Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Air Bags and Shocks

While checking my air suspension for leaks I discovered one of my air bags has a tear in the outer cover. Does anyone have part numbers for the air bags for a 2000 Dynasty? The fronts and rears look like they are the same.

None of them look especially hard to get to except the rear axle fronts. You can reach the air line and the nut on top of the bag, but its a long reach and you can't get two hands up there because of the axle.

While I'm at it I will probably replace the shocks too. I have 120K on the coach and the PO, who owned it for most of those miles, said he never changed them. They are a dark metallic green color does anyone know what brand those are? I haven't made a decision as to what type I'll use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My Chassis may be the same as yours, my airbags are Firestone 9376(1T15L-2), do some searches to see if it looks like yours.

Here's a link to 3 sources.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...HUD5AvAQ2SsICQ
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Jim,

I called Monaco and they said the part number was 8619 which does cross to W01-358-9376. When I did a cross reference search on the web, the Firestone bag also crossed to a Meritor 8619. Meritor may have been the original supplier for Monaco.

I think I'm going to take a chance and order one to see if it fits.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I ended up ordering two W01-358-9376 from Truck Springs for $162.95 each with free shipping. I hope they fit! Depending on how difficult they are to install, I'll probably replace the other side too and replace the shocks while I'm at it. That way the whole rear end will be done. If I don't have any more suspension issues I'll do the front end next year.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The OEM were Blistein HD but if it were me I would go with the Blistein comfort shocks. Why would you want to replace more than the damage air bag, I have a friend that had a 94 with over 200000 miles on it and had only replaced one damaged bag. If it's not broke I try not to fix it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
The OEM were Blistein HD but if it were me I would go with the Blistein comfort shocks. Why would you want to replace more than the damage air bag, I have a friend that had a 94 with over 200000 miles on it and had only replaced one damaged bag. If it's not broke I try not to fix it.
Walt, you sound like my wife!

I've only looked at the rears closely and they have a lot of checking on the outer cover. I figure they've lasted 16 years so if I replace now, I won't have to worry about them the rest of the time I own the coach.

I don't think the cover of the front PS air bag was damaged by road debris because it's in front of the wheel well and behind the bay that holds the furnace and water heater. I think they are just dry rotting. I'd hate to get stuck on the road and have to pay someone to replace one that failed.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
That is going to be a pretty rough job , I would start spraying a good penetrant way before I started the job and one of the best is 50% trans fluid and 50% acitone in a spray bottle.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
That is going to be a pretty rough job , I would start spraying a good penetrant way before I started the job and one of the best is 50% trans fluid and 50% acitone in a spray bottle.
I'm going to get under the coach just as soon as we get back from the coast and start spraying!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Get Acetone on an air bag and you will probably be replacing it sooner rather than later. I would get some PB Blaster or Kroil.
Spada84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced all 8 on 1999 HR Imperial ( just because of age). I was told front and rear were the same, they were not. On the Firestone site you can download a PDF file that lists all bags and a reference by vehicle year, make, etc. My coach was listed.
They were not rusted, but rotten buggers to get at. Tops covered in spray foam and very little room. Important: after they were off found 2 that were cracked very deep and could see fiber/cord frayed. If your coach is the same, I think Diplomat and Imperial are the same, I will drive down to storage and get numbers for front bags.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a Freightliner chasis, just call them with the last 6 of your vin and they'll give you the part numbers.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think Diplomat and Imperial are the same.

No Robby the HR Imperial and Monaco Windsor are close to the same I think the HR Imperisl was a litter more up scale , the Diplomat is a raise rail rear radiator chassis coach and a entry level coach starting in 98
Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

Here's the bad air bag. I'm not sure I ordered the right one.

Here's the air bag deflated it's about 6" tall

Here's one inflated it's about 9 inches tall.

Here's the front bag.

These are the new ones.

Do these look like replacements?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I got the damaged air bag out this afternoon. The shock came off easy enough with the air ratchet. The ratchet wouldn't budge the bottom nuts on the air bag though. A 24" breaker bar made quick work of them. The top nuts were a little harder to reach because the lower baggage compartment frame kept me a little farther away than was comfortable. It wasn't hard, just awkward.

Luckily there was room to get a ratchet in there.

I did order the right air bag.

Getting theair fitting off was the hardest part of the removal process. Even after the air bag was out I couldn't get this loose.

They don't look a lot alike after 16 years under a coach.

I've got to find a couple air fittings tomorrow and then replace the bag.

Tags
shocks