Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Air horns

My air horns on my 2008 Dynasty quit working. The fuse is good. What else should I check?
ken bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Does your compressor pump up? What kind of activator do you have? Could it be a loose connection on the activator?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

yes compressor pumps up. Sorry Larry I do not know what you mean by activator, do not know what the activator is?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
yes compressor pumps up. Sorry Larry I do not know what you mean by activator, do not know what the activator is?
Horn button...
Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

its a smart wheel activator
Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #6

on the steering wheel.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The only other thing I would know to check is the wire connections at the compressor and the air line to the horns.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

There is no separate air compressor. They use air from the main air tanks. In the generator compartment on the drivers side is an air control solenoid.

Ken, by the fuse in the Forward Run Box are three LEDs, green, yellow and red. With the ignition switch on you should just have a RED LED on which indicates that the fuse is good. When someone hits the horn button the YELLOW and GREEN LEDs should come on. IF no YELLOW then there is no 12 volts from the Smart Wheel Control Box. If YELLOW comes on but no GREEN then the horn relay is bad. If all three come on then it is most likely the 12 volt air control solenoid in the generator compartment that is bad
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

I have been waiting for your reply to this question Mike because you always have the answer as to what to look for. Will check this out and let you know, thanks
Old 02-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken bauer View Post
I have been waiting for your reply to this question Mike because you always have the answer as to what to look for. Will check this out and let you know, thanks
I was telling you what I know from the perspective of a gas MH owner. Sorry if I confused the issue. Mine does have a separate compressor for the horns. I must admit that I was confused by the smart wheel.
I hope you find your problem.

It would help in the future if you would put your rig info with a signature that will automatically post with your comments.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There should be an air solenoid valve that is controlled by the horn button, and which allows the air to get to the horn. It can be identified by the air lines going in and out of it, and the pair of control wires.

I've had problems with my air horns in the past. On my rig, the solenoid is in the upper corner of the outside compartment on the driver's side in front of the front wheel. There are a pair of quick connect terminals, and one of them kept falling off on me. I finally gave the Faston connector a little squeeze with some pliers, and it hasn't fallen off since.

Find the solenoid, it should be near the front driver corner of the coach, either in that compartment or in with the generator. There should be 12 volts on the two solenoid terminals when someone presses the horn button. If there is, the solenoid valve is bad. But it's more likely you have a loose connection or fuse somewhere.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #12

Mike, when my wife turns on the key there are no lights on for the horn fuse, horn relay or horn signal and all three fuses look good?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
There should be an air solenoid valve that is controlled by the horn button, and which allows the air to get to the horn. It can be identified by the air lines going in and out of it, and the pair of control wires.

I've had problems with my air horns in the past. On my rig, the solenoid is in the upper corner of the outside compartment on the driver's side in front of the front wheel. There are a pair of quick connect terminals, and one of them kept falling off on me. I finally gave the Faston connector a little squeeze with some pliers, and it hasn't fallen off since.

Find the solenoid, it should be near the front driver corner of the coach, either in that compartment or in with the generator. There should be 12 volts on the two solenoid terminals when someone presses the horn button. If there is, the solenoid valve is bad. But it's more likely you have a loose connection or fuse somewhere.
Always start with the solenoid. The air has moisture in it from the compressor. This moisture will cause the sliding valve in the solenoid to stick. We always started our checkout with the solenoid. 80% of the time it was the solenoid sticking.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #14

The air in a DP has zero moisture in it. We all have air dryers on our air systems or it will screw up the air brakes. We also have drains on the bottom of the air tanks that we open and drain on a routine basis
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote