RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A thread about the MP-8

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/mp-8...ht-137460.html

For those with inquiring minds. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Where did you have your mp-8 installed? I assume there are dealers in Ca, Ariz, Nev

Thanks for your ongoing fountain of info

recaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quartzsite by Jon Brazel. Sorry not sure of the spelling, but he blogged on the thread about the MP-8. deSanford
Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Thank you, Ill call him
Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My mileage is not as good as I thought. Here is why:

deSanford

Monaco Owners Club
I e-mailed Ron the developer of the Scan Gauge "D" and asked him to settle this. Below is the e-mail I sent him today. deSanford

Hi Ron,

Need some help here. I have a TS Performance MP-8 that has increased my torque and HP for my Cummins ISB340HP 6.7L Diesel. Part of the kit was shims to increase the fuel line pressure. I had to drive 67mph in order to get to 6th gear overdrive. Now after all my new found power I had the TCM recalibrated by Detroit Diesel Allison in Coberb, Ore. Now I get into 6th gear at 55mph with RPM at around 1375 in cruise with the "ECON" on. (on transmission control). My mileage has gone from 6-8mpg to 14.6-16.1mpg as shown on the Scan Gauge "D". My friends on the Caterpillar MP-8 iRV2 blog say the Scan Gauge D is not very accurate etc. TS Performance contact person is Randy at extension 1112 at 270-746-9999 . Can you resolve our disagreement on the mileage readings. I believe your gauge......they say your gauge doesn't work with the MP-8. What say you?

Thanks,

Sanford

Today, 03:12 PM #25

deSanford

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the reply from Scan Gauge Developer Ron:

Ron DeLong
2:57 PM (13 minutes ago)

Sanford,

I called earlier today, but you were not there.

The ScanGauge reports the fuel use as directly told to it by the vehicles computer. The vehicle computer controls the amount of fuel injected by controlling the injector pulse width. It also uses this width to report the fuel being used. When you changed the pressure, the amount being injected was increased for any given injector pulse width. The vehicle computer now thinks it is not injecting as much as it really is. This is why the economy appears so much higher. The fuel flow is being under-reported to the ScanGauge.

There is a fix for this. The ScanGauge allows you to adjust the fuel flow rate used to determine the fuel use. This is "hidden" in the Advanced setup menu, since it is rarely needed. Use the following sequence after pressing the HOME button (the one with the yellow circle around it): MORE>SETUP Then press the upper left button to get to the ADV SETTINGS screen then EDIT. Scroll through the selections using the upper right button until you see "Fuel Adj". This is where you can compensate for the modified fuel flow reporting. Use the lower left button to change it to -35.0%. You will need to hold the lower left button down for a while to get there. Hit the HOME button to exit this screen. The 35% is my estimate of the amount of under-reporting.

To dial it in closer, you will need to manually measure the fuel economy starting with a full tank. Make sure to use the fillup procedure in the ScanGauge to make it reset the TANK Fuel used to 0. At the next fillup, use the Trip function to see how much fuel the ScanGauge said you used and compare it to the amount you had to add to fill the tank back up. If the ScanGauge said it took less than the pump said, you need to go more negative by about the percentage it was off. Go less negative on the Fuel Adj if the ScanGauge said you used more.

To get to the TANK fuel used screen, use HOME>TRIP>TRIPS then the lower left button to select TANK and the upper left to select GALLONS.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On a recent trip, & first since installing the MP-8, I was getting 9.6 mpg according to the Aladdin read-out -- This was thru Utah, Idaho, Oregon, & California -- Lot`s of mountain terrain -- I knew I wasn`t getting that kind of mileage, but over the 3000 mile trip, I did average 8.5 mpg -- The Aladdin was about 1 mpg off --Before the MP-8 , we averaged 7.6 mpg -- We have a 42' Camalot, with the 400ISL, towing a 4500 lb Chevy Equinox -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

deSanford
QUOTE: "Now after all my new found power I had the TCM recalibrated by Detroit Diesel Allison in Coberb, Ore."

Sanford, why Coberg ? I want do this mod but is there a shop in So Cal to reprogram the TCM
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bob I called around, and it was less expenseive to have Ron do the recalibration. I found that he has the most experiance as he has done it for Navistar RV (aka Monaco) for a long time. He already has all the info in his lap top where as the other shops would have to learn on your dollar (time). Coberg Diesel Allison charges $200.00 to do it (TCM). deSanford PS I unplugged the TCM and mailed it to Ron.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #9

Ok, you Mailed it to him, of course; I thought you DROVE it to him makes perfect sense.

Thank You
Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #10

Would you send me (bob@caffeyhome.com) his contact info
Thank you
Bob
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bob I went there in person after I got the TCM back. I wanted it to shift into 6th gear at 55mph, but he had it set for 58mph. When I was at the Navistar service facility in Coberg I drove less then a mile to their shop. Ron was very helpfull and off to the 5 freeway and with lap top connected to my service port by the steering wheel he "sharpened" his calibration of the TCM to have it shift the Allision into 6th gear overdrive at 55mph. I might have a Detroit Diesel Allision card in my motorhome. Should be easy to find the # it is located in Coburg, Ore. Matt at Navistar RV Service can give it to you if you have trouble finding it. Ask for Ron......the shop manager will put you in contact with him. I also had my transmission filter changed while I was there. deSanford
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

Sanford, would you share with me the cost (installed) of the mp8/ inside control cable and the scan d.
You can email me: bob@caffeyhome.com

Thanks