Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Air conditioning belt and compressor

We found the narrow air conditioning belt in the engine compartment of our (new to us) '05 Signature was broken and it was one of the items on our list to get done at Cummins coach Care this week. Cummins found that the compressor that belt goes around has frozen up. It has to be replaced and they have to try to find that part. Anyone have ideas about how they should look for it? They are going to call Monaco but the new Monaco under REV Group might not know. I would have thought that compressor was a Cummins part.

Another item on our list is that the tag axle does not go up. Cummins doesn't seem to be able to fix that. Where would I go to get that fixed? What kind of service?

Thanks for any tips anyone has. The coach drives great so that's nice.
artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #2

Best suggestion I can make is to take it to a shop which specialized in truck a/c units. They will have the resources to get the job done, both finding the compressor and installing it.

Next best is to have them use the part numbers on the compressor to locate a suitable replacement. There should be a tag on it. Monaco did not build the compressor - it likely came with the engine and/or chassis.

If the shop is struggling to source a compressor they might find success with a place like https://truckerac.com who deals in lots of these things. They supplied the compressor for our 1974 GM coach a few years ago.

Likely there is a supplier nearer to you though, as lots of places service truck a/c units.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #3

Try this place Victory Climate Systems- Climate Control Products for a World in Motion
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

If Cummins is struggling to locate another compressor I would start looking for another shop. Have not had great success with cummins on air conditioner repair/replacement. In fact very dissatisfied with their attempts to replace my compressor. put a new compressor in @ $1800 cost. lasted only 2 years had to replace again due to faulty workmanship

get the model # of your compressor and google it to look for replacement compressor such as a Sanden compressor
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #5

Should be a up-150 made by unicla. If it is #015 and 013 are the orings to the #10 and #8 discharge lines. They also used Sander pumps which are much cheaper pumps.
My unicla serial number is 213045. Hope this helps
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #6

Ditto, replacing compressor is not rocket science, compressor will have mfg. name and part number on existing unit, look for another shop, freightliner etc.
good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. Cummins found a compressor with the right part number and it'll be $265 plus install. I hope they got it right as that price sounds good.

The tag axle is a bit of a mystery. They are trying to find out more but they think someone may have fooled around with the wiring.

A big motor coach like this one isn't something they normally see but they are trying to get what we need. Good communication, which is important.
artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

165 is more the going price for the pump. But I just overpaid for hoses at Napa (they use gates) because I could get help matching them up.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I found the model number on a label on top of the compressor (apparently a common location).

Ordered it online for about $150 and installed it myself.

But you have to be prepared then to replace the dryer for @$30, vacuum the system, add oil, and then add 134a.

Its not difficult but requires some knowledge. I got my G2 from the internet.

Auto Zone will loan the gauge set and vacuum pump for free.

Harbor Freight will sell you the 134A for about $5 for 12 oz.

My rig requires 80oz of 134a plus 8oz of Pag oil.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning, compressor