Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Added a Horn

I was prepping the coach for Quartzsite and fixing all of the little things I do once a year. I had a project that I been waiting to do and got it done yesterday.

I know some coaches come with both a regular horn and air horns. There have been occasions where I really didn't want to blast someone with the air horns, especially when driving through town. I've also missed them when the coach is aired down and I just wanted to give someone a short toot, like the guy getting to close as he backs up.

I grabbed a set of horns off of a crashed Ford. I didn't want one of those obnoxious chrome horn buttons with the black knob, so I bought an old style starter button. You can see the chrome button to the left of the column. The location is easily accesible.

I attached the horns to the frame, just inside the generator door on the driver's side. The mount was already attached tot he horns and worked/fit perfectly.

The wiring was simple because of the placement of the switch and the horns. I just ran the switch wires down through the steering column boot and to the horns. I picked up the power from the adjacent driver's side power center. I added a fuse and plugged it all in. The Ford horns are pretty loud and have a good sound.

I got the horns for free, so the whole project cost about $20.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I was prepping the coach for Quartzsite and fixing all of the little things I do once a year. I had a project that I been waiting to do and got it done yesterday.

I know some coaches come with both a regular horn and air horns. There have been occasions where I really didn't want to blast someone with the air horns, especially when driving through town. I've also missed them when the coach is aired down and I just wanted to give someone a short toot, like the guy getting to close as he backs up.

I grabbed a set of horns off of a crashed Ford. I didn't want one of those obnoxious chrome horn buttons with the black knob, so I bought an old style starter button. You can see the chrome button to the left of the column. The location is easily accesible.

I attached the horns to the frame, just inside the generator door on the driver's side. The mount was already attached tot he horns and worked/fit perfectly.

The wiring was simple because of the placement of the switch and the horns. I just ran the switch wires down through the steering column boot and to the horns. I picked up the power from the adjacent driver's side power center. I added a fuse and plugged it all in. The Ford horns are pretty loud and have a good sound.

I got the horns for free, so the whole project cost about $20.00.
Good job and it even works!

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Try doing that today here Don..it's 14 degrees out and going down to zero tonight by me..Nice job by the way...I might do that to mine after the weather warms up...I have the new Mega Tech board (revised 12/10) for better cross charging ready to install but it's just been too cold...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sheesh Don......I thought you remembered how to post pics for us "old folks" with poor eyesight!

By the way...I sent you emails last night...can you check and let me know??

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did remember to go to the properties to copy the image info, but learned something new. I copied the properties info while the photo was in the album. I see now that if I open that photo and copy the properties it makes for a bigger picture. Probably a simpler way, but easy for me.

Have Sacs take a look at the shine on the gen cover! Give him something to do.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don,
Did Monaco install "as standard" a "back-up alarm"?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wideslide......no back-up alarm as standard or option in my year model.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Back up alarm is on my bucket list. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Hey guys,

Here's and easy install backup alarm:
Back-up Alarms & Monitors - JCWhitney

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #10

I added some extra "Diesel Train" horns. I installed a foot switch in the foot well by my left foot. I find it more convient than a push button. It allows me to keep both hands on the wheel.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote