Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
ABS Fault

2001 Endeavor 38PBD.
My ABS light stays on all the time. My owners manual says to depress the "Test Button" on the Diagnostic Center below and to the left of the steering column and retrieve the code. That is where my Diagnostic Center is but there is no "test button" there. Anybody know where to look for this "button"?
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2002 Windsor so a different coach but...

In my driver side electrical bay I have a separate module for the ABS system. It is about 3" X 4", there is a button on it and a small LED light that provides blink codes. I turn the key on, depress the brake pedal 1 time, then go outside and press the black button for ~1 second. It then provides a blink code. It will be a series of blinks that will pin point the problem.

Las time I had a problem I did the above and it showed that the front drivers side wheel sensor was not reading correctly. Pulled the sensor out, cleaned it (it was really dirty) and put back in make sure it pressed against the tone ring. After I drove it a short distance the light went out. That was last year and after a ~3K trip the light never came back on.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I own a 2002 Windsor so a different coach but...

In my driver side electrical bay I have a separate module for the ABS system. It is about 3" X 4", there is a button on it and a small LED light that provides blink codes. I turn the key on, depress the brake pedal 1 time, then go outside and press the black button for ~1 second. It then provides a blink code. It will be a series of blinks that will pin point the problem.

Las time I had a problem I did the above and it showed that the front drivers side wheel sensor was not reading correctly. Pulled the sensor out, cleaned it (it was really dirty) and put back in make sure it pressed against the tone ring. After I drove it a short distance the light went out. That was last year and after a ~3K trip the light never came back on.
Thanks Jim. I remember seeing that test switch down there but didn't know what it was for. I will test it today. Do you by any chance have a list of the codes?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a link to the code manual
www.heavydutypowertrain.com/md200codes.pdf

Here is a link to a manual that has lots of info, explaining the system and how to troubleshoot.
http://www.bendix.com/media/document....../134863.pdf

When you go through the test procedure do not hold the button down too long as it will go into a different mode and give you false readings.

If you have the original manuals from your coach it probably came with the Bendix/Eaton manual. Take the time to read it as it has some good info.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Thanks Jim. I remember seeing that test switch down there but didn't know what it was for. I will test it today. Do you by any chance have a list of the codes?
Jim, your instructions were a little different from my books. Mine said nothing about depressing the brake pedal first. And it said to hold the test button for 3 seconds and then the bulb would illuminate and flash the code. My test light stays on all the time and nothing happens when I push the test button. This could very easily just be the difference between your coach and mine. Very obviously there is something wrong. Further research in this forum I see references to brake switch failure and brake light bulb failure. I will check these as soon as my co-pilot awakes from her after dinner nap!
Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Hello 67Fisher. Jim J. has given you the proper test procedures for the ABS board that is in the electric bay under the drives seat outside. A number of years ago I had a long conversation with a tech at Monaco to see if I could get my ABS light to turn off. The procedure is , ing. on, press brake once, press test button for 1 second but not more than 3 seconds. If light does not blink, there could be something wrong with the ABS board. ON my 2001 Windsor, the test solved the problem and the ABS light went out. ON my new to me 2001 Windsor, the same thing that has happened to you, happened to me. I got the previous owner to spring for a new ABS board, problem solved. Just the other day I found those boards on Visonerv web site. Today I cannot locate them on their web site? You might try pulling the 2 fuses on the board to see if that might reboot the board. Do not know if that would work, but it could be a start.

About a month or more ago, Guaranty RV in Junction City,Or. had these boards listed on their web site under parts/Monaco. Now they show none, but they had a note that said that when they are gone, they could help with repair of the boards. Hope this gives you some direction. Always as a last resort, you could call Monaco parts. Best of luck on your repair.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The procedure I listed was described in an Addendum to the ABS system that Monaco provided, I found it on their website (somewhere).

There are other things that could be going on.

If you hold the button in to long it sends the ABS system into an "off" road mode and the light stays on all the time. There is a way to clear this, it is the Eaton/Bendix manual, it takes 2 people as 1 has to stay in the cab to press the brake pedal while you go through the steps. This happen to me once. Once we cleared this it stayed good for a long time.

