Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
There was no problem untill Homer had me splice into that last wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It is possible that the switch was not the problem.. Computer (ECM) Failures do occur.. However I would trust Redlands techincians here as they do tend to know from a hole in the ground as they say. (They are some of the best in the business)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
As I said in the post,I DID remove the " Brake Switch " before I brought to the repair facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
FWIW I have BrakeSwitch installed and love it. Sorry for your trouble. I would have taken the BrakeSwitch out of the MH before I brought it to the repair facility, why muddy up the water. Homer was at the Brooksville FMCA Rally the first week in February. Did you have to give up the old ECU?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Don't get me wrong, I would be very upset too. What does wire A42 do? I am not an engineer but my understanding is this device is only a Switch. It opens and closes a connection. Even installing a switch in the wrong wire should not cause a component to fail, unless voltage was applied to somewhere it should not be. As long as you only did "one wire at a time" this should not have happened. Did you test drive the MH before you started the installation as indicated in the instructions? Do you have the old computer or was it returned as a core? I am Not trying to find blame on you. just trying to figure out what could have caused the unit to fail. If an open wire will cause the unit to fail we all need to know about it.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Did you ask Homer at BrakeSwitch if you could send the unit back to him so he could see if it was wired properly inside? Maybe there is something wrong with that unit.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I am not an engineer either that is why I set Homer the schemtic of our motor home that Monaco sent me.
I would think the expert/inventor of the " Brake Switch " would know what wires to use.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I would be very upset too. What does wire A42 do? I am not an engineer but my understanding is this device is only a Switch. It opens and closes a connection. Even installing a switch in the wrong wire should not cause a component to fail, unless voltage was applied to somewhere it should not be. As long as you only did "one wire at a time" this should not have happened. Did you test drive the MH before you started the installation as indicated in the instructions? Do you have the old computer or was it returned as a core? I am Not trying to find blame on you. just trying to figure out what could have caused the unit to fail. If an open wire will cause the unit to fail we all need to know about it.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
He told ME to take it and have it checked out??

Quote:
Did you ask Homer at BrakeSwitch if you could send the unit back to him so he could see if it was wired properly inside? Maybe there is something wrong with that unit.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
The above is how Monaco's started working during the mid 2007 model years. No Brake Switch add-on needed..
Not quite the same... the cruise control may be functional with the exhaust brake turned on, but normal operation is now that when the exhaust brake is on, and cruise control is not active, and you fully let off the accelerator, the exhaust brake comes on and slows you down. There is no way to coast with the switch on, other than to feather the accelerator with light pressure.

With the Brake Switch, and the stock exhaust brake turned on, letting off the accelerator does not activate the exhaust brake, so you are able to coast without feathering the accelerator pedal. But, when you apply (or just tap) the service brake, then the exhaust brake will come on, and stays on until you apply some accelerator (or you get below the minimum speed.)

It's a subtle difference.

Some engines can be reprogrammed so that the exhaust brake works in "latched mode." The Brake Switch essentially does the same thing without reprogramming your engine computer.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #22

Quote:
It's a subtle difference.
Must be real subtle since you said the same thing in both paragraphs.
My cruise control is functional with the EB turned ON If the CC is OFF and I let off the Accel, the brake comes on and slows me down. I fully agree

In your second paragraph, you state with """exhaust brake turned on, letting off the accelerator does not activate the exhaust brake, so you are able to coast without feathering the accelerator pedal.""" Yep, sure enough
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Can you tell me more about the " latched mode "
Thanks.

Some engines can be reprogrammed so that the exhaust brake works in "latched mode." The Brake Switch essentially does the same thing without reprogramming your engine computer.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Must be real subtle since you said the same thing in both paragraphs.
My cruise control is functional with the EB turned ON If the CC is OFF and I let off the Accel, the brake comes on and slows me down. I fully agree

In your second paragraph, you state with """exhaust brake turned on, letting off the accelerator does not activate the exhaust brake, so you are able to coast without feathering the accelerator pedal.""" Yep, sure enough
No, I didn't say the same thing in both paragraphs. You seem to be a little sarcastic with your "sure enough" comment? Or am I mis-reading you.

Let me try one more time, in case you're not seeing it... Same starting conditions in both cases: cruise OFF, stock exhaust switch ON, and you lift your foot completely off the accelerator:
  • The stock configuration you will not coast, because the exhaust brake will immediately engage.
  • With the "Brake Switch" installed you will coast, and the exhaust brake won't engage until you tap the service brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
Can you tell me more about the " latched mode "
Thanks.

Quote:
Some engines can be reprogrammed so that the exhaust brake works in "latched mode." The Brake Switch essentially does the same thing without reprogramming your engine computer.
I wish I could, but I've only really heard about it second hand. A while back I did some searching on it, and I thought I found a document that described it for Cummins engines, but now the only things I can find on it apply to Caterpillar engines. Maybe I imagined the Cummins document?

But if I recall correctly, the gist of it is that the exhaust brake can operate in "Lift mode" (I think that's what they called it) or "Latch Mode." Lift mode is how it comes from the factory. In "Latch Mode" the operation depends on whether the cruise control is engaged (actively controlling your speed.) In the following discussion, it is assumed that the exhaust brake switch is on (if it's off, the exhaust brake will never come on.)
  • Cruise Engaged:
    • Lifting your foot off the accelerator does NOT engage the exhaust brake.
    • Pressing the service brake pedal cancels the cruise control, and engages the exhaust brake.
    • Pressing the "Cancel" button on the cruise control cancels cruise, and then:
      • Engages the exhaust brake if the accelerator pedal was released
      • Does not engage the exhaust brake if the accelerator pedal is pressed, even slightly.
  • Cruise Not Engaged:
    • Lifting your foot off the accelerator does NOT engage the exhaust brake.
    • Pressing the service brake pedal engages the exhaust brake.
To summarize, the exhaust brake only sets if the accelerator pedal is completely up, and either the service brake is pressed or the cruise control is disengaged with the Cancel button. Once triggered, the exhaust brake stays on (even if the service brake is released) until the accelerator is touched, the cruise control is engaged, or the exhaust brake switch is turned off.

While I have heard of a Monaco/Cummins coach owner claim to have had this done, I can't find any Cummins documentation that says any of this applies to Cummins engines. So I can't really say if this is an option for us or not.

If any Monaco or Cummins owners have had this "Latch Mode" programmed into their coach, please let us know the details: how it works, how you like it, who did it, and what it cost to do it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you ShapeShifter, Excellent description.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
ShapeShifter, Your description is correct.

I had Latch Mode programed into my coach by Cummins. One of the best improvements I've made to date.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I had Latch Mode programed into my coach by Cummins. One of the best improvements I've made to date.
Cool! So, Cummins does support it after all!

What did it cost? How many people with blank glassy stares did you have to deal with before you found someone who knew what you were talking about?

Do you know of any documents that describe it? (Preferably ones that describe it in detail, but I'll settle for anything at this point!)
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Corkey,
Where did you have the work done.
It looks like I will have it done also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
ShapeShifter, Your description is correct.

Closed Thread