Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, mine doesn't seem like it does...
the first movement I see/feel is UP...
and it usually puts the front jack at full extension even though it doesn't need it... will try the manual level next time...

And thanks Nodine ! I tried that yesterday and it was much more enjoyable for the neighbors than pumping the brakes

But now we've created two new issues !
It kneels down so far now that I have to make sure the steps won't hit the ground, they are like an inch above it now

and then I have to bend over much more to hook up the utilities

it's close to level on this site, so haven't tried leveling it yet...
wish I didn't have to start the engine to hear all the warning claxtons and all
but the leveler says low voltage if I don't...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #16

Never ending topic, here. I find that on many sites if I dump the air bags the steps will not extend fully. Much of the time, especially if it's s short stay, I just level without dumping. Saves the grief of dumping, and then starting back up to reinflate the air bags if I'm too low. This is especially true if the ground slopes up away from the passenger side.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Dennis, mine doesn't seem like it does...
the first movement I see/feel is UP...
and it usually puts the front jack at full extension even though it doesn't need it... will try the manual level next time...

And thanks Nodine ! I tried that yesterday and it was much more enjoyable for the neighbors than pumping the brakes

But now we've created two new issues !
It kneels down so far now that I have to make sure the steps won't hit the ground, they are like an inch above it now

and then I have to bend over much more to hook up the utilities

it's close to level on this site, so haven't tried leveling it yet...
wish I didn't have to start the engine to hear all the warning claxtons and all
but the leveler says low voltage if I don't...
Dennis,

You have a three jack hydraulic leveling system and the air bags are not dumped automatically. Coaches with air leveling do handling the air bag dumping or filling as required to level. Your system always puts the front jack down first so when the back jacks are operated side to side the coach will pivot on the front jack to prevent twisting the frame and popping out the windshield.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
AH, that may explain why ours always seems to raise the front end so much at first when it really doesn't need to....

I may just do the manual thing to ground the jacks and nothing more - still trying to figure it out...
Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #19

OK here's another snowflake ...My coach uses the Valid system and I rarely use the jacks. Below 10-15 MPH level control moves from the valves on the axles to the Valid control panel. As I move into a camp site I can raise or lower the coach while moving to avoid tail hits and low branches. Once I stop I hit auto level and air is released or added as required to maintain level position. Once level I can go to manual to raise or lower all 4 corners while maintaining level. While the system sleeps it will wake up periodically and check for level and the air pump will come on if the tanks are low. My instruction with a full wall slide from Monaco is to level with air only before extending slides. Once level I can move up or down a needed. Apparently using the 10 air bags provides a much more stable position for the coach before extending the slides. After all this I can extend the jacks manually not using automatic because of a possible conflict with auto air bag system. I usually only use the rear jacks in manual mode to place my jack stands under the frame rails before I crawl under the coach. I've used those jacks to raise the tag axle off the ground and must either be on shore power or have the engine running to avoid a low voltage issue with the electric motor on the hydraulic pump.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Dennis,

You have a three jack hydraulic leveling system and the air bags are not dumped automatically. Coaches with air leveling do handling the air bag dumping or filling as required to level. Your system always puts the front jack down first so when the back jacks are operated side to side the coach will pivot on the front jack to prevent twisting the frame and popping out the windshield.

Bob
Bob,

This is a small excerpt from the owners manual covering the leveling jacks.

"The front jack will be the pivot point for the chassis and is always lowered first. This reduces the torsion stress on the body of the motorhome. The Bong alarm will activate when any jack is extended more than 2” to 6” from fully retracted position and will indicate low fluid level for the pump motor. The bong alarm may momentarily activate when driving over rough roads, or negotiating curves and corners. Usually this indicates low fluid level.

NOTE: Air will automatically dump from air bags when leveling cycle begins. This will lower the motorhome and require less extension by the jacks. To expedite the air dumping, the motorhome is equipped with a manual air bag release switch located on the dash panel."

To be totally honest with you, there is so much going on when I turned on the automatic system, its hard to tell what is actually happening, but the coach does lower itself somewhat before the jacks are engaged. Then the front and back of the coach jerk around much harder than I would have expected. It's pretty alarming so I've taken to using the jacks manually. In the last four trips, we've only had to level the coach one time, and then only slightly.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, exactly my concern with the auto leveling - it jerks around like it's got a BAD twitch

One other thing I noticed while practicing for my Texas Non-cdl exempt class b air system drivers test...

Ours rarely gets to 125 psi, except under acceleration...
After dumping air and starting to decamp, it will scream at me until it gets to about 60 psi, then it won't let the brake disengage until about 90 psi, then it floats up to about 118 psi and thereabouts is where it normally stays...

I did buy it from a consignment lot and that's the way it was since I first looked at it...

stops fine and all - even on the one really HARD stop I had to do, but wondering if the examiner will fail me because it doesn't go to 125 ?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Dennis, exactly my concern with the auto leveling - it jerks around like it's got a BAD twitch

One other thing I noticed while practicing for my Texas Non-cdl exempt class b air system drivers test...

Ours rarely gets to 125 psi, except under acceleration...
After dumping air and starting to decamp, it will scream at me until it gets to about 60 psi, then it won't let the brake disengage until about 90 psi, then it floats up to about 118 psi and thereabouts is where it normally stays...

I did buy it from a consignment lot and that's the way it was since I first looked at it...

stops fine and all - even on the one really HARD stop I had to do, but wondering if the examiner will fail me because it doesn't go to 125 ?
That's about how mine works, it tops off about 120 lbs. The alarm stays on until about 60 PSI or so, but the brakes don't release until about 70 PSI or a little higher. The air in my system slowly bleeds off over a couple weeks although the suspension remains inflated. I'm going to be replacing the air dryer in the future and will look for leaks in the braking system at the same time.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
You can hasten the air dump by partially depressing the parking brake button. I found the low air sound device under the dash, on top of the steering column. I muffled it with layers of paper towel and duct tape. It's still plenty loud.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The examiner should be fine with 118psi. It's well within spec.

If you want it higher, it's just a small adjustment of the governor.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had to level the coach this weekend as the site was tilted slightly. I used the manual extend switch to bring the front end of the coach up. About ten seconds after pushing the extend switch, the front end of the coach came up and I heard air being released. I went outside and there definitely was air escaping from under the front of the coach. That went on for quite a few minutes and after it stopped I checked the front air bag. The bag was totally deflated.

I surmise that my particular coach deflates the suspension when you use the hydraulic levelers whether manually or automatically. I did wonder if I had developed a leak in the air suspension at the exact time I was leveling the coach, but that seemed to be too much of a coincidence. I had no issues when I retracted the front jack and re inflated the front suspension.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
n a hydraulic leveling system, this is normal. The ride height sensor is responding to a "too high" condition and wants to let air out of air bags to get back to level position. Since it can't due to jack being down, it just exhaust until all air is gone, including air from air tank.

The reverse would also happen. If you deflated air bags to level coach, the ride height valves would want to add air until level. If there is no air in the air tanks (actually less than 60 PSI) the coach stays low. Once you start up coach and make air pressure, the coach raises.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling