Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
air bags/shocks for 04HR

Hello all,
I have yet another question about my 04 Holiday rambler 40DST. when i have my rv at home, it starts to list to one side after a few hours. i can hear air escaping (from the shocks or suspension i believe) when i dump the air i comes down and everything is fine. when i start it up and the compressor fills the bags with air, everything is good. is this dangerous for me to drive it like this? is there a possibility that during the drive something could blow and i start to lean to one side? is the air bag or shock hard to change? I am trying to think of how to get this beast supported so i could work on it, it scares me to think about being under it while working on such a eavy vehicle. thanks in advance for the help.
fishnfool66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Derrick- you obviously have a leak, probably at one or more dump valves given the sideways list.
You can easily support the coach w/jack stands; usually 6 ton stands are a good match. 12,000lbs per corner gives you 24,000lbs on the rear axle. Make sure the stands are not founded on weak dirt. A piece of plywood under each is a good idea if you are on dirt.
I use the coach jacks to set the rig at a good working height, then use the stands to set up for safety. If I need some finesse on adjusting height I use a 12 ton bottle jack (not a cheap chinese unit; remember bottle jacks can blow up, mine is made in Japan and good quality, only ran me about $140).
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
If you are hearing air escaping, mix dishwashing soap with water in a squirt bottle and start spraying the air lines, air bags, etc. in the area you hear the air leaking. When you see bubbles you have found the leak. The bubbles will not be large so you will need lots of liquid and watch the area sprayed closely.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

What I recommend is either raising the air leveling system up high or just level it then switch to manual mode so it doesn't keep leveling itself. Now go around and measure the distance from each wheel well lip to the ground and write it down. Now go out about every three hours and measure again watching for which corner drops first. Once you know that the. It is easy to find the leak. The first thing I would check is the six round black and brass solenoids mounted on a aluminum block above each axle. The solenoids are known to start leaking especially on 2004 models.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote