Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #15

I was in the HVAC for 25 years and I'll go with what Gary says on the filters. The dirtier the filter the better it works,As long as the airflow isn't restricted it's doing it's job.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Ok Gary I'll bite....what's wrong with Farr Ecolites that comes stock on Monaco's and a bunch of other coaches? And with some internal pics and specs which I couldn't find on the Cummins site, what makes the AH8503 worth 33% more in cost than the Eco series?
Thanks

I do not think ours is worth that price. Did you price it at a Cummins distributor or RV dealer? Shop around, there are dealers who can do better. Try International Truck who used to be the lowest overall cost distributor of our products.

I do not like the Ecolite air filter as I have investigated too many engine dusting situations where we could not find the air cleaner to be at fault but still plenty of evidence the dust came through the air cleaner. On the ISL 400HP engines you need 950 CFM air flow at peak HP. A typical Ecolite will be about 24 inches long and 9.75 inches diameter per the inner element dimensions. Those are rated to flow that much. That air cleaner can flow that much but the face velocity is too high for the paper to be able to trap and hold the dust particles. Since all air filters improve in efficiency with the collection of dust, the Ecolite with high air flow is compromised due to the high flow pulling the dust through the paper thus prolonging or even preventing the collection of a "dust cake" that increases the efficiency of the element. OEM builders like the small compact design not knowing that it comes at a "cost". I lay the blame on the issues I have seen with this product on the shoulders of the chassis builders who select this product because they want as reasonably small package to allow the coach builder more room for their design features.

If you use your MH in the Southwest or any arid to semi-arid climate with higher levels of airborne dust, this is not your air cleaner. The bad news is that it is hard to replace this product with a more efficient and larger air cleaner as that will require more room........something I doubt you have.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Glad Monaco used the 11"x 24"
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
I do not think ours is worth that price. Did you price it at a Cummins distributor or RV dealer? Shop around, there are dealers who can do better. Try International Truck who used to be the lowest overall cost distributor of our products.

I do not like the Ecolite air filter as I have investigated too many engine dusting situations where we could not find the air cleaner to be at fault but still plenty of evidence the dust came through the air cleaner. On the ISL 400HP engines you need 950 CFM air flow at peak HP. A typical Ecolite will be about 24 inches long and 9.75 inches diameter per the inner element dimensions. Those are rated to flow that much. That air cleaner can flow that much but the face velocity is too high for the paper to be able to trap and hold the dust particles. Since all air filters improve in efficiency with the collection of dust, the Ecolite with high air flow is compromised due to the high flow pulling the dust through the paper thus prolonging or even preventing the collection of a "dust cake" that increases the efficiency of the element. OEM builders like the small compact design not knowing that it comes at a "cost". I lay the blame on the issues I have seen with this product on the shoulders of the chassis builders who select this product because they want as reasonably small package to allow the coach builder more room for their design features.

If you use your MH in the Southwest or any arid to semi-arid climate with higher levels of airborne dust, this is not your air cleaner. The bad news is that it is hard to replace this product with a more efficient and larger air cleaner as that will require more room........something I doubt you have.
Spike45...Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!
You have brought up new questions and concerns now though ...Is there any chart showing the different filters air flow ratings?? How do we know that the filter installed has enough flow??
(We use the AF25354 on our 400 ISL.)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #19

MM: Are you sure that is your AF. Our Dynasty has the same engine ( 425ISL) and uses a P537448 Donaldson which crosses to an AH 8503 FG. This filter is 25 inches long and flows 1200 CFM @ 5 inches of H20. Perhaps your unit has to use a smaller fiter due to rad position.

BTW that FG filter is available @prices from $112.57 to just over $140.00 for a Wix
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Racor Fuel Filters and Fuel Filter / Water Separators

Air Flow info...BTW Ecolite is a division of Racor-Parker, pretty well know in the filtration world.

OR....

The P537448-02 will handle 1200 CFM and can flow either direction.

Cliff Darby | Engine Aftermarket Tech Support.
Donaldson Co., Inc. | Engine Aftermarket
Phone: 952-887-3951 | 800-374-1374 x 3951 | Fax: 952-887-3716

In answer to my question to Donaldson some time back.

The 11x24 also crosses to: NAPA 7448.....WIX 53-7448....FG AH8503...Ecolite 062891-002
Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #21

I would love to set up my ISM with a Optiair 1300 but I can't figure out how to plumb it in the available space. From the literature I have seen the outlet for these housings is on the end of the housing and the inlet is on the side. If it could flow the other direction I think I could make it work.

Any thoughts Spike45? Are there any vendors around either online or otherwise who would be willing to help a motorhomer noodle through a conversion? I really am not comfortable with the Ecolite but it's what's back there.

Thanks for any input.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #22

Often when you buy a filter that is not a popular item they are all made by one company. I have some Wix fuel filters for our Bluebird. They are in Wix boxes but are stamped Racor. The Wix air filter for our last MH was also not made by Wix. In the automotive world many of the oddball filters are made by Champion ( not the spark plug company).
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Steve...check the info above. That filter can flow either direction so maybe it will fit for you.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #24

MonacoMama,

Few air filter companies publish the air flows on their products. However, they will tell you the rated flow if you call their technical support groups. When I get back in the office tomorrow, I will look up yours. The filter you are using fits a Donaldson Radial Seal housing. I am always glad to hear that the Farr Ecolite filter is not being used. I am no fan of that filter as I have seen more dusted engines with that filter operating in ISL and high dust environments than I care to.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I would love to set up my ISM with a Optiair 1300 but I can't figure out how to plumb it in the available space. From the literature I have seen the outlet for these housings is on the end of the housing and the inlet is on the side. If it could flow the other direction I think I could make it work.

Any thoughts Spike45? Are there any vendors around either online or otherwise who would be willing to help a motorhomer noodle through a conversion? I really am not comfortable with the Ecolite but it's what's back there.

Thanks for any input.
I know what you want, Steve, as the available room does not make installation easy. Only the Ecolite product is advertised as dual flow, that and all the aftermarket replacements like ours and everybody else. The problem with that is that air filters clean better in one direction, not both. It is called the 'wire side'. The difference is in the media. The OptiAir only flows outside-in as opposed to you present setup of inside-out with the Ecolite.

I spent a week in Arizona this past January looking at how we could replace the Ecolite on fire trucks that were having repeat dusting issues. The constraint on all models except one was.....no place to put it.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Often when you buy a filter that is not a popular item they are all made by one company. I have some Wix fuel filters for our Bluebird. They are in Wix boxes but are stamped Racor. The Wix air filter for our last MH was also not made by Wix. In the automotive world many of the oddball filters are made by Champion ( not the spark plug company).
Actually, it is Champ of Salem Illinois. They also make Luberfiner.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #27

Thanks for the correction. With you around we have to watch that everything is right . Or else!!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Check post 20 above regarding air flow. The paste from Cliff Darby at Donaldson Tech support is a direct email response regarding airflow directions.

Not to be disparaging but I begin to wonder abour sweeping statements like "only Ecolite advertises dual flow" and when you do cross references you end up with all these other numbers.

Kind of like the consultant that becomes an expert when 500 miles from home.... just saying.

I like this forum for help in finding what works, not particularly, only this product works.