Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
air bag replacement

We have a 2005 HR Neptune. Just had new brake job and mechanic noticed that the air bags had indication that the tires were rubbing on them. He took the coach out for a test run on the brakes and when returned heard air leak and the right bag had a hole and needs to be replaced. We have had our R4R trailing arms replaced first by Monaco and again with a properly engineered replacement. My mechanic says that Monaco used the same size bags for all the coaches, entry level and high end. Does anyone out there have information as to where a correct size bag for our coach can be obtained? Thanks for any info you may have!
rambler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #2

Source Engineering should have your answer (ex Monaco engineers).
Old 07-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your chassis manufacturer will provide the information.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

I am on a 2004 10 bag monaco chassis. I put in W01-358-9376. They should be the same as yours, but check. I used ones with a 1/4 inch hole for the air. Can't remember if the number was slightly different than the original ones with the big 3/4 inch feed hole. You have bushings in them so just get the 3/4 if that's what you have. That bushing fills the complete hole in the plate where your airline goes into the bag. Thats how you can tell.http://rsleafspring.com/Firestone_Part_-517.aspx
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you rig is down and can't be moved the best thing to do is remove the air bag and get the number.

I looked at the Monacoers parts reference and they don't list an airbag for the Neptune. And of the ones they list there a quite a few different part numbers.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for your replies. My mechanic is checking with source engineering and with Colton Truck. Our coach has only 4 bags so don;t know what will fit. I wish the manufacturer was still in business. But Monaco went into bankruptcy after the trailing arm debacle.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:59 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler05 View Post
Thank you for your replies. My mechanic is checking with source engineering and with Colton Truck. Our coach has only 4 bags so don;t know what will fit. I wish the manufacturer was still in business. But Monaco went into bankruptcy after the trailing arm debacle.

When I was searching for a spare bag for my coach, everybody including Source Engineering told me that I need to take the old bag out to find the pn at the top of the bag.
Only Veurink's RV was able to provide me the pn based on coach info. They have probably the best crossreference for most parts.
They are not cheap though, would have been 2x what I paid at Michigan Truck Spring which was about $200. But I was able to trace to the correct pn from Veurink's info.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

FWIW
Monaco went bankrupt in 2009 as did many other manufacturers. This was during the great recession when sales plummeted. Like many manufacturers Monaco expanded manufacturing leading up the recession.

I toured the plant in ~Sept 2009, they had skeleton crews still trying to make RV to sell. Ultimately they were sold to Navistar, which is a whole other story.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Bigrigcomponents. Com

The one Diplomat I replaced the rear air bags I was able to see the Continental # on the bag and found replacements using Google. And, yes the # was on the top plate also once out.
I found Bigrigcomponents had replacements
It was quite a job though, getting to the bolts and the air fitting...
I have a tag Dynasty that could use new, but I would probably get a mobile tire guy to come and help jack the Rig up and get the wheels off, then block the frame apart, because you have blow the pressure to get them out
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Part numbers I have on file: Contitech AS8897 - Find it Parts. This bag has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. You may need 1/4 x 3/4 bushing.
The Contitech AS9376 is the direct replacement for the Firestone W01-358-9376 use on many Monaco coaches from the early to mid-2000's.
https://www.truckandtrailer.parts/Co...02_p_1477.html

Best thing is to remove the air bag and look at the number on the top.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The chassis manufacture will tell you the part number you have. I call the frightliner shop near me. They gave me the part numbers and a quote for replacment parts. There price was the best I could find.
Ordered them had to wait one day delivered to my house. A spring and frame shop replaced all 4 for $400.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for your info. We found PN, Firestone bag available at local NAPA. Mechanic installed them and we hope we are good to go.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #13

Talking

Quote:
Thank you all for your info. We found PN, Firestone bag available at local NAPA. Mechanic installed them and we hope we are good to go.
Please post the part number so it's available here on the forum when the next guy blows one, Thanks.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, replace, replacement