Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Accident

I want to give Monaco owners a heads up. We had an accident Friday.

We came to a stop at a light in the right most straight traveling lane.

While stopped a pickup truck was passing on the right in the right turn only lane.

The service access door on the passenger side (the one without a handle that allows you to access the Fresh, grey and black tanks) decided to open.

There are two screws that are supposed to hold it closed but apparently they rattled out.

The door swung up as the truck was passing. It caught his mirror which then forced the access door harder into into his door severely denting his door ripping off his mirror and breaking his window.

As you can imagine, The RVs access door was pushed forward violently bending the door in half, bending the hinge and moving the water heater forward into the forward compartment door.

So as a warning. You should learn where the two screws are and ensure they are not rattling loose.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear that. I have a couple of those "lockless" screwed doors myself. Thanks for the heads up. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for sharing, I need to check mine. I never thought of that happening.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have two of those doors on the passenger side. One for the tank bay just in front of the rear wheels and the other is my Fuel/LPG bay up front.

What I have done to both fo those bay doors is to mount a pair of gas springs on each of the doors similar in size and poundage as the other bay doors. Then I installed latches on the bottom to latch the doors closed when underway.

I now have easy access to each of those bays as there are places to use for storage of various items.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Richard could you post a picture or information on your "latches"? Do you lock the latches on the doors also? Good idea.........deSanford
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have two of those doors on the passenger side. One for the tank bay just in front of the rear wheels and the other is my Fuel/LPG bay up front.

What I have done to both fo those bay doors is to mount a pair of gas springs on each of the doors similar in size and poundage as the other bay doors. Then I installed latches on the bottom to latch the doors closed when underway.

I now have easy access to each of those bays as there are places to use for storage of various items.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'd like pics too please. Of how you attached the arms and which arms and latches you used.
Good idea to secure these.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it didn't happen on the first leg of a trip! I think I'll have to check those out because they swing open very wide.

Tks for the heads up!
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

Jeff753 and others
I also own a 2001 Dynasty tag. My door which covers the water tanks is held closed with two stainless steel latches that are like the ones that you see on tool chests: a wire loop that catches a protruding short spike on the bottom of the door, and a the loops are connected to a latch that when hooked on the spike, then snap back against the basement frame. Very solid. I am a new owner to this rig and thought it was factory installed. No screws in this rig. These snap type latches are very secure. I may be able to take some pictures.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Soory to learn about your accident. This is just bad luck that your door decided to open right there and then.

Here is what I did to mine: On the drivers side I have a door that opens with what I call a "Coca-Cola" key (this is the type key used for opening vending machines). I installed 2 locks like that on the passanger side door. Installation is very simple, and for drilling to holes in the door panel, a step-drill made work easy. This is what it looks like:

As I recall I bought the locks from Monaco, which means that i can use the same key for the new locks.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #10

I found the same issue on my 2010 Dip. 42 SKQ. I wanted to see what was behind this panel and found one screw missing and the other loose. The panel was held on by two bolts on one side of panel. Thanks to your problem I will recheck.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post

Richard could you post a picture or information on your "latches"? Do you lock the latches on the doors also? Good idea.........deSanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

I'd like pics too please. Of how you attached the arms and which arms and latches you used.
Good idea to secure these.

Guys,

Here are the photos that each of you had requested. There are two straps and I installed one latch on each strap. It's a crude method but works and has not caused any problems. Even if I have forgotten to close those two latches the gas springs will not let the door fly open by itself. The poundage is too strong.

I like what Danes-on-Tour has done with the barrel locks but I really don't want to drill through over 2 inches of door. I just needed something simple.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	40077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	40078  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
How long is the lock's "cylinder"? Great idea from the Great Dane. deSanford
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Soory to learn about your accident. This is just bad luck that your door decided to open right there and then.

Here is what I did to mine: On the drivers side I have a door that opens with what I call a "Coca-Cola" key (this is the type key used for opening vending machines). I installed 2 locks like that on the passanger side door. Installation is very simple, and for drilling to holes in the door panel, a step-drill made work easy. This is what it looks like:

As I recall I bought the locks from Monaco, which means that i can use the same key for the new locks.
I like this. I could get the same lock keyed as the fuse/battery bays. What did you do for the latching surface for th cam lock to grab? Photo?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I like this. I could get the same lock keyed as the fuse/battery bays. What did you do for the latching surface for th cam lock to grab? Photo?
Hi Jeff

I made no modification for the "grab". If you position the lock at the ideal position from the doors edge, the lock will catch the frame where the 2 rusty screws were. The locks are adjustable so you can set the "closing point" where you want it to be.

I can't offer you any pictures at the present. I am sitting 5,500 miles away from the MH in sunny old Denmark at present - sorry.

Here is where I got the locks from .

It is a Southco product. Southco part number E3-99_373_50, Monaco part number 54717.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote