Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please, If you have a Monaco product, DO NOT FOLLOW THE LEVELING PROCESS FROM SOMEONE WITHOUT A MONACO PRODUCT. If you do you are doing it wrong.
But I'm thankful for them trying to help. Remember, Slides out first then dump the air and then extend the jacks. Reverse when you leave.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #16

Just a comment, your coach does not have to be level to the ground to extend the slides. It should be square to the frame. That's why you should extend the slides before dumping air because it is square to the frame, then ground level with air or jacks.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim E I now understand the Monaco has a different procedure because of some unique feature but doesn't your jacks bring the coach frame to level?
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Jim E I now understand the Monaco has a different procedure because of some unique feature but doesn't your jacks bring the coach frame to level?
I don't know about Monaco's new procedure. Jacks and air bags bring your coach body to level not necessarily your frame because the level sensor is attached to the body, not the frame. That's why you hear stories of body twisting and windshields popping out.

Jim E
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you put your jacks down, and then dump your air, you could bend a jack or two. Ask me how I know. Bent two jacks, before I realized that the coach moves slightly forward (or backward) as it settles. Each jack cost about $800.00 (if you install it yourself). The last time, I bent one, I was on a level, concrete pad, but the coach still moved forward and bent a jack.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #20

Dido what the gripper said they do roll when dropping plus jacks and air bags are attached to the frame not the body so I think it would be impossible to level body and not the frame.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Dido what the gripper said they do roll when dropping plus jacks and air bags are attached to the frame not the body so I think it would be impossible to level body and not the frame.
Yes, they are connected to the frame, but also to the body. If the air bags are not connected to the body why does your MH drop when the bags are deflated and raise when you are ready to travel? Bags raise and lower your body to level and jacks raise and lower your frame to level. Keep in mind that the level sensor is attached to the body, not the frame. You will never have a frame twisting problem with bags as some owners have with jacks.

This is my opinion and procedure. If your coach has air springs you should extend your slide, dump your bags then level. If your coach is not equipped with bags then extend the slide and level with your jacks. Some coaches come equipped with independent jack and bag leveling systems. Jacks are more stable and used when your stay is longer than a day or two. Air bags are safer than jacks because of the frame twisting possibility. If you plan on an extended stay the procedure would be level with bags then extend jacks to add stability.

Jim E
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My HR manual says extend slides, then dump air, then level so that's what we do. Reverse order when leaving. Nina
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Most prior (do not know about present) Monaco Product Lines had three not four jacks. That is why it is slides, dump air and then level. On a three jack system, if you level then extend the slides, you are torquing the frame and body, this could cause problems such as popping or cracking of the windshield.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #24

Air bags do not attach to the body they hook to the frame and suspension let air out suspension drops thus body lowers the frame and suspension comes complete manufacturer drops there body on top. Jacks are attached to frame only lower jacks it picks up frame thus picks up body. When I say (frame) I mean chassis frame.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Before anything I shut down my engine and move key to accessory position then my HWH jack system does the rest. It is automatic and with one touch it goes through it's sequence; dumps air, then lowers the jacks to level the coach. Only then do I put out my slides.

I have never experienced frame twist even on the most un-level places.

Nothing personal, but you do not have a Monaco M/H. It seems that of the 20 plus or minus coach manufactures they each have a different sequence. I think they do it so salespeople can degrade or inflate the value of what they have on the lot. I follow the book cause I really really don't want to see my popped out windshield on the ground infront of the M/H. Talk about ruining your day!!!
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #26

DennisZ has the correct sequence as per the manual for our 2008 Diplomat. We have followed the procedure since day one and everything has worked properly and without incident.

One slight difference for our procedure, we have an air dump switch on the side console which avoids our having to pump the brakes to dissipate the air.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Bhemoth
I have the same switch, but there is a statement in the owners manual about using the brakes to drain the tanks faster, then use the switch, it really works much faster.

Prior to Leveling
Chassis battery voltage must be at least 12 Volts DC.
Select a level site if possible, or park
the motorhome with the front facing downhill.
Apply the parking brake. Place the transmission in Neutral.
Lower the air suspension by stepping on the brake several times until system air pressure is below 60 psi. With the ignition on, push and hold the Air Dump switch to lower the suspension. This reduces the amount the jack will need to extend before making contact with the surface.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #28

What i learn from Newmar peoples is
put the air out,level the coach,than open the slide this is what i do for the past
7 years without any problems
André
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote