Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Air dump

Is it a good idea to keep a drivable amount of air in the air bags while the coach sits in between trips or do a total dump lowering it to the ground?
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

I don’t know right or wrong but I drop all the way then push leveling till it levels then I cut everything off.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #3

I either hit the level button and let it do its thing or dump all the air then level.. depends on how high the front step is to the ground.. if it’s to high I drop all the way then level..

One thing I have noticed that if I just auto level on it’s own and don’t drop all the air first .. it is more stable when moving in the inside... don’t feel as much.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
I either hit the level button and let it do its thing or dump all the air then level.. depends on how high the front step is to the ground.. if it’s to high I drop all the way then level..

One thing I have noticed that if I just auto level on it’s own and don’t drop all the air first .. it is more stable when moving in the inside... don’t feel as much.

I guess what I mean is, during times the coach is sitting at my residence and not heading out anytime soon, is it ok to deflate the air bags and let it all the way down or is it a good idea to keep a little air in the bags.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just my personal opinion, but I feel it's best to dump the air in the bags. That way the chassis rests solidly on the axles. Chances are they will bleed down over time anyway and can settle unevenly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I dump so it stays level. If I leave air in it, eventually it settles, usually crooked.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #7

Why not just hit level and leave it? It was designed to be used this way..

Think if you release all the air it would wear the bottom fold much sooner but I am only guessing.. I just replaced my bags last year.. 18 years of service in all type of situations.. so maybe it doesn’t matter at the end of the day.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm usually leveled with the bags dumped unless I'm readying to roll.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
Why not just hit level and leave it? It was designed to be used this way..

Think if you release all the air it would wear the bottom fold much sooner but I am only guessing.. I just replaced my bags last year.. 18 years of service in all type of situations.. so maybe it doesn’t matter at the end of the day.
I'm new to this so please don't call me stupid. Or do...

I haven't even driven the monaco out of our shop yet.

It's at ride height now, the step is awfully far from the ground. If you hit level does it drop closer to the ground? Or is there another button that does this?

I could play with it but when I'm down there I'm trying to get other stuff going.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishar View Post

It's at ride height now, the step is awfully far from the ground. If you hit level does it drop closer to the ground? Or is there another button that does this?

I could play with it but when I'm down there I'm trying to get other stuff going.
I don't have air leveling so take this with a grain of salt. If I hit auto-level on my hydraulic jacks with the coach at ride height, it only raises the coach to level it. That limits the range of leveling the jacks can perform since the coach is already up in the air about 6". I'll bet the air leveling works the same way.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
If one dumps the air in an air suspension/brake rig to less than 60 psi, the park spring brake should automatically engage.

Benefits:

Your kids cannot release the air brake by pushing the yellow knob.

You rig cannot roll until the air pressure is built up.

Negative:

You rig cannot roll until the air pressure is built up.

And:

The rig will sit on the chassis stops until air is restored.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishar View Post

Well your here to find things out , and no one can call you stupid for that .
Eventually , your air suspension will leak down , could take a week or overnight , it's the nature of the beast . Should your coach drop from ride height in a couple of hours ; that's a problem that has to be dealt with.
Using the leveling , depending on the system , will lower the coach (automatic air suspension dump ) and deploy the jacks . On a reasonably level surface this should reduce the step clearance to the ground by approx 3" .
A leveling system that requires a manual air suspension dump , would have a " Dump " button on the control.
Hope this helps .
I dump the suspension and level when parked. ( and coach is on the jacks for 3 to 5 months at a time )
Old 07-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Well your here to find things out , and no one can call you stupid for that .
Eventually , your air suspension will leak down , could take a week or overnight , it's the nature of the beast . Should your coach drop from ride height in a couple of hours ; that's a problem that has to be dealt with.
Using the leveling , depending on the system , will lower the coach (automatic air suspension dump ) and deploy the jacks . On a reasonably level surface this should reduce the step clearance to the ground by approx 3" .
A leveling system that requires a manual air suspension dump , would have a " Dump " button on the control.
Hope this helps .
I dump the suspension and level when parked. ( and coach is on the jacks for 3 to 5 months at a time )
I have air leveling only, no jacks.

10 bag chassis. Powergear control on the arm rest.

Owner manual says nothing about dumping air.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #14

Ride height is higher than level..for camping..

When you park and on level ground it will dump the bags and you should be close to the ground at the first step...

If not on level ground it could raise the rear or the front to accommodate the incline.. now if the front happens to be the lower portion of the incline.. it will raise the front to level... that’s when you dump the bags all the way and then level.. that way you lower it as much as possible.. I have a small step stool we use when it’s like that ...

Everyone has to learn .. we have had ours for 5 years and the wife is still learning.. and to be honest I do still learn here and there ..

Most important factor is the fun.. have fun ..

Tags
air