Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

Adjusting entry door strike bolts

Has anyone had to adjust the strike bolts?? I need to but so far unable to loosen the strike bolts. The whole strike bolt assembly will turn a little as I try to loosen. Any one have any thoughts? I have sprayed some lube on but no help. Is there a trick?? I dont care to put my weight into the bolts for fear of not so good results.

Thanks
Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ed, The bolts on ours takes a 8mm Allen wrench. Most likely it's the same for yours. I understand that Monaco used to give a eight hour class to there techs on how to adjust the entry doors. Most likely the assembly tech that in stalled ours missed the class. Here are pictures of the strikers that I modified.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ed S....This might be of some help. Adjusting entrance door.doc

handle adjustment.pdf.

One other note....When my door becomes hard to open it needs lubing. I spray lubricant into every latch, handle and lock hole. I really go crazy with the lube until fluid is dripping down the plastic door cover. I wipe it up and the door opens easy for another year. I also tighten every screw around the door and frame once a year to keep rattles down.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Has anyone had to adjust the strike bolts?? I need to but so far unable to loosen the strike bolts. The whole strike bolt assembly will turn a little as I try to loosen. Any one have any thoughts? I have sprayed some lube on but no help. Is there a trick?? I dont care to put my weight into the bolts for fear of not so good results.

Thanks
Ed

These strike bolts are supposed to float. If you can't make them move back and force slightly then you need to lube them until they float.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #5

Mine are adjustable with a 5/8 scocket. The manual says to use a 5/8 to adjust in and out out.

Ed
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Drifter....What advantage did milling off the ends do for the door adjustment/closure. I know it would certainly help me from hanging in the air from the post after my shorts caught on it for the 10th time
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
These strike bolts are supposed to float. If you can't make them move back and force slightly then you need to lube them until they float.

Bob
Actually, I meant move up and down. The studs should float up and down to allow the door to close without interfernence but not in or out so the door will close tight.

Make sure your screen door is adjusted correctly. We had a noise sometimes from the door while traveling down the road. It turned out to be the screen door rubbing against the door.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don, I had the same thing happen as you, My cargo shorts got hooked on the striker and I almost went head first into the front wheel hub cap with my face. Granted the smash in the face may have helped my looks, but I knew it would hurt.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #9

This thread is one of the many reasons why I so much enjoy the IRV2 forum and especially the Monaco Owners forum.

Came home the other night and the front door to the coach wouldn't open. As luck would have it our 10 year old grandson was spending the week with us and so he climbed through the window and opened the door from the inside.

The next morning I searched the forum for help and found this thread. By following the two links posted by Diplomat Don in the third post of the thread I was able to determine the cause was the the floating, or rather non-floating bolts in the door frame. After loosening them, which took as much will power as muscle since one was really hard to break loose, then spraying everything with silicone, we now have an outside door latch that works and sounds just like new.

So my hat is off to all the members of this forum who so freely share their knowledge making it easy for someone else to solve the same problem.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #10

Still have to get mine to break loose

Ed