Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
ABS light on all the time

On my Windsor 40PBT the ABS light stays on continously after starting the engine. The manual states that "the ABS dash indicator light can be used to obtain system faults by displaying a blink code". It then says:

"To retrieve blink codes

Turn ignition key to the ON position.
Using Systems Diagnostic Center located left of steering column below dashboard, depress and hold test button for three seconds. Indicator light will illuminate while test button is depressed.
After releasing test button, indicator lamp will turn off and blink code will be displayed. 1-1 will indicate no system faults"

The problem is, I can't find a "Systems Diagnostic Center" anywhere! Can anyone tell me where this may be?
Have any of you had a problem with the ABS light staying on, and if so, what did it take to fix this? Thanks for your help!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

Hi Joe. I had a module of some sort go bad on my Spartan. They also said that when changing the brake shoes sometimes a sensor gets pushed to far away and needs adjusted. I had it fixed at the local garage so I can't tell you much more than that. Hope it's a simple fix.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the time, such problens are a bad wheel speed sensor.

The onlyt way to tell is to plug in a scanner and check the codes. On my knight, there is a round connector (under a protective cover) on the lower edge of the dash to the right of the steering column.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
On my Windsor 40PBT the ABS light stays on continously after starting the engine. The manual states that "the ABS dash indicator light can be used to obtain system faults by displaying a blink code". It then says:

"To retrieve blink codes

Turn ignition key to the ON position.
Using Systems Diagnostic Center located left of steering column below dashboard, depress and hold test button for three seconds. Indicator light will illuminate while test button is depressed.
After releasing test button, indicator lamp will turn off and blink code will be displayed. 1-1 will indicate no system faults"

The problem is, I can't find a "Systems Diagnostic Center" anywhere! Can anyone tell me where this may be?
Have any of you had a problem with the ABS light staying on, and if so, what did it take to fix this? Thanks for your help!
On mine the button they are talking about is as you stated, left and below, on the plate that holds the two diagnostic female plugs, covered with caps. Look for two round black caps about 1-1/2" wide next to the steering colum under the dash. There is a small button there as well. Another hint is to check for moisture in the basement compartment where the ABS controller is mounted. I had a similar issue and found a damp connector.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Check the wires to your wheel speed sensors for damage from rodents chewing on them. Common on vehicles that sit for some time.
tx2stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

Joe, My Rv is a bit older than yours but the ABS light stays on until the vehicle rolls about 10 feet. It then goes out and stays out. Maybe yours is the same???
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The manual for my Diplomat also stated that the indicator light is under the dash. In reality it is located in the front left baggage compartment under the driver. It is located on the inside wall, lower front. Follow the instructions you have to get the codes.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
The manual for my Diplomat also stated that the indicator light is under the dash. In reality it is located in the front left baggage compartment under the driver. It is located on the inside wall, lower front. Follow the instructions you have to get the codes.

When you said "indicator light" did you mean the pushbutton? On my coach the left front compartment under the driver has a lot of electrical stuff in it, including a connector for ABS diagnostics, but no pushbuttons.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll keep looking!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to Jesse in tech support at Monaco. He told me that the pushbutton was in the electrical compartment on the side of the coach under the driver. It is a black button on a small, maybe 3x3 circuit board near the bottom on the left side. He asked me to turn on the ignition key, press and hold the black button for 10 seconds to reset any trouble codes that were in there. I then took it out on the highway and drove it at normal speed for a mile or so. He was hoping that the light would go out after reaching highway speed, but it didn't work. I now have to do the routing of holding the button for three seconds and counting the blinks to determine the code. I will then call him back and he will tell me what the problem is. I will do this after lunch and hope it will be a SMALL problem! Thanks to all of you for trying to help me!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #10

Hopefully a fly doesn't start buzzing around you or someone yells at you as your trying to count....That always seems to be the thing when I am trying to count code flashes...and I get to start over.........lol
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I think I may have found the problem. I discovered that just touching the pushbutton switch will make the light go on and off. I think it's either a bad switch or a bad solder joint under it. I'm gonna take out the board tommorrow and see if I can fix it. I really hope it's just a bad solder joint because I'm pretty sure the switch is not available as a separate item so I would have to buy the whole board. Wish me luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am getting to this thread a bit late, but the board you are talking about is located in the Front Run Bay aka FRB. It's a small board with a black push button on it.

Now for some history of my ABS and board. Back in 2010 on my way to Alaska and back, the ABS light would come on and go off intermittently over thousands of miles. While in Alaska, I read a thread where it was recommended to exercise the switch while the ignition key was turned off. I did that and it temporarily cured the problem. I had to do that a few more times over the months following. Well, eventually the ABS light decided to stay on ALL the time around the middle of last year. I finally had it looked at Alliance Coach when I came to Florida for the winter. They replaced the board, $90, problem solved. When looking at the old board, there was rust that had migrated from the mounting screws to the board. It had either ruined the switch or the relay, not sure. I kept the board thinking that I would rebuild it for a spare. After looking at it closer, it was going to be more work than want it was worth. In the trash it went.

When the new board was installed, the tech had coated the mounting screws with RTV Silicone to eliminate water intrusion to the board.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Problem solved! I pulled the board out, resoldered the connections under the switch, sprayed the switch with contact cleaner w/lubricant, and it works great! No more ABS light! By the way, my Monaco manual is wrong where it tells how to retrive the trouble codes on the ABS system. It says to hold the button down for three seconds. The correct way is to hold the button down for more than one second but less than three seconds. Holding it down for three seconds actually causes it to show a trouble code that is not there!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #14

You lucky dog. When mine lit it was a bad tone ring on my right front wheel. I never have anything simple. How do you guys do it?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote