Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Air brake troubles

So we were all loaded for a week long trip to Naples Florida had just loaded the motorcycle on the trailer ready to pull out I released the parking brake and the air pressure headed for the basement and I got the low pressure alarm I reset the brake let the pressure recover and tried releasing the brake again and away went the pressure. I had the Wife release the parking brake as I walked around the coach and heard a massive air leak from the back axle area so we unloaded the bike and trailer and luckily I was able to get it back in the driveway before I lost all pressure. After climbing under the coach I found the passenger side brake chamber had ruptured the spring chamber air diaphragm called my buddies at Napa and they had a new air chamber in stock, four hours later and much dirtier I was ready to reload everything again. We left the next morning and have had a great time so far I have always found that if you are willing to get your hands dirty you can usually get things back going your way.

Travel safe
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You are certainly correct! I'm on my 4th MH and never had it in a 'shop''. Saves tons of money and time sitting in a motel waiting for morons to work on you rig!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Very reassuring to know it's okay to be self sufficient.

We're on our 8th RV, 4 of which were/are Motorhomes. We learned early on it's ok to do what you can, ask about what you don't know. Rely on "Professionals" when you really need to.

Happy Motoring.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Air brake troubles

I agree. We had exact same thing happen last spring, except it was Easter Sunday about 8:00 pm when we were going to pull out. Blown spring brake diaphragm. Took me a little longer to diagnose and then remove the can in the rain. Up at 6:30 next morning calling around, took two places to get the correct brake can but once home back on in twenty minutes and on the road not long after.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's aggravating to be ready to go and have an issue like that. It's it fairly obvious how to get the old brake chamber out?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It's aggravating to be ready to go and have an issue like that. It's it fairly obvious how to get the old brake chamber out?
For me first time working on them it was not. Because the diaphram was blown the caging bolt had to be fully threaded in under the pressure of the spring. This was after I made a caging bolt, not knowing one was attached to the brake can. It was dark and raining so was not seeing clearly. Replacing the other can this spring was easy after going through it once.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Great you got going. Just remember that there is a spring in there about as strong and powerful as the ones on the average car. If not held in place with the caging bolt, you can get a very nasty surprise!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

I have and you can change the brake chamber without caging it. We only caged them, back in the day, when we could replace the diaphram.

Back off the slack adjuster until the rod stops coming out. Pull the clevis pin, the 2 nuts holding the chamber and 2 air lines.

Put the new chamber in place, after cutting the rod to the correct length and charge up the air system. Then adjust the slack adjuster for 1 inch of movement.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have and you can change the brake chamber without caging it. We only caged them, back in the day, when we could replace the diaphram.

Back off the slack adjuster until the rod stops coming out. Pull the clevis pin, the 2 nuts holding the chamber and 2 air lines.

Put the new chamber in place, after cutting the rod to the correct length and charge up the air system. Then adjust the slack adjuster for 1 inch of movement.
Good description. Thanks!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, thanks. I've watched youtube videos, but they were classroom settings on the bench so it wasn't obvious what you would be looking at under the coach.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #11

Brake chambers can be like a bomb going off if your not careful. In Ontario, you are not allowed to work on an air brake system unless you are a certified tech. I dont think this is something your average person should be touching. Most people dont even understand how the air brake system works, let alone work on it. jmho
Old 07-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:

Twinboat, you are a trained and knowledgeable mechanic, so I have no doubt you are very capable of changing a maxi pot.
I just cringe at the idea of someone with no idea of what they are getting into changing a maxi under their rig. Will they know to block the wheels? How about being under there and the air suspension drops?
Best to leave this kind of repair to the mechanics, retired or not.
Heck, I have changed the springs in maxi pots years ago, but now they are all clamped with a crimped band so they can not be taken apart.
JMHO
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #13

I agree that all safety precautions must be followed.

Never get under a vehicle that is supported by air or oil. Even hydraulic bottle jacks are only for lifting, not supporting. Always block up the vehicle and chock the wheels.

The fact is, the owners are going to crawl under and attempt this kind of work. It seems that they will take their cars in for repair, but not their recreational vehicle. That may be due to the long waits, high costs and sometimes, poor service, the RV, and boating industry, offer. Who wants to loose their RV for weeks at a time in season.

This may be my 35 years of experience talking but, I feel that changing a brake chamber is not that much different than changing the oil or air dryer on a DP. Its actually easier then doing, almost any, brake work on a gas engine motorhome.

If they are going to do it, and they are, I'm offering a few tips on getting it done quicker and easier.

They must do some research on the project, which now days is readily avalable, and of course, common sense must prevail.

JMHO
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I agree that all safety precautions must be followed.

Never get under a vehicle that is supported by air or oil. Even hydraulic bottle jacks are only for lifting, not supporting. Always block up the vehicle and chock the wheels.

The fact is, the owners are going to crawl under and attempt this kind of work. It seems that they will take their cars in for repair, but not their recreational vehicle. That may be due to the long waits, high costs and sometimes, poor service, the RV, and boating industry, offer. Who wants to loose their RV for weeks at a time in season.

This may be my 35 years of experience talking but, I feel that changing a brake chamber is not that much different than changing the oil or air dryer on a DP. Its actually easier then doing, almost any, brake work on a gas engine motorhome.

If they are going to do it, and they are, I'm offering a few tips on getting it done quicker and easier.

They must do some research on the project, which now days is readily avalable, and of course, common sense must prevail.

JMHO
Well said.
Safety is my number one goal and working underneath requires several layers. Jack Stands, Ramps, Hydraulics and sometimes Blocks between frame and axle. Never relying on one and majority of times ramps and jack stands along with at least one other.
Changing a rear brake chamber also brings in chalking the wheels. Yes one brake should hold it but again I like to have more than one source of safety so wheels are chalked and working on flat level surface.
As with anything new task I take on research is key. Knowing what I am getting into and what to expect is important. Having service manuals is nice Youtube can help with some visuals but you have to take it with a huge grain of salt as there are some real winners putting stuff there.

With the safety aspect taken care of changing a brake chamber was easy second time around.

Also doing DIY is not everyones cup of tea. I have done this since I could hold a wrench. Over the past 30 years I have designed and built everything from Satellite dishes to houses and worked on everthing in between. My job is designing equipment to perform task that may have never been done a paticular way.
So this is all just another day on the job for me.
My motto has always been if someone else can do it then I can figure it out. Those are the easy task assuming I have the tools at my diosposal.

Tags
brake