is trying to dismiss it by saying that side wall cracking is a non-warranty item... I've been fighting with them since Dec 2010 on this issue....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I am considering buying new tires at the start of next season. The Michelin XRV's are 6 years old now and I do have some minor stress cracks on the sidewalls. According to the charts I have seen on this blog I really dont need to lose a lot of sleep over the stress cracks that I see. I was considering on purchasing new Michelin XRV's (235/80R/22.5). I was curious about the Bridgestone tires but have not been able to find what I would think is the equivalent size or a price. I prerused the tire rack website and when I typed in the size it came back that they dont have tires that size and I know that at least Michilin does have that size.

My question is concerinig the equivalent Bridgestone sizes. I have the Bridgestone tires on the Jeep and have been very satisfied with them (70,000 driving and aprox 20,000 being towed behind the coach when I replaced them).

I have looked on TireRack before, they do not carry any MH or truck sizes that I could find.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

What Michelin Warranty won't cover. Last one covers cracking.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Tires/casings which become unserviceable due to:
– Road hazard injury (e.g., a cut, snag, bruise, impact damage or
puncture);
– Incorrect mounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance, improper
retread or improper repair;
– Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation,
overinflation or other abuse resulting in casing damage or fatigue;
– Accident, fire, chemical corrosion, contamination, tire alteration
or vandalism;
– Flat spotting caused by improper storage;
– The addition of liquid, solid or gaseous materials other than air,
nitrogen or carbon dioxide;
– Uses other than long haul service for any extended warranty
casing claims;
– Uneven or rapid wear caused by mechanical irregularity in the
vehicle such as wheel misalignment, resulting in damage to the
under-tread, carcass or steel belts;
Ozone or weather checking.

WHEN DOES THE G670 RV
WARRANTY END?
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends
when the treadwear indicators become visible
or five (5) years from the date of purchase,
whichever occurs first. The only exception is
weather cracking, which carries a seven (7) year
warranty
from the date of purchase or when
the treadwear indicators become visible,
whichever occurs first. Without proof of
purchase, date of manufacture will be used
to determine eligibility.

Hummmm! Michelin doesn't cover cracking for even 1 day and Goodyear does for 7 Years.

I put Goodyear on mine 6 years ago this month after 2 Michelin zipper blow outs. No cracks yet on the G670's.

Bridgestone Info
Weather/ozone cracking after four years from date
of tire manufacture not covered.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #51

And Goodyear will not do anything about rivering on G670's.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
And Goodyear will not do anything about rivering on G670's.
How many blow outs has that rivering caused?
More then the Michelin zipper one, that they wouldn't do anything about?

Only slight rivering on all 6 of my G670's.
No difference between the front or the rear, inside or out.
But I always run 10-15 PSI over the weight rating.

PSI is still good going from 90º to 40º outside by my Pressure Pro.

And the tires will be replaced at 10 years while still not being down to the ware bars yet.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #53

Now if you don't know why the zipper flat occured that that is hard to say. You don't know if the zippered flat tires where too old, always run under inflated, run under inflated due to a slow leak or what. Someone heard that somebody had a zipper flat on a Michelin so now all Michelin tires are bad.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Now if you don't know why the zipper flat occured that that is hard to say. You don't know if the zippered flat tires where too old, always run under inflated, run under inflated due to a slow leak or what. Someone heard that somebody had a zipper flat on a Michelin so now all Michelin tires are bad.
Mike you seem touchy about Michelin tires when many on here including myself have had 1ST HAND cracking and other problems with Michelins. I also know many including yourself who love Michelin. That doesn't mean all who had problems ran them under inflated or were old date tires. Mine were 44 mos old and had major cracking. I don't think running low air or old date is exclusive to Michelin brand. I would venture to say all brands have careless owners, not just Michelin. I think Michelin gets the most complaints because they are the most expensive of the common brands. When someone buys the top of the line, they expect top of the line performance and life. When their purchase fails to perform they let others know, and rightfully so. The owner of the company I work for had problems with Michelins on his Signature and after about 8 mos of discussion with Michelin they did give him a large credit toward new ones. A thumbs up to Michelin for doing that, better late than never. You clearly prefer Michelin and that is fine. Many people on here have had 1ST HAND problems. Your a wealth of knowledge on the forum!! Thanks for that!!
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #55

I'm pretty much a Michelin die-hard fan and run them on all my cars. I have experienced cracking on my MXMV4 sidewalls. I had 65k on my mercedes when I changed them and they still have plenty of life left in the tread, which is not surprising for a Michelin. On my last rotation (which I did by myself) I inspected the inside of the tires and there was no cracks, so I chalked it up sun rot. It seems weird changing tires when there is plenty of tread left, but they were 5 years old, so time to go anyway. I have heard others complaining about the Michelin sidewalls cracks on passenger tires. Who knows, maybe they had a bad run, or a rubber formula change?
pplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #56

I know I'll take some heat for what I say here, but that's OK and l understand.

I will NOT put Michelin tires on our coach.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote