RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air fitting leak - Question

I finally got under the coach today to look for the leak causing me to loose all air pressure within 12 hours of shutting down the engine. I found the issue but before I pull things apart I was hoping for a little guidance since I am unfamiliar with these fittings.

See the picture below showing the exact location of the leak along with a wider view to give better perspective. The joint where its leaking does not appear to be a threaded connection. Does anyone know if the fitting has failed if it is leaking at this spot or does it just need to be tightened? If I need to remove the fitting is there a way to release the green tubing without cutting it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	239993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3604a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	239994  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That is a push look fitting on the green hose. You push the outer most ring in while pulling on the hose. It will be hard to wiggle out. The other end of the fitting is male pipe thread. No it cannot be taken apart or tightened at the area you hav circled. You can easily get a replacement fitting at NAPA.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If there is enough spare hose it will be easier to just cut the hose off flush with the old fitting. This will give you a clean inner and outer hose surface for the new fitting.
Bleed all air out of the system and tank before removing or cutting the hose.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Old 03-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It does look a little odd, but it doesn't matter. Just take off the green air line first. Push on the end of the fitting and then pull the green line out. You might need to clean some gunk out of the area just behind the ring you push on. Once the green air line is out, unscrew that whole fitting out of the T and replace it with another elbow.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have replaced a total of 8 of those fittings on my rig over the years. The swivel joint seems to wear out. Probably due to road vibration.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

I just went through what you're experiencing 3 weeks ago. Since I was dealing with snow, freezing temps and no place to work on it indoors I had it done by a truck shop. I knew the metal fittings(2 of the 3) were swivel fittings which were leaking, not the hose connections. Despite my desire for them to replace the fittings with identical swivel fittings (Monaco must have had a good reason I assumed) they replaced them with non-swivel fittings they had in stock. It seems to have worked but I would like to know if it's important for the fittings to swivel as the OEM fittings do.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The main reason they used the swivel fittings is ease of assembly. With a fixed 90 elbow, in order for it to line up with the hose you often have to over or under tighten the fitting. With a swivel you tighten the fitting to the proper torque and then swivel to line up the hose for the least strain.
Hope this helps

Old 03-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
The main reason they used the swivel fittings is ease of assembly. With a fixed 90 elbow, in order for it to line up with the hose you often have to over or under tighten the fitting. With a swivel you tighten the fitting to the proper torque and then swivel to line up the hose for the least strain.
Hope this helps
It certainly does help. Many thanks.
I thought that could be the reason but I was concerned it might have something to do with preventing hose connections from being pulled loose due to chassis flexing during travel. There doesn't seem to be any slack in those lines.
I'll just have to keep an eye on those fittings to see if they keep on doing the job. Where did you find the swivel fittings in case I want to change them out some day?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys... the Monaco iRV2 Crew always pull through!

Quote:
If there is enough spare hose it will be easier to just cut the hose off flush with the old fitting. This will give you a clean inner and outer hose surface for the new fitting.
Bleed all air out of the system and tank before removing or cutting the hose.
When I get back under the coach I'll see if there is enough to cut it off. I kinda figured it was a push in fitting but didn't bother looking at it too close, laying on my shop floor is still freezing cold from the winter.

No issue bleeding the system first... it currently has an auto-bleed feature.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Thanks guys... the Monaco iRV2 Crew always pull through!

When I get back under the coach I'll see if there is enough to cut it off. I kinda figured it was a push in fitting but didn't bother looking at it too close, laying on my shop floor is still freezing cold from the winter.

No issue bleeding the system first... it currently has an auto-bleed feature.
Not sure what the last sentence means. For your safety you should bleed all air out of your coach before cracking open any air fitting to work on the air system. I open both tank drain valves in the generator compartment and the single drain valve attached to the hitch receiver assembly.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Not sure what the last sentence means. For your safety you should bleed all air out of your coach before cracking open any air fitting to work on the air system. I open both tank drain valves in the generator compartment and the single drain valve attached to the hitch receiver assembly.
It was my lame attempt at a joke... with the defective fitting the air bleeds down on its own in hours. You're point is well taken and appreciated. Good to open those drain valves now and then anyway.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
NAPA was able to order the swivel style fittings

Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
It was my lame attempt at a joke... with the defective fitting the air bleeds down on its own in hours. You're point is well taken and appreciated. Good to open those drain valves now and then anyway.
Now I get it. I can quit wondering if your Monaco has some special feature mine doesn't.
I wonder if there's an emoji like Peanut waving his hand over his head when Jeff Dunham doesn't get it.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
NAPA was able to order the swivel style fittings
Gracias amigo.

Tags
air, leak