Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

air horn not working

My 1998 safari serengetti has air horns on the roof, but they don't work. I see there is a fuse in the fuse box (its fine). Any suggestions?
atomic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The is a solonoid that is supposed to work the airhorn. Maybe this is the culprit?

I have seen Happycarz repair the airhorn solonoid on MonacoMama's motorhome. Looked like a fairly simple repair (something was stuck in there) when you know what you are doing. From what I understod the problem was caused by water (condensation ?) running over time in the tube connecting the airhorn and the solonoid.

On MM's coach this solonoid was located in the front outside locker under the driver.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The solenoid should be easy to find, just open the mentioned locker and look up and to the front of the coach. It's the size of a small soup can, has two wires, and also a couple small air hoses.

I've had mine fail a couple times, turned out the wire connector fell off of the solenoid. Gave it a little squish with pliers to close up the connector a little, pushed it back on, and it hasn't fallen off since.

Start at the solenoid: put a meter across the terminals, and push the horn button. If you don't get 12 volts, it's a fuse, broken wire, or bad switch. If there is 12 volts, it's a solenoid or air problem.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

ok, wires ok, there is an air tank under the driver's feet on the outside, with a teeeeny air hose going in, and about a 1/8 inch going out to the relay. There is no air going into the air tank, so there is no air for the horn. Now, where is the compressor?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is a pure and simple guess, because this is nothing I now anything about:

I would expect the air pressure to come from my front air tank (same as is used for my brakes) . I wouldn't expect to find a separate compressor. I would assume that the solenoid just opens a valve that, in turn, connects the air tank with the air horn??

I could be wrong though!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
This is a pure and simple guess, because this is nothing I now anything about:

I would expect the air pressure to come from my front air tank (same as is used for my brakes) . I wouldn't expect to find a separate compressor. I would assume that the solenoid just opens a valve that, in turn, connects the air tank with the air horn??

I could be wrong though!

That would work, but I don't have air brakes. I do have that small air tank up front, then a tiiiiiny air line that disappears with a bunch of wires. In the back, I see an air line that goes to the pac brake off of the back of the engine. I don't think that is feeding the front tank. I think I will just install a small electric compressor to air up the small front tank.