Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
AC Changeout

We have a 38' 2007 Monaco Cayman XL. We need to replace the bedroom AC which is a 13.5. At this time, if we upsize to a 15 instead of a 13.5 the cost differrence will be relatvely insignificant.
Our concerns are: will we be overloading the ductwork perhaps causing a noise problem? Will it help cool the forward area? Will it freeze the bedroom? How about excessive cycling of the unit?
We are relatively cool blooded and don't like (really can't stand) a COLD bedroom. We are only interested in making this change if there is a significant reason to do so.
Has anyone made this change?
Thanks
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you concerned that a 15K will freeze the bedroom why not install the 15K in the living room and move the 13.5K from the living room to the bedroom.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

If you are cooling with the 13 I would replace with same size. If you do choose to upgrade the 15 is not that big of a jump. Should work fine
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would definately upgrade to the 15k, and depending on cost swap the 15 to the front and the 13.5 to the rear.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In my 2009 model, it was an option to have a 15M BTU instead of the 13.5M BTU. I have the 15M BTU in both areas and they work great!

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I forgot to mention that the front unit has a heat pump and the unit is a 15.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have any of you RVer's with the 15,000 BTU heat pump low profile Penguin units notice an increase in noise from the 15,000 BTU unit versus the 13,500 BTU unit?

I upgraded the front unit from a 13,500 BTU to the 15,000 BTU and as soon as I turned it on I immediately noticed the higher noise level from the original unit. When replacing the rear a few months later, I stayed with the 13,500 BTU unit because of this increased noise.

Many times now if it isn't over 100F outside and need two A/C's running, we only have the rear on with the hallway door closed and it keeps the entire coach cool without the noise up front.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I heard stories a while back that they were having issues with the 15K making noise. I would hope by now they have resolved the issue. I would love to add a 15K to the front. In 100 degree weather we struggle to maintain 76-79 degrees.

Please let us know what you find. I would have thought your Cayman would have been similar to mine with two 13.5K heat pumps as standard.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my lapalma will maintain 72 degrees no problem in 100% /95 degree weather over a 120 miles from the ocean.
Does your unit have thermostatic control with 2 zones??
Id get the biggest unit possible with the lowest profile.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
2 years ago, my bedroom 13.5k sprung a leak. I put a 15k up front and moved the front 13.5k to the bedroom. The 15k is quieter than the 13.5K.

Dometic has a new and improved model that is supposed to be quieter than the past models.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Dometic has a new and improved model that is supposed to be quieter than the past models.
Which one is that? They appear to be making the Penguin II and the Brisk-Air.

In terms of duct noise, the 15k and 13.5k seem to flow the same CFMs. So the question is - is the compressor louder? (Note, I refer to the Brisk-Air in particular)
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
In this thread there have been posts referring to noise with the upgrade to the 15,000 BTU AC unit that we wanted to put in the rear. In addition, I have read on another site a posting about the upgrade to the 15,000 BTU AC unit causing a whining noise in their ducts that wasn't there with their previous 13,500 BTU AC unit.
My dealer has also contacted me and said it was suggested to him by the manufacturer that we not go to the 15,000 BTU AC unit in the rear since it could possibly freeze us out. .
So far we have been pleased with the performance of a combinaton of the 13,500 BTU AC unit in the rear and the 15,000 BTU combo unit in the front. We have not learned enough to convince us that the gains outweigh the possible problems and we are concerned about reengineering the AC system in the coach.
Since our two major concerns are noise and cold we have ordered the 13.5 unit. I really appreciate everyone's input and help.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
As I said, I have the 15M BTU w/heat pump in both front and back. I'm not bothered by any noise... either from the unit or from the ducting. However, I can't compare it to the 13.5M BTU unit... as I've never owned one.

One thing that I really like is that on cool mornings, I can use the heat pump instead of the furnace. The furnace works great, but is much louder that the heat pump... plus it uses propane! I'd rather use the free (in most RV parks) electricity.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... About a month ago my 13.5K Carrier Air V died (Coolant leak in a very hard to fix place so we replaced it).

Dropped a 15K Advent Air on the top in place of the carrier top unit. Observations.

The Advent top unit fits on the Carrier cealing and lower unit, uses the original carrier controls and sensors and such so no need to re-wire anyting save for I replaced ONE small socket and plugged in an adapter cable (the kit, which includes the mounting bolts, is 35 bucks from Advent, beats 2x that for the ceiling unit and cuts half an hour off the labor as well).

Power consumption 2005 Carrier 13.5K took 13.5 amps, New advent 15K 13.5 Amps
"Footprint" New unit is about the same height, a bit wider however. (on the roof)

Noise, yes it is louder, However if you run the fan on HIGH your mind shoudl very quickly block the noise even as it did with the old one.

I do notice the compressor more when it cycles though.

I also notice that if I choose "Emergency Cool" what I call meat locker mode, (Compressor will not be subject to thermostat control) it still cycles on and off, I am assuming this is due to the frost sensor.

Duct work seems to handle the load no problem.

AND when I'm on 30 amps and can only use one A/C it makes 11.111 percent more cold!!!! (A very good thing indeed) by directing the vents (closing some bedroom ones) IU avoid freezing my .... ur, you know what... .Off.