Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 04:19 AM   #1

Adding a water heater

I am planning to add a small water heater to the cabinet under the kitchen sink in our 2012 Monaco Knight, 37'. This cabinet is located in the full length slideout. Any ideas on how to get electric to this water heater? My one idea is to run a cord from the refrigerator plug through the other cabinets to a plug under the sink. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Alan,

On my Knight I don't have a Washer/Dryer but they are wired and the wires are behind the refrigerator somewhere. One is a 20amp on it's own breaker. See if you can find it through the access panel on the outside wall behind the refrigerator. Using the refrigerator plug would draw current through your inverter and may overload it.
I am planning on using this circuit to power a two burner induction cooktop one of these days.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Alan,

On my Knight I don't have a Washer/Dryer but they are wired and the wires are behind the refrigerator somewhere. One is a 20amp on it's own breaker. See if you can find it through the access panel on the outside wall behind the refrigerator. Using the refrigerator plug would draw current through your inverter and may overload it.
I am planning on using this circuit to power a two burner induction cooktop one of these days.
Thanks ,I will have to take a look . I never would have thought about that . I figured if I used the refrigerator outlet that I would have to add a switch and just switch it on when we needed hot water at the sink.We have those small heaters at all of our sinks in the house and they are great .Instant hot water. For some reason it takes for ever to get hot water at the kitchen sink in the RV......Alan
Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just remember that you have to have the right water flow for the water heaters to work!
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard way of powering in a slide involves an articulated arm under the slide out and flexible wire with junction boxes, You could run flexible all the way if you wished.. ALternate is to run the power to OUTSIDE and plug into the parks' 20 amp outlet. Just did that with a friend's new Hott-Rodd
Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #6

Before you branch off the refrigerator outlet make sure the circuit doesn't become overloaded by the heater. If your refrigerator circuit is one supplied inverter power pick another source. You sure don't want to depleted your batteries to power the hot water heater.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Alan,

I happened to be doing some other unrelated wire searching and the area under the sink compartment floor is the place to look for the washer and dryer wires. I took out the bottom drawer to the left of that compartment and you can see all the wires that come into the slide. Removing the floor in that compartment should give you access to all wiring for the slide. Using a Non-Contact Voltage Tester (Klein Tools NCVT-2 Dual Range Non-Contact Voltage Tester - - Amazon.com) you should be able to isolate those wires with only their single circuit breaker on.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Alan,

I happened to be doing some other unrelated wire searching and the area under the sink compartment floor is the place to look for the washer and dryer wires. I took out the bottom drawer to the left of that compartment and you can see all the wires that come into the slide. Removing the floor in that compartment should give you access to all wiring for the slide. Using a Non-Contact Voltage Tester (Klein Tools NCVT-2 Dual Range Non-Contact Voltage Tester - - Amazon.com) you should be able to isolate those wires with only their single circuit breaker on.
I will check this out . I looked behind the refrigerator today but did not find the wires but I only had a short time so I did not look any further, thanks.....Alan
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

I was up to our RV today and I found the outlets for the Washer and Dryer. They are on the RV wall behind the pantry cabinet next to the refrigerator. I took the two drawers out that are at the foot of the bed and the outlets can be accessed from the top opening....Alan
Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Alan, I had not looked back there yet. I was getting ready to remove the panel in the back of the Washer/Dryer cabinet to look for those, now I don't have to. I wanted to add a new outlet right above that drawer to use in the bedroom that was not part of the inverter circuit. I will start a new post with all the "adjustments" I have made to the electrical system as soon as I think I am done.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #11

I installed our water heater yesterday. I used the dryer outlet as I figured we would probably never install one. I put a 2 1/2 gallon heater under the sink in the front right corner and it works great.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That's great Alan, how about posting a picture and info on the unit you installed?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Could a recirculating 12 volt dc water pump device under the kitchen sink keep the water hot? You would have to run a return line to the hot water tank. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #14

Quote:
That's great Alan, how about posting a picture and info on the unit you installed?

The heater I installed is a 2 1/2 gal heater made by Reheem. As far as pictures I have had absolutely no luck in posting them but when I get up to the RV next time I will take one and try again.

Tags
heater, water, water heater