Also, the control module has a history of corrosion causing it to loose ground. Take the module off, scuff up the attachment points and put back on, this could clear the fault. A better option, which is what I did, is to run a separate ground wire to the module. I attached a wire to the grounding buss bar on the front fire wall and ran it back into the electrical bay and used a wire connector under one of the screws.

The last time I had a problem was early 2015, after fixing it's been good for +4k miles.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a link to a manual that has lots of info, explaining the system and how to troubleshoot.
http://www.bendix.com/media/document....../134863.pdf

FYI- Bad link Jim.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
The procedure I listed was described in an Addendum to the ABS system that Monaco provided, I found it on their website (somewhere).

There are other things that could be going on.

If you hold the button in to long it sends the ABS system into an "off" road mode and the light stays on all the time. There is a way to clear this, it is the Eaton/Bendix manual, it takes 2 people as 1 has to stay in the cab to press the brake pedal while you go through the steps. This happen to me once. Once we cleared this it stayed good for a long time.

Also, the control module has a history of corrosion causing it to loose ground. Take the module off, scuff up the attachment points and put back on, this could clear the fault. A better option, which is what I did, is to run a separate ground wire to the module. I attached a wire to the grounding buss bar on the front fire wall and ran it back into the electrical bay and used a wire connector under one of the screws.

The last time I had a problem was early 2015, after fixing it's been good for +4k miles.
I took the module off and although the backing/attachment plate was rusty, I could not find any point on the module board itself that acted as a ground and the attachment plate is screwed to a fiberglass panel. One of the wires in the 2 bundles must be a ground.
I will look in the manual for the instructions to clear the "Off Road" mode. I likely did hold the test button too long.
I found the replacement modules (used) on line. I believe I will call and order one.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hello 67Fisher. Jim J. has given you the proper test procedures for the ABS board that is in the electric bay under the drives seat outside. A number of years ago I had a long conversation with a tech at Monaco to see if I could get my ABS light to turn off. The procedure is , ing. on, press brake once, press test button for 1 second but not more than 3 seconds. If light does not blink, there could be something wrong with the ABS board. ON my 2001 Windsor, the test solved the problem and the ABS light went out. ON my new to me 2001 Windsor, the same thing that has happened to you, happened to me. I got the previous owner to spring for a new ABS board, problem solved. Just the other day I found those boards on Visonerv web site. Today I cannot locate them on their web site? You might try pulling the 2 fuses on the board to see if that might reboot the board. Do not know if that would work, but it could be a start.

About a month or more ago, Guaranty RV in Junction City,Or. had these boards listed on their web site under parts/Monaco. Now they show none, but they had a note that said that when they are gone, they could help with repair of the boards. Hope this gives you some direction. Always as a last resort, you could call Monaco parts. Best of luck on your repair.
I found the modules on line at Verinks RV (SP), used. I'll get one on order shortly. I pulled both fuses to do a possible reboot. No change.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Try this link
www.heavydutypowertrain.com/md200codes.pdf
Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

On my 99 Windsor, the light comes on occasionally, stays on for a while then goes off. Has done that for the 7-8 months I've owned the coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

I gave up trying to figure out why the ABS light, on the dash or the test light on the circuit board, would not go out. I located and ordered a used module from VisoneRV. No refunds, no returns. Oh well, won't be the $50 I wasted. Had it in about three days. Plugged it in and ----wala--- no more light. Wisdom tells me the module was bad. Now the second big question for you readers. Somewhere during my hunt for this replacement module, I ran across an advertisement for repairing these modules. I can't find it now. If anyone has knowledge of such a place I would like to get my old one repaired. Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Hello 67Fisher. In my last post to your ABS light staying on, I mentioned that not too long ago, Guaranty RV in Junction City,Or. had those ABS boards on their web site under Monaco/ parts section of their web site. It was noted on their web site, that these boards are discontinued and when they are gone we can help you with repair of your bad ABS board. I would give the parts dept. a call and see what info they can give you for repair of your bad board.
Please let us know what you find out about repairing these boards. Hope this gives you some direction.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs