RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Well, I have all four front bags removed. Two of them completely replaced. parts for a messed up so I won't have the other two for the front till next week.
Several of the back bags are checked also. So I've decided to replace those as well.
I'll try to post a write-up on the procedure and some pictures later next week.
A project not for the faint of heart but not insurmountable either.
Appreciate any/all photos and write-up you can provide.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
John, sorry that I was incorrect on the double vs single bellows on your coach. My diplomat had the double on the front. As you probably found out the big single ones are very hard to collapse to get back in. You may or may not be aware that the rear wheel surrounds are hinged or are on my dip. You can fold them up or easier take them right off. I had broken one of mine that I had to replace so was easier to replace bags before surround. I was able to get bottom in and with several pry bars finally the top. I wouldn't have been able to do it with wheel surround in place. I would try collapsing the bag and holding it with ratchet or s cam straps. Get hem in place, screw driver above and below to allow removal of straps the pull out screw drivers. Good luck and hope these suggestions can help. Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they were a buggar to compress. Used a cargo strap and slowly released it once pryed in place.
No hinges on the Beaver in the rear. I will have those in hand next week. Hoping it won't be too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
John, sorry that I was incorrect on the double vs single bellows on your coach. My diplomat had the double on the front. As you probably found out the big single ones are very hard to collapse to get back in. You may or may not be aware that the rear wheel surrounds are hinged or are on my dip. You can fold them up or easier take them right off. I had broken one of mine that I had to replace so was easier to replace bags before surround. I was able to get bottom in and with several pry bars finally the top. I wouldn't have been able to do it with wheel surround in place. I would try collapsing the bag and holding it with ratchet or s cam straps. Get hem in place, screw driver above and below to allow removal of straps the pull out screw drivers. Good luck and hope these suggestions can help. Don
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #32

Front Air Bags on R4R-A Roadmaster Chassis (2005 Cheetah)

Well I finally got to replace the front air bags that initiated this post. That you all for the helpful suggestions that made this project less of a pain in the A**.

In the process I discovered a few techniques that made the project easier and I want to share them. While every chassis and air bag set up is different for those working on a 2005 R4R-A Roadmaster this may be helpful.

1)Safety - Not being a regular mechanic laying and working under a 39K motor home can be a bit unnerving. I spent the $100 and bought a pair of 12 ton jack stands from HF to support the coach. Used the leveling jack to raise the coach, then placed the jack stands and released pressure on the jacks. Easy peasy.

2) Compressing the air bags is much easier using ratchet cargo straps but once compressed and in place, the straps can be a real pain. I found that once compressed and partly in place I had to remove them to get the straps off. I found it easier and quicker to compress with the strap and then hold compressed with both hands and put in place from underneath the chassis.

3) The original air bags for this chassis had a 3/4" FPT air inlet. The new ones have a 1/4" FPT air inlet. The connection to the air hose is not standard. As a result it is best to re-use the 3/4" brass adapter from the Original bags. In order to do this I used a 3/4" to 3/8" bell reducer (also brass) and a 3/8"X1/4" male-male pipe thread reducer (also brass). It was not recommended to use teflon tape but pipe dope to insure a good air seal. Lastly, if you install this adapters prior to installing air bags you will likely not be able to get enough compression of the bags to make them fit. I learned the hard way that installing the bags on the chassis first and then installing the air adapters was much easier.

4) The Automan 9551 air bags I got arrive with a different bold pattern than I needed. The solution I found worked best was to first adjust the piston (bottom) bolt pattern as close as possible before install. Do not tighten the center bolt that holds the piston to the bag until the bag is in correct position on the chassis, This will allow for minor further adjustments as needed. Once in place, the center bolt can be fully tightened using a 3/4" offset box end wrench from underneath the chassis.

5) Using a bottle jack to raise the bottom plate in setting the bags was a real help. Note the top bolts and outside bottom bolt can be easily set in place using a deep socket 11/16" ratchet, but the bottom inside bolt is a very close fit. The only way I found to tighten the nut was to use a 11/16" open end wrench. Here again the bottle jack was helpful in getting the bolt in a position that the nut can be started on it.

6) Lastly, the 4 nuts that hold the bags in place have been doing so for a long time. Impact wrenches probably wont fit. I found it worth the $15 to buy a 1/2" socket breaker bar (also from HF!) and penetrating oil spray made getting these free much easier.

Sorry I have no pics. Maybe I can take some today and post them. Next project is greasing the front of the chassis and then I will re-park the coach so I can do the back. I hope the above information will be helpful to others taking on this project.
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #33

Where the rear air bags the same part number as the front?

Or are they different?
drag69dart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, need help, problem, suspension