RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

ABS Light and Alternator Light

Hello all, long time reader first time poster. I purchased a new to me 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PST over the summer and since I purchased it the ABS light and Alternator light have been on. The previous owner had the alternator replaced and just prior to replacement and ever since then he said the light has been on. The alternator is working as there is an increase in voltage when running and the battery gauge also changes when running. As far as the ABS light goes, he was not sure why it went on all I know is that it someday appeared and never went off.

I have taken it for over a 3k road trip as well as several other trips with no issues, its just annoying to look at.

Let me know if anyone had any ideas...thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F3CF9A5-F3C2-43EE-B2E1-0FDC5466ACB8.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	310041  
Endeavor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the beautiful rig!

The ABS light on is not an uncommon issue. The next step would be to retrieve the ABS code to see what is triggering the warning light. In your Owner's Manual there is a step-by-step process to retrieve the code. Essentially you locate the ABS control box and there is a button on it. Using this button, you can get the ABS system to blink the code using the warning light. This will then tell you if there is a wheel sensor bad, or something out of alignment, etc.

We too have had the ABS light on. We have tried to fix it a few times, but at some point you have to decide if its worth continuing to throw money at. We disconnected the warning light when I installed our new dash radio. There is no impact to the driving of the coach, other than the ABS function is not available. Of course this decision is purely up to each individual, so do what you feel most comfortable with.

All the best!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
You said there is an increase in voltage from the alternator when the engine is running. Have you actually measured the voltage output of the alternator? It should be applying 13.6 to 14.2 volts to the batteries. It's always possible they installed a faulty alternator or mis-wired it when it was installed. It's also possible you have defective chassis batteries causing the alternator voltage to run high.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
Congrats on the beautiful rig!

The ABS light on is not an uncommon issue. The next step would be to retrieve the ABS code to see what is triggering the warning light. In your Owner's Manual there is a step-by-step process to retrieve the code. Essentially you locate the ABS control box and there is a button on it. Using this button, you can get the ABS system to blink the code using the warning light. This will then tell you if there is a wheel sensor bad, or something out of alignment, etc.

We too have had the ABS light on. We have tried to fix it a few times, but at some point you have to decide if its worth continuing to throw money at. We disconnected the warning light when I installed our new dash radio. There is no impact to the driving of the coach, other than the ABS function is not available. Of course this decision is purely up to each individual, so do what you feel most comfortable with.

All the best!
Josh
Thank you! I will give that a try and see what it says or maybe I will just take the light out from behind the dash LOL.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Some black tape will solve the ABS light problem.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You said there is an increase in voltage from the alternator when the engine is running. Have you actually measured the voltage output of the alternator? It should be applying 13.6 to 14.2 volts to the batteries. It's always possible they installed a faulty alternator or mis-wired it when it was installed. It's also possible you have defective chassis batteries causing the alternator voltage to run high.
Yes, varies from 13.8-14.1. Batteries were my first thought and they were old. Replaced all 6 and same issue....
Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My ABS sensors are press fit in. Carefully pulling, cleaning, checking connections and reinserting may help.

After above it may take a trip around the block to reset.

Volunteers USFWS. 8500 hrs each, 28 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Over the years I have had the ABS light come on and have been able to pull the blink codes and solve the problem. The ABS module for my coach in the front drivers side run bay. It is a ~4X4" board with relays, 1 fuse, a black button and LED.

On my coach to retrieve the codes I turn the key to the right without starting, press the brake pedal 1 time, and then go outside and press the black button for less then 2 seconds. The blink light will start blinking, write down the codes.

Some of the problems I've had are
  • Wheel sensor on front drivers side was dirty, pulled and cleaned and reinstalled
  • I have had a problem several times with the button on the control board sticking, causing the ABS light to stay on. In the past I had been able to remove the board and used compressed air to blow the button out and removing the dirt freeing the button. This happened again last month and blowing out the button didn't work, so I took the button cap off. Inside was a cupped shaped contact, I think that it had flattened out and was not releasing properly. The cupped contactor has 4 "legs", is bent each leg slightly giving it more depth. Put it back together and that solved the problem.
The ABS module is obsolete, there are several sights that offer to repair the board, which is a last resort option.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Don’t know if this will help but I had an alternator put 16 volts plus and it triggered the ABS light.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Was the alternator replaced with the same make/model. Most Monaco's have Leece Neville alternators which is a DUVAC type. Although it can be replaced by a none DUVAC altenator the wiring is different.

My coach has a relay that provides a signal for the Alt Fail light to come on. If it senses low (or NO) voltage the alternator light comes on. Back near the alternator there is a 5 (?) amp fuse on the wire that sends voltage to the the Alt Fail relay. I would check this fuse, if it blown the Alt Fail light will come on.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #11
src

I to have a abs light on can not fine the control box. the control box is not in the front bay. do someone know wear it is?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My coach has a relay that provides a signal for the Alt Fail light to come on. If it senses low (or NO) voltage the alternator light comes on. Back near the alternator there is a 5 (?) amp fuse on the wire that sends voltage to the the Alt Fail relay. I would check this fuse, if it blown the Alt Fail light will come on.
The alternator "fail relay" is a 6V relay on some coaches. On those Coaches, the relay is fed off the stator terminal of the alternator, which is half the output voltage.

If this is the case on your Coach, check to see if someone replaced that fail relay with a standard 12V relay.

Here's a thread on that https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rel...on-421524.html
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also had the the ABS and ATC lights on along with an occasional loud warning buzzer on my -04 HR Imperial.
I can't remember what the codes may have been but I cleared the codes and the lights disappeared.
This however did not fix the occasional loud buzzer and since the rig was new to me, I was not sure what it may have been but I assumed it had to be related to the park brake switch as the buzzing started happening almost every time I disengaged it.
I replaced the park brake switch which the previous owner had purchased (still in the box) and that eliminated the buzzer. So the previous owner's guess had been correct on that but probably did not want to tackle the replacement of that as it took some effort to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS diagnostic button.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	310118  
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
I to have a abs light on can not fine the control box. the control box is not in the front bay. do someone know wear it is?

Here is a link to the manual for a 2006 HR Endeavor
https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspa...855&focal=none

On page 278 there is a section on the ABS system. It says your ABS diagnostic center is located in the front drivers side run bay.

Here is what it looks like
**REPAIR ABSRM1 ABS Relay Module REPAIR ONLY**See Description: nwrvsupply.com

Tags
abs, alternator, light