Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ABS/ATC lights come on in tight turns

Ever since we acquired our '09 HR Scepter, we've had the ATC and ABS lights come on....usually in tighter turns like a freeway cloverleaf, right turns more than left, occasionally randomly on a straightaway. They always stay on until shutdown and then reset. It's a Bendix ABS system and the SPN is 810 with an FMI of 7. I've done the "count the flashes" exercise and have since misplaced the results, but it had something to do with "invalid input or signal". I know just enough to be dangerous about this issue, but know the system compares the speeds of corresponding wheels and activates the system when appropriate to keep from skidding. What else am I missing? Am I the only one that' ever had this issue?

I had REV group in Oregon look at it once and they commented that the wires from the sensors up to the junction box were stretched very tightly (almost like guitar strings) and they tried to loosen them so they wouldn't stretch.

(See photos of Medallion diagnosis and the dusty Scanguage readout.)

I've thought about getting underneath and try cleaning sensors, but looking for some more intel on this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS ATC lights.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	318014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scanguage ABS ATC.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	318015  

Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have several Bendix manuals and none show an 810 7 code.

Might be worth getting the blink codes again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my 03 Monaco the ATC light comes on when 1 of the fuel filters needs replaced
FCOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I have several Bendix manuals and none show an 810 7 code.

Might be worth getting the blink codes again.
The manual I just checked listed the fault as...

"Wheel Speed Sensors Reversed on an Axle"

the blink code should be 12 11.

good luck
Old 02-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

The Bendix manual I checked doesn't reference SPNs so I've got to do another flash check. FMI of 07 seems to reference wheel speed sensors. Even the possibility of a pair of sensors reversed on an axle (left/right) but that shows up under FMI 14. It's probably a very simple fix????? After this snow melts, I'll do the flash procedure again and call the Bendix team. I really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

Also...would the reversed wires explain the tight harness? Just saying...
Old 02-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #7

Okay! I'm getting closer to my final answer! Took a trip out to the coach and videoed the flash sequences for inactive faults. The main culprit appears to be 12-11 (Sensors are reversed left to right on one of the axles.) I did have a couple of other codes probably because I didn't have the engine running referring to J1939 serial link, engine communication, and retarder.) RVingNow gets a gold star for steering me in that direction in the first place!

I plan to call Bendix on Monday/Tuesday to learn a little more about the junction box and the easiest way to identify which axle has the issue. Does anyone happen to know where the junction box usually is mounted? Thanks to all who weighed in on this thread! Much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #8

ABS Fault Update

Update on my detective work on this issue (blink code 12-11 which is "Left and Right WSS reversed on an axle"): After a couple of calls to the Bendix Tech Team, I lucked out and got a nice fellow named Chad and I recognized him from some YouTube videos that Bendix put out several years ago. He spent quite a bit of time going over options of what the issue could be.

1) Some of the early EC-60 control units had some software glitches and were replaced under warranty. (I have 127 occurrences of this fault in 12 years, but not covered)

2) In the tight turns that tend to give the fault, an inside wheel might become "unweighted" and fake out the ATC system which could cause an ABS issue. (least likely)

3) The issue might actually be that left and right sensors are reversed on an axle.

Chad explained that no diagnostic tool (RDU or ACom) is going to give me any more info than the blink code feature has already given me. The best way to know if sensors are reversed is to go underneath and locate the connector from the wheel speed sensor wire where it plugs into the wiring harness somewhere along each axle. Then unplug one at a time and do the blink code test. That fault will say which sensor is open/unplugged. If you unplug the "left" and the fault comes up as "right", I'll know the WSS are actually reversed on that axle.

Next time I'm not parked on gravel, mud or snow, I'll give it a try and keep you posted. Still open to any and all input from the group!

As for the location of the Bendix EC-60 ABS control unit, mine appears to be mounted in the ceiling of the forward basement storage. At this point, there does not seem to be a reason to access it. Thanks to Happycarz Harry for turning me on to that a few years ago. I had forgotten.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc737 View Post

2) In the tight turns that tend to give the fault, an inside wheel might become "unweighted" and fake out the ATC system which could cause an ABS issue. (least likely)
Barry, unless your riding her 'real hard', this one is unlikely !
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #10

"Then unplug one at a time and do the blink code test. That fault will say which sensor is open/unplugged. If you unplug the "left" and the fault comes up as "right", I'll know the WSS are actually reversed on that axle."

That's a good test.

Tags
abs, light, lights