Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Advice Please - Slide Leak

Hello all, I hope someone on the forum might have some suggestions for a leaking slide. Some background first. We have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38' with two slides. The coach has been previously owned. For the past two years we have been upgrading various parts. This is our first long trip and we have experienced a leaking living room slide. Apparently the water pools on the topper and leaks to the top of the slide. The result has been the insulation inside the coach above the couch is very wet. I would like your opinion on the following project.

1. Replace the slide topper awning with a 15 oz. product
2. Take the slide top apart and replace the soggy insulation
3. cover the slide top with a rubberized roof with a 2 degree slope to the rear.

It looks like the previous owner had the same problem because the vinyl inside is stained. I would appreciate any advice.

Equip. Added: Banks Powerpak, Koni Shocks, Motion Control Valves, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, Supersteer Trim Unit, Air Force One Tow Brake, Smart Tire
bdixon2297526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I had a leak in the bedroom slide. Water would drip off the bottom corners of the slide when it was open or closed. I thought it was the seals but it turned out to be a hole in the Eturnabond tape on the outside top rear corner about an inch down the side from the top. Ruined the bottom of my slide. You should remove your awning and using your jacks, tilt the coach toward the slide with the slide out. Then use a hose and apply water starting at the outside of the slide and very slowly work your way toward the coach. This should give you an idea where the water is getting in. But first do a good inspection of the slide roof area, especially where the sealing tape is used covering screws. The screws often break through the tape from friction during use. From my experience a very small hole will allow significant amounts of water in. Mine was about 1/4 inch long slit and did not look like a hole.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After you get through checking and repairing as Rex has suggested you might want to tilt the RV about 2 deg to the slideout side when its extended.
Walt 2000 dyn
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion Rex. As you stated in your reply a small hole can result in a BIG leak. I found a leak in the same spot you had, fixed that one but I guess I've got more.

I'm just at the brainstorming phase right now. But, I think that I will have to get into the slide out roof itself in order to remove the soaked insulation. We are traveling the Northwest and have had some very wet weather. And, I guess the 2 degree slope Walter suggested is also a good option. Again thanks for the suggestions.

Equip. Added: Banks Powerpak, Koni Shocks, Motion Control Valves, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, Supersteer Trim Unit, Air Force One Tow Brake, Smart Tire
bdixon2297526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will find the ceiling insulation is foam, not the conventional batt type insulation you find in stick houses. At least that is the way my slide was made. If your slide topper has arms that are shaped like a question mark at the top and into the awning tube, you have an Carefree Omega which is no longer made. To access the entire top of your slide you will need to remove the topper. If you do have the Omega, contact me rbdtanasi @ yahoo.com (remove the two extra spaces by the @) and I will send you a write-up I did on removing the awning.

On my coach, the problem is that water draining off the roof puddles at the awning when the awning is up and causes the thread to rot. When the slide is out water drains onto the awning. On the Omega awning, unlock the arms and the awning will pull down over the window. Doing this helps keep water from collecting on top of the awning.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote