Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My coach did not come with a satellite dish and I am getting ready to install one. The equipment compartment above the driver has three coax connectors in the upper left labeled Satellite Receiver Connection, Ext Input, Roof Input, and To Video Switch. I believe the one labeled Ext goes to the rear of the coach in the same compartment as the shore power cord. I assume the one labeled Roof terminates under the light fixture near the front on the ceiling. My question is what and were does the one labeled "To Video Switch" go and what is it for?

Thanks,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My coach did not come with a satellite dish and I am getting ready to install one. The equipment compartment above the driver has three coax connectors in the upper left labeled Satellite Receiver Connection, Ext Input, Roof Input, and To Video Switch. I believe the one labeled Ext goes to the rear of the coach in the same compartment as the shore power cord. I assume the one labeled Roof terminates under the light fixture near the front on the ceiling. My question is what and were does the one labeled "To Video Switch" go and what is it for?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has a video switch (with sets of buttons for main TV rear TV, VCR, outside TV) to choose the souce such as cable ant vcr etc.
I assume the coax port on the sattelite connection gets connected to the back of the video switch in the appropriate port (Sat in).

2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
Chris-Alto,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Nodine...
Owners Manual reads as such:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>EXT. INPUT:This connection is used to hook-up to a portable satellite dish. Run a coaxial cable from this connection to "Satellite In".<LI>ROOF INPUT:This connection is used to hook-up to the roof satellite dish. Run a coaxial cable from this connection to "Satellite In".<LI>TO VIDEO SWITCH:This connection is used to hook-up to the video selector box. Run a coaxial cable to "From Satellite".[/list]
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Chris and MM,

Kinda what I thought but is of no use to me since I purchased the HD receiver which does not have a 75 ohm coax output.

Bob
Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nodine:
Thanks Chris and MM,
Kinda what I thought but is of no use to me since I purchased the HD receiver which does not have a 75 ohm coax <span class="ev_code_RED">output</span>.
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct Bob. The new HD receivers all have HDMI or component outputs. The output from the receiver goes directly to the TV. If needing to run new wires, choose HDMI. That way you only need to run the one cable as it carries audio and video. Component requires 5 cables to be run.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
Glad you got an answer to your question cuz I would have totally confused you...I confuse myself all the time. I tried to upgrade my cables and succeeded in replacing one....I gave up on the others....cable challenged here.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
SacsTC is correct about the HDMI cable.

If you can wait a few days to get your cables, order them from someplace like Amazon. I have ordered 2 meter (6') HDMI cables from Amazon for approximately $10.00. These cables work just as well as the $50.00 and up cables you'll find at big box electronics retailers.

The sales staff at big box stores will give you a song and dance about band width and all sorts of other technical sounding gobbldy-guck to convince you to spend lots of money on cables. The fact is if the cables you buy meet the HDMI technical standards (and the ones from Amazon do) they will work.

If your TV installation is like mine, you may have to drill a hole in the side of the video equipment cabinet, into the TV cabinet to be able to get a new cable to the TV. Not a big deal and the new hole is completly hidden from the outside.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did some research and here is what I came up with for the new Directv HR21 (HD receiver with recorder). SacsTC and Bob are almost right there is no 75 ohm output (RF channel 3 or 4) but here are the outputs.

HDMI Outputs: 1
Component Outputs: 1 (YPbPr)
S-Video Outputs: 1
Composite Outputs: 2 (RCA type)
Digital Optical Outputs: 1
Digital Outputs: 1 (coaxial)
Stereo Outputs: 2 (L/R, RCA)
Satellite In: 2

You will notice that there is a composite video and stereo audio output that have RCA type jacks. You can get a device called a video modulator for about 40 to 50 dollars that will take that output and change it to a 75 ohm Coax output that can be seen on channel 3 or 4. This is the type of output that came from the older Directv receivers. You can feed this input to the Sat input on the video switch and then you can view your Directv signal on any TV in the coach.

I would follow SacTC recommendation to use the HDMI signal and cable to feed the front TV if it has a HDMI input.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you have the Winegard AV switcher it has a built in modulator. Most of the Monaco coaches have the Winegard. The DirecTV hr21 runs very hot and if you plan on installing it over the drivers seat you will need to find some way to cool it and the cabinet. Keeping the cabinet door helps keep the cabinet cooler but the hr21 will still run hot and often malfunctions.

A good source of AV cables is Monoprice at a fraction of the cost of the big box guys and excellent quality. Their URL is:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

I've bought HDMI, Toslink and other cables and the quality is great. Before I switched out the receiver I used one of their HDMI switchers.

I agree with Sacs and itdave. If you have an HDMI TV use it. Not only will you reduce the number of cables but the video quality is better than component.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,
Good point about the modualtor in the video switch, but it is connected to the DVD output of the RCA Home Theater unit so you can watch a DVD on the rear and external TVs.
When I replaced the RCA POS unit my Yamaha AV receiver took up more room in the cabinet so I had to relocate the DirecTV receiver. I ended up adding a shelf below the entertainment cabinet. This gave me more room and eliminated the heat problems. I think SacTC may have done the same thing.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good point Dave only one modulator on the Winegard. NetMedia makes some very small modulators high performance modulators. Not the cheapest available but very well made and easy to install almost anywhere in the AV cabinet. I have their 3 port modulator attached to the top of the cabinet with Velcro. I also have 1 installed at the stick house for outside cameras. They make 1 and 3 channel modulators stereo or mono.

http://www.netmedia.com/modulators.html

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I also found a site Home Controls that offers a number of modulators.
Here is the link Home Controls
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies and useful information folks. I got the DirectTv HD receiver working last night and we enjoyed some decent television for the first time since we left home on December 26.

I know the HDMI has the best output and combines the audio but the only problem with that is that I am already using it for the Sony Home Theater System. I stripped out the TV and the RCA Home Theater that came with the coach and replaced them. I chose the second best connection for the DirectTV connection and ran the RCA's for the audio.

We are currently only able to watch the satellite at 101 because I just purchased a cheap single horn dish to get things working and have on hand when we camp with obstructed views to the south. We leave Orlando tomorrow for a week at Lazydays and I have an appointment to get the new Winegard Travler Slimline Mult-Sat HD installed on the Diplomat.

It is an automatic open dish type as we don't need to watch on the move. I feel much better about an open dish and want to stay away from the dome type.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all.

Bob