Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
You get to it from the firewall side .

They will never get to it from the dash side .

When we owned our Endeavor I repaired a leak in the evaporator

I removed the cover from the evaporator box and was able to pull the

evap assy out enough to silver solder a hole .

My leak was not near as bad as yours , it's hard for me to imagine

the evap developing that sort of leak . My leak was a defective factory

solder joint .

Did they use a leak detector in that area ?

They used dye and nitrogen and they cannot find it anywhere. I will have them isolate the evaporator and vacuum test. That’s got to be it, we shall see.
Seaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #16

Have you eliminated the hoses going the length of the coach?
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Have you eliminated the hoses going the length of the coach?

We have not eliminated the hoses going the length of the coach yet. We have looked at what is visible but can’t seem to find any dye or anything that looks like a leak. Hopefully the shop will isolate the evaporator on Monday and determine if it is the evaporator or not.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #18

Good luck with the Evap. If not cap one end of each hose and pull a vac. Being a shop they could do the same with pressure but not AIR. Need to use nitrogen!
Old 05-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane View Post
They added dye and charged the system with 3 and a half pounds of Freon and it was gone overnight. It does work great when filled, however, it’s gone the next day!

Should you suspect that the evaporator is the issue and they have done what is stated above ...... You will find all you need to know by inspecting the evaporator drain tube ( condensate tube ) and see lots of refrigerant oil and dye ... maybe even smell...yes smell even with your nose in many cases ... leak detectors also.

In my experience a leak that large won’t be hard to find ..... but as you already know….. it's not leaking where it's obvious….”Murphys Law”

FYI I have seen more than my fair share of A/C service connection ports leak thu the schrader valve and fooled the service tech.

Most parts outlets stock these service port repair kits if needed.

Those service ports need to be cleaned thoroughly after any service has been done …… and there is a reason the service port caps have a seal up inside of them also …… kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders

( pic is an example only)

Click image for larger version

Name:	9220019_idy_lr14_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	284912
Happy Hunting
Old 05-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #20

A leak that size you might even be able to hear it. Have they checked the compressor seal? If not that then I would check the hoses. At that age.....

Pulling an evil on almost any vehicle can be a major task. That would be a last resort.

Keep us posted.
Good luck.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
A leak that size you might even be able to hear it. Have they checked the compressor seal? If not that then I would check the hoses. At that age.....

Pulling an evil on almost any vehicle can be a major task. That would be a last resort.

Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for all of your help. Now the bad news, I’ve just been informed that they have no way to isolate the different parts of the system. I’m at Lazy Day’s in the Village’s. I need to find someone on our way North that may be able to isolate and fix this A/C that won’t charge an arm & leg. Any ideas would be most helpful.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you get too involved in tearing the evaporator out you really need to carefully check that you do not have a leak on the compressor shaft or elsewhere, on a hose on the high pressure side of the system. Carefully check the engine compartment hoses. They are subject to heat, vibration, and oils and chemicals. Low pressure leaks are seldom that large. Large low pressure side leaks are usually the result of damage from exterior causes.
Happy hunting!

Regards,

Louis
Strohack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A good and inexpensive way to chase leaks is with a solution of water and dish washing detergent. Use a fairly strong solution of detergent so you can make a good film and lots of bubbles. Use a pump up sprayer to get at hard to reach places.
Louis
Strohack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strohack View Post
A good and inexpensive way to chase leaks is with a solution of water and dish washing detergent. Use a fairly strong solution of detergent so you can make a good film and lots of bubbles. Use a pump up sprayer to get at hard to reach places.
Louis

Thanks for the tips, I’m sure that it must be a leak on the high side. I will find someone that is capable, but that is the solution, find someone that is capable and able to isolate different parts of the system. Hopefully, someone out there knows someone that can fix this problem and can point me in the right direction.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #25

Sounds like Lazy Days is over their head. Leak that size is findable. Agree with several other suggestions. Any shop that is worth their salt and claims to do AC work and can not figure out how to isolate and pressure test for leaks properly shouldn’t claim to be an AC repair facility. I would expect it to be on the high side. That is from the compressor to include the shaft seal that is a common wear point to the expansion valve. Serious concerns about the condenser and that 40 ft of hose that you can not see very well
Old 05-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Should you suspect that the evaporator is the issue and they have done what is stated above ...... You will find all you need to know by inspecting the evaporator drain tube ( condensate tube ) and see lots of refrigerant oil and dye ... maybe even smell...yes smell even with your nose in many cases ... leak detectors also.

In my experience a leak that large won’t be hard to find ..... but as you already know….. it's not leaking where it's obvious….”Murphys Law”

FYI I have seen more than my fair share of A/C service connection ports leak thu the schrader valve and fooled the service tech.

Most parts outlets stock these service port repair kits if needed.

Those service ports need to be cleaned thoroughly after any service has been done …… and there is a reason the service port caps have a seal up inside of them also …… kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders

( pic is an example only)

Attachment 284912

Happy Hunting

You were on to something, I went to Autozone the other day and picked up that package that you showed to me and took a chance because I haven’t seen the caps for some time, I replaced the two Schrader valves and had it recharged and it didn’t show a leak on the high side or low side. Waited 24 hours and no leaks! Looks like that may have solved a large problem for me, and I say Thank You!!!!!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #27

Are saying A supposed AC repair shop did All that work and could Not Find a leak where they should have been charging and pulling a vac from would demand my money back or park the rig in front of the place with a huge sign explaining in great detail just how POOR AND INCOMPETENT they really are.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Are saying A supposed AC repair shop did All that work and could Not Find a leak where they should have been charging and pulling a vac from would demand my money back or park the rig in front of the place with a huge sign explaining in great detail just how POOR AND INCOMPETENT they really are.

You are not wrong! A real shame on the industry. I’m just happy that worked! However, I’ll check back in a couple of weeks to make sure that was it. Thanks again!

Tags
air, air conditioning, leak