Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like everyone is commenting on whether to apply the foot valve while the maxi's are set how about some of you check to see where your audible low air indicator comes on. With the brakes set please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The newer air brakes can not be overpressurized! You can have the parking brake and and hold the tredle in for as long as you want, it won't hurt them.

Does my 2006 Diplomat on a Roadmaster chassis classify
as 'newer' ?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Yes ...
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Yes, crawling under and pulling or pushing on the levers can show if they are adjusting properly, but most of us are not 'qualified technicians' and should leave them alone!
You don't need to be "Qualified Technicians" to do that.........It's all part of a requirement to check pushrod travel. Just one of many things needed to know and perform in order to obtain a proper operators license to operate air brake vehicles.
Even though sitting in the driver seat applying "10 hard applications" and assuming everything is adjusting properly does not mean it is without actually pulling on a slack adjuster with a bar to confirm travel.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
You don't need to be "Qualified Technicians" to do that.....
"Qualified Technicians" is a quote from the Bendix handbook on air brakes. I was just sayin'....

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin

as 'newer' ?

Thanks
Yes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
as 'newer' ?

Thanks
I would think so, our 2000 Dutch Star on FL chassis did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
The reason for not applying the parking brake and the service brakes is so you do not crack the brake drum. The pressure from both the service brake and parking brake could be to much pressure for the drum and it could crack. I have seen thousands of brake drums and have not seen one cracked. Can it happen, yes, but it is not common. It may be a problem with older drums/trucks and that maybe where this has come from. Pumping down the brakes is a good idea if your parking brake valve is located in a bad place.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
I seriously doubt if a dog could push hard enough on a parking brake release to release it. If the grandkids are screwing around on the dash just maybe a swift kick in the rear would cure that problem.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I seriously doubt if a dog could push hard enough on a parking brake release to release it. If the grandkids are screwing around on the dash just maybe a swift kick in the rear would cure that problem.
Perfectly said...................
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #39

not touching the foot brake while seting the parking brake on an automatic doesn't sound right. you come to a stop with your mh pointed down hill hope there's nothing infront of you. your parking brake only holds the rear axles. foot brake holds everything. unless you have the switch (for snow and ice) to cut out the steering axle. and too much air presure? spring presure ? they don't add together. it's either or both. no diff. unless your air pressure is low. cracking brake drums (unless defective) usually comes from heat just like when you check a drum.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I suppose that while there are some who's motorhomes could "roll" downhill while up on the jacks, there could also be some who could explode their brake drums by using their service brakes and parking brakes at the same time, but really?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I've beat on the brake drums when the brake shoes have froze to the drum in freezing weather. If the drums are strong enough to that plus temp. changes within seconds I highly doubt that any applied air pressure could break one.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
This whole idea of breaking a brake drum due to applying foot treadle while parking brake is engaged is nonsense to even repeat on this forum. Since the late 1960's the Anti-Compounding valve prevents increasing the air pressure to a harmful level. I'd be very surprised if 135 lbs. of air pressure could crack a brake drum. The full pressure might bend a slack adjuster rod or do other damage in the system, but a cracked drum? Let's stop trying to impress everyone with our 'old timers' experience and stories and let RV owners of air brake coaches know the real facts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake