Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Air bag replacement?

8/96 R3100 Roadmaster under a 1997 Monaco Dynasty 38 footer. I need front air bags. I have searched the forum for numbers, found none specifically for the above mentioned MH.

The existing rubber on the existing bags is completely disintegrated, with 1 inch hair like rubber slivers sticking out all around it. No chance to get a number.

Can anyone give me a possible number/name or other guidance?? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #2

One leaking airbag-will the others stay up?

1997 Monaco Dynasty 38 footer. While engine running, heard airbag by the door leaking, big time. Shut down and dumped the air bags. Now got to go to get fixed and wondering if the other bags will pump up and if they do will they stay up when I shut down as long as I don't dump them? For example, Are there check valves on them so they aren't affected by leaks in other parts of the system?Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The system will continue to pump the one(s) that leaks unless you can shut that particular bag out of the system but yes the others will stay pumped up.
Find the part numbers on the bag, you may have to lay down and try to get a camera in place without seeing the back and take pictures without actually seeing the back of the bag. Then you can look up the part number to see if they are still in production or if there might be replacement numbers for it. It's not a hard thing to change out, or if you are just gonna have someone else do it they can do the leg work then.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

The rubber is all gone. But looks like a stud and nut on the bottom and two on the top. Figureing out how to get the pressure off them is the next step.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Found parts for Roadmaster here: Hope it helps...
https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at the frame/suspension mount area for a suspension mfr/ID tag. Find that tag, if you have one, and that should get you started in the right direction.

For example, my '89 has a NEWAY suspension and ID tag with my Roadmaster chassis. If the company is still in business you should be able to contact them and get a parts list. For my airbags, I was lucky enough to have the Firestone part numbers still legible on the bag so I called truckspring.com with that bag number and described how it mounts to the suspension, he was able to locate the bag and it even crossed to a NEWAY part number. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like these bags are quick or easy to get. :(

Good luck!
Yahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a rear air bag go from a blowout. I have a 97 Windsor with a RR8R chassis also and that one was readily available from Firestone. I don't have the part number here but I can look it up from my paperwork when I get home. You will be able to find it without to much trouble.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

I found the tag on the frame but it doesn't list suspension. Other sources gave me a bag number for that year, both front and back, which are different. After numerous calls I have three different sources tell me that bag has to be ordered from Firestone and they have to build them. 4 to 6 weeks before delivery. I called Firestone directly and they confirmed that. One source gave me a cross over bag that is very close. I looked at the drawing and ordered them with the understanding I can return them if they won't work. Instead of studs on the top they have threaded holes and one brings the bolts down thru the top plate. They are in the mail vice a month wait.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nice, you got lucky. Firestone or Goodyear, both are a 4-6 week wait because they're special order and neither Firestone nor Goodyear have them, they have to build them. :(
Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I am working on my unit at a facility which has replaced about 2 dozen different air bags in last week. I also need new ones and asked the service manager if I should get number off side of bags. He said no that number is not correct for what I need it is only the rubber bag itself and not the total unit of bag and plates attached with mounting to chassis. The number needed is on top plate which is hidden until removed from unit.
Friendship37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendship37 View Post
I am working on my unit at a facility which has replaced about 2 dozen different air bags in last week. I also need new ones and asked the service manager if I should get number off side of bags. He said no that number is not correct for what I need it is only the rubber bag itself and not the total unit of bag and plates attached with mounting to chassis. The number needed is on top plate which is hidden until removed from unit.
Indeed, the number on the top is the biggest help but that doesn't mean the number on the bag is useless. Between the number on the bag and the air inlet/stud locations I was able to find the correct match. A good air spring shop will be able to help you locate the correct part if given the right information and you don't have the actual assembly part number.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am in the process of changing the front and rear bags on my '99 Fleetwood American Dream as a preventative measure as they are showing signs of cracking. I phoned Spartan and they gave me the Firestone Pt#'s and the Bilstein shock Pt#'s. I ordered the bags from Fort Garry Industries here in town. They had to order direct from Firestone.
The rears were about $180.00/each but the fronts were a little pricier at $240.00/each. Need them so gotta get 'em. When I phone Spartan or Fleetwood they are always very helpful.
***Can't just go by what the bag looks like on the outside for dimensions. There are options of having different size bump stops inside the bag assembly and some may not have anything at all. Inside my rear bags they have a 2-1/2"-3" bump stop inside. The number on the rubber part of the bag is just the number for the rubber part when that was made. Then there are the options of different tops, bottoms, and inside bump stops.
I was going to change the shocks also but I'm undecided if I should go with Bilstein or Koni.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #13

Trailerking, what is the timeframe for getting the bags from Firestone. Do they have to make them for you, hence 4 to 6 weeks? At least you can continue to use the coach, but I have one that has a big hole in it, hence my gamble on a cross over. Let me know what you decide on shocks because I suspect mine are in need of attention as well. Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Trailerking, what is the timeframe for getting the bags from Firestone. Do they have to make them for you, hence 4 to 6 weeks? At least you can continue to use the coach, but I have one that has a big hole in it, hence my gamble on a cross over. Let me know what you decide on shocks because I suspect mine are in need of attention as well. Thanks
They are ordering them with their stock order for April 1. I am not in a big panic because I can put the tranny back in and do some other things anyway. As for shocks I may stay with Bilstein's as Koni's are a lot richer. So I'm just pricing out the Bilstein's now.
What kind of coach do you have?
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement