Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AC temperature sensor?

I have a sensor for each AC. The back bedroom is spot on, but the front one (mounted on the wall behind the passenger seat) varies the temp +/- 6 degree before shutting off. Does this mean the probe is going bad or can it be reprogrammed? Can it be replaced with a wall thermostat without messing up the EMS system? Thanks for any help!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same problem on my 2005 Ambassador. Mine was located under the tv, right behind the windshield. It would freeze you out in the kitchen area. I moved it over to the passenger side cabinet, just above the pass. seat. Don't know if it will help as have not taken a trip since the move. You have so much glass up front, windshield, side glass, and door being opened and closed, it is impossible to keep the area consistent.
One thing I did find on both of my probes, and many others have found, is the probe not sticking through to the cover. Remove the 2 screws holding the white cover. Pull the cover off and see if the probe is sticking down into the area behind the cover. On both of my probes, the probe was sticking up in the cabinet. This may help.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

No you can't replace them with a standard house thermostat because the AC unit and the thermostat are digitally controlled and designed to work together and the thermostat is programmed by a circuit board in the AC unit. Does this thermostat have a remote temp sensor which usually looks like a litlle white pastic dome with slots in it? Sometimes the problem is they put the theremostat on an outside wall so the outside temperature effects it through the wall. One thing you can try is to swap the front and back thermostats and see if the problem is still the same. This will tell you if you have a bad theremostat or not. Most likely if you swap them you need to also do a reset/reprogram which requires the MH to have power to it then turn the thermostat off by the power switch underneath it then while holding in both the MODE and ZONE button turn on that little power switch and count to three and release the buttons. You might want to try that first and see if it makes any difference.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Pardon me for not going out in the cold rain to check, However, the direction of the "vanes" in the thermostat cover also affect the sensor.
(Believe the vanes in the cover should run up & down = verticle and not left to right = horiz.)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

I may wrong here but there should be a bulb built on the board in the Comfort Control Center and you can use the thermostat location for the front air temps....as many are OEM......you would have to change the dip switch on the front rooftop unite to "no remote sensor" if you have the AC installation instructions from the manufacturer which one dip switch that is......
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wannabe......I did the same thing as "roscoesdad" and moved mine from under the TV to the cabinet above the passenger seat.....what a pain to do, the wire had hold downs in places that you couldn't access.

You may have enough spare wire on yours to move it away from its current location and more toward the center of the room, like a cabinet edge.

I also heard that you could eliminate that sensor and let the wall thermostat read the temp. I wouldn't mine doing this because my wall thermostat is in a hallway where the temperature would be more evenly maintained. Maybe someone will pop up with the complete process.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Its all a mater of air movement. If the coach is parked with the side with the temp sensors facing the sun, the wall will become very warm and the sensor will react accordingly but not accurately.

What I have done to correct this is to have sufficient air movement inside the coach so the sensors react to the air temperature inside the coach instead of the wall temperature.

After some experiencing, the problem has been solved by placing small (8”) fans, running on low, on the floor, facing straight up at the sensors so the sensors read the average coach air temperature instead of the wall temperature. Make sure that a cold air vent is not pointing directly at a temperature sensor. Problem solved.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It varies it only one degree,,,, I'd call that within design parameters for that device.

There is indeed an adjustment however on many thermostats, it has to compensate for the size of the A/C v/s the size of the room, Since this is not predictable, it's adjustable.

However if it's within 1 degree, I'd not touch it.