RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Mike (Cavalryman), You are correct in your assumption. The new battery is separate from the rest of the coach. The only connection is the Amp-L-Start, which is basically a 12 volt battery charger/tender. Therefore, the boost function is not available. I figure that if this battery were to go dead, I could easily jump it from my toad.

In my case the generator was connected to the house batteries. I have come to believe that it just depended on what day of the week it was when they drew up the design.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #16

Where did you tie the trigger wire for amp l start into. I know you have one to ground, one to pos on battery. Where did you put the other?
Pogo397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #17

What would be wrong with leaving the house batteries hooked up to the generator.
Pogo397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo397 View Post
What would be wrong with leaving the house batteries hooked up to the generator.
Reason against hooking the two together. Electricity doesn't care which direction it flows through the cable. Leaving the house batteries hooked up will draw down the additional generator battery.

Reason for connecting both together. If the house batteries would have enough power to start the generator with a proper cable, then they wouldn't draw the generator battery down enough to cause a problem. This would simply put the generator battery into the house battery bank.

The image shows a 12v 'car' battery. Those aren't designed to be deep cycled like the house batteries. If there were room for another pair of 6v golf cart batteries, then hooking them together might make sense, but there might be other reasons to not do that.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the delay in answering. I've been on the road.

mriderLeon hit the nail on the head as to why I didn't connect it directly to the house batteries.

Pogo397, On my coach there is a terminal post just above where I mounted the battery. This terminal post was where the generator 12 Volt cable attaches. We relocated this cable to the new battery and attached the source wire for the Amp-L-Start to the terminal.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery