Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Air Dump switch

Has anyone changed the air dump switch to a switch that does not have to be held in until the air is dumped. I would like to push a switch to a position and walk away while it dumps. Any input would be helpful.
Thank You Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Most momentary switches are put there for a reason. Wouldn't want someone to accidentally hit the on/off switch and dump the air when you really didn't want to do that. Probably a safety thing.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Use a large washer about the size of a silver dollar under the bottom of the switch lever and it will do the job.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #4

You should think twice about doing that with the dump switch. If you forget and leave it ib the dumped position and move the MH then it will not automatically raise back up. On my MH if it is in the dumped position and I turn the steering wheel and can hit the body/fenders with the tires and mess them up. Also in the dumped position I can hit the transmission pan on a raised area in the ground.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My wife is in charge of the air dump switch when we're getting ready to level. Seems she doesn't mind pushing buttons, mostly mine!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #6

I made this change on my RV. I used a double pole switch. One side connected to the existing dump switch so that when the switch is thrown, it dumps. The other side I connected to a flashing red LED that I installed in the instrument panel -- I took power for this from the cigarette lighter circuit, so it is always powered. This way, when the switch is thrown and the air dumped, there is a very bright red light flashing in my face. And, since this is normally used when parking, it continues to flash even when the RV is turned off and parked. Hopefully this will make it impossible for me to forget to throw the switch so that the suspension can function normally next time it is driven.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Has anyone changed the air dump switch to a switch that does not have to be held in until the air is dumped. I would like to push a switch to a position and walk away while it dumps. Any input would be helpful.
Thank You Chris
If you want to dump air faster pump the brake pedal while holinding the air dump switch down.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I never use it.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Thank You Chris

I would think long and hard about that. Hate to have someone flip that switch while driving down the road. After all you do have AIR BRAKES and what happens when you loose air pressure with air brakes?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
If you want to dump air faster pump the brake pedal while holinding the air dump switch down.

If you do this make sure your tires are blocked so the coach won't move, then release your parking brake. Pumping the brakes with the parking brake on can cause big damage to your air brakes. It's called compounding your brakes, and you can bend the push rods etc.

Jimmy F
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom49 View Post
I would think long and hard about that. Hate to have someone flip that switch while driving down the road. After all you do have AIR BRAKES and what happens when you loose air pressure with air brakes?
The air bag's connection to the tanks should be through a pressure protection valve, such that they should not be getting any air if the tank pressure goes below 60 PSI. That is normal procedure for any air operated accessory, such as air bags, air horns, or pneumatically controlled devices like step covers. Those protection valves are there specifically to protect against losing all air pressure in the case of an accessory system air leak.

In my coach, if I let go of the air dump switch while there is more than 60 PSI in the tanks, the bags will start re-inflating right away. If I drain the tanks to less than 60 PSI, the bags stay deflated. The pressure protection valve is doing its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy F View Post
If you do this make sure your tires are blocked so the coach won't move, then release your parking brake. Pumping the brakes with the parking brake on can cause big damage to your air brakes. It's called compounding your brakes, and you can bend the push rods etc.

Jimmy F
That is a valid concern. Many newer rigs have some sort of protection against compounding, and it's less of a concern. Still, even with that protection system, it's still wise not to press the service brakes firmly while the parking brake is engaged -- shallow rapid feathering of the brakes is enough to bleed the pressure down quickly. But if you don't specifically know that your brakes are protected against compounding, it's best to never apply service and parking brakes at the same time. If you're not 100% sure, don't do it.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the eraser end of a pencil. When I get ready to level, I pull the pencil out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I use the eraser end of a pencil. When I get ready to level, I pull the pencil out.
I use one of those erasers you stick on the end of a pencil. On my coach I have to have the ignition in the acc position to dump the bags. The worse I've done is leave it in the acc position and discover it later.
Ron
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I also stick something handy under the switch and leave it. Its usually a pen or pencil with big eraser
Mat