Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ADVICE! Extending slides with AIR only leveling

All,

I have read extensively here and other sites about the Monaco recommendation to extend the slides at "ride height". Most all of these threads and posts ultimatly end up with a unit that is leveled with jacks. I have no jacks.
I park and push automatic leveling and then moments later the air suspension provides me a level coach. I have then extended the slides and consistently DO NOT require any re-leveling.
MY QUESTION and CONCERN: I have found myself in situations where the parking spot leans to the point where I need to use the manual air leveling process. If I were to extend the slide with that lean it would significantly strain the mechanism where when it is leveled there is smooth operation. So I am stumped as to what to do.........Please advise.
thanks
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I carry boards to drive up on to help level at ride height before letting the coach do its magic.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I just extend my slides then hit the "magic button" and let the coach level itself, been doing this since 2007 with no problems.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
We have air leveling on our Windsor and I closely questioned the techs at Monaco, Coburg, about when to run the slides out and in. They said that the slides could be run out or in whenever the coach was level. That makes sense since the air leveling system makes the coach level in the same manner whether it's in the travel mode or parked. i.e. inflating and/or deflating the various air bags to adjust the coach's attitude.

That said, I did not ask them about what to do in circumstances such as you describe. We have never had an occasion where the air leveling system did not automatically make the coach level. I'd e-mail or call Coburg just to make sure.
877-466-6226 or orservice@navistarrv.com

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

My 03 dynasty 42' has a tag and air only leveling. I keep 4 2x12s 18" long in the front of the gen. If I have the bad luck to get a site that is more than 2" out of level I just put boards down or stack them and get it level. I out of habit press the auto level button then when all the yellow lights go out I turn the key off and I tell the boss that she can put the slides out. Don U
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have air only on my 05 dynasty w/4 slides. I always run the slides out at ride height and then hit the level button. I also start up before leaving the site and get the coach to ride height and then bring in the slides. Never had a problem with slides binding, scraping or sticking. Always work as advertised. Here is the a quote from the owners manual for a 2008 dynasty:

"CAUTION: Never move the motorhome with any slide room extended. Perform the slide room operation with the air suspension system full".

On a side note: When I contacted the techs shortly after I bought the coach, I was told the slides were assembled when the coach was at ride height and should be extended and retracted at ride height.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On my 08 Camelot, I level (air only), then put out the slides. Never had an issue. But the manual says opposite.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #8

If you have the "Valid" air-only system the manufacturer and Monaco originally intended for you to have the slides out - then do a "auto" level. My understanding of the system is that it first attempts to level to the lowest corner of the coach not the other way around. It may just be that the system does not have the travel movement to lower the coach (level it) on the uneven sites that you are choosing. So it stops short of the task, then you do the manual level as you are describing.

Personally, If I was in a situation where the air levelling couldn't do its thing to make our Scepter level, I would pick another spot - or start blocking.

Adam.
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Also, I have found that if it says "slope" when you try you auto level, you can press auto about 3 more time and it will start to level. I have to do this in my driveway. I end up out one dot front to back, but plenty level for me and the fridge.

I have not seen this "feature" in the documentation.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Interestingly the DVD that came with the 05 signature states
Raise the air bags using the leveler
Extend the slides then auto level
In reverse
Start the coach raise the airbags
Turn off the coach
Bring in the slides
Sounds crazy to me cause the coach could have a twist in it or Kay over one side
I've always leveled first to put out the slides.
But I hadn't thought of raising the airbags first - and frankly see no reason other than if the stern was high to start with and you crush the stone guard.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that was the procedure Monaco taught.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #11

Steve that is interesting because for my 2004 Signature with no jacks it says to level the mh first then deploy slides. Then when I leave I suck in the slides then go to Travel Mode. My guess is that it really doesn't make much difference as long as the mh is not on too much of a slope. It doesn't appear that the airleveling system puts the mh into a bind like the jacks do. My previous mh had jacks and I could put that chassis into a real bind if I wasn't careful. So much so that it was difficult to open or close doors. I have heard horror stories on windshields popping out when using jacks. Air leveling is a lot more gentle way to level the mh.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Works either way BUT....if you are on a site that is very far off level and one corner is all the way down it could create a bind for the slides. Realize that even though the airbag looks like it has air in it, there is a hard cone inside that the coach may be resting on.

I'm not picky about "full air up" on a pretty level spot, but on one that has bags really full on one corner and really low on another I air up and then pull slides in.

On another note my buddies 10S he has to have the engine off to pull slides in. Mine is wired so I can crank, air and pull slides in last, drive off with the engine idling. His is an 03, mine is an 06 just more Monaco weird stuff. Both are air only rigs.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is an addendum to the original owners manual I found for the 2006 Dynasty/Executive hydraulic leveling.

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...6_Dyn_Exec.pdf
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #14

Stumped as well

We also have no trouble just hitting the button and letting the coach do its thing. My question is: do you extend slides prior to leveling or after?
Owners manual says extend slides first-we have 4 slides?
Chuck C.0606 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling