Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Access to leaky black tank valve

I have addressed this before but it needs more attention now. My valves are connected using cables which may have stretched. I also consider that the seal may be damaged. The black has had a seepage issue since I got it in March 2016. I added one of those Camco valves to give it a secondary place to block it but now it is leaking above that. Anti-freeze from winterizing is now dripping from the drain into the sanitary/water control compartment.
My inquiry is how to access the cables to either adjust or replace the seals in the black side? I cannot see any access from inside or under the bottom of the compartment. Surely someone else has had to repair theirs on a Monaco or Holiday Rambler gas coach like mine that can give advice as to how to get in there. Thanks!
vacationer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

vacationer04-

Go to the passenger side. Look in the compartment(s) opposite the wet bay (which is on the driver's side) for a removable hatch.

I have no idea if your coach is laid out similar to ours, but that is how I get access to the valves.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my passenger side (Workhorse W-22) is the battery compartment with no access panel due there being a 12V power panel. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #4

vacationer04-

By chance are there two compartments behind that door, one with the batteries (and electrical panel) and another for storage? The hatch on our coach is in that storage compartment. Or, is there a hatch in the front of the compartment behind that? I didn't see the one on our coach until I looked closely; it is about 14 by 20 inches in size, and tucked up against the top of the compartment. I believe it also provides the access for the in-tank chassis fuel pump. Your chassis, being a Workhorse, likely has the fuel pump in a different place.

If you can't find access from that side, then you'll have to look (as best you can) under the white panel in the wet bay to see if you can trace the path for the valve cables to the valves themselves. I use a camera to reach up and take pictures at arm's length. It may be that you need to remove the white panel to replace the valves.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same issues - only it is the grey tank valve that is hard to open/close. I also have a Vacationer on a W22 chassis and I can’t find access. There is no access panel on the passenger side so I am very interested in finding out an answer to this question!
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When it gets a little warmer and drier here, I am going to try to lower the wet bay control panel without removing all of the controls, to see if I can access the valves. There has to be a way short of going through the interior floor or cutting the metal underneath.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I got a warm day and accessed behind the wet bay panel only to find that the cable operated dump valve is as far back as could be installed, about 4 feet, and oriented so that the cable is about 6 feet long and arches around to the far side of that "compartment". There is no opening beside or under it due to water and fuel tanks and a large slide power box or vinyl floor above. The upper metal liner has no opening. What kind of stupid engineer would design an assembly that cannot be accessed to service the cable or seal? No wonder that they got in financial difficulties. I am lucky in that it only seeps liquid slowly enough that I can use an auxilliary Valterra valve that attaches to the hose hook-up.

Tags
black tank, leak, tank, valve