Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air Hose Bib - 1999 Diplomat

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and motorhomes, so please explain things slow! I found two air bibs under my drivers side compartment and thought to myself, it would be a great idea to buy a hose and some attachments so that I can keep my tires aired up along with any else around the campground, but cannot get any air to come out. I found that on the back of the first hose bib, there is a cut off switch. It was in the up/down position, so I assumed it was on, but I can't get any air out. I'm using a class "M" connector. Am I using the correct bib, or should I be using the one with the black cover on it? It doesn't seem to push up to to receive my connector. Any help you guys can give me would be great!

Thank you,
Garry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-06_12-29-59_805.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	9312   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-06_12-30-42_686.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	9313  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-06_12-40-09_305.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9314   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-06_12-40-22_560.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	9315  

gprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garry, the one with the female fitting (not the one you have the hose connected to) will have air when your tanks are up or the engine is running. Remember your coach compressor will produce around 125 lbs before the air dryer unloads pressure. That means it will take more force than normal to insert the air hose (male) fitting into the connector. If you then disconnect it while the coach is pressured up, there will be a big rush of air out of your hose. Will take even more force to pull the outside of the female fitting up so as to release the air hose once you have the pressure up.

I use air this way all the time and it is best to have the engine running when airing up tires as you only have the system pressure of around 125 lbs. If the engine is running that pressure will be maintained but adding air in each tire may be slower than you would think. Still works fine.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Rex, I appreciate your instructions and I'll give it another try, but use the female end this time! I wasn't sure why it was covered, I thought it was one of those "Don't Touch" things. Back on the male end for a second, should I twist the yellow valve handle that is built in behind it that you can't see on the picture so that it is perpendicular with the hose end? This would be the off position, right?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garry, just leave it alone. That is the line a tow truck driver would use to insert air into your system should it have to be towed. Never have it towed with the air down. First it will lock the brakes and can damage the coach. If you ever have it towed, remove the drive-shaft first and mark how it is attached so it can be reattached in the exact same position.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you sir! I appreciate all of your advice.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE: I attached my hose to the female end and everything worked like a charm! I still have a little hearing loss after disconnecting the air hose, lol. There is a lot of air that comes out and its very loud!

Thanks again Rex!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garry, you could put a cut-off on the air hose itself. Then it is much easier to disconnect it and once disconnected you can slowly open the cut-off and release the air in the hose. Could also be a safer way of using the air hose.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

In reading the above I would like to add something I feel is very important from a personal experience. Anytime you air up a tire you need a locking chuck, eye protection, hearing protection and a distance of 25 feet from the tire.
I am going thru what happens when you dont. I had a inside dual explode in my face while airing it up. I received delayed stress syndrome, ear damage and now have post concusion syndrome. I see in my Monacao manual they are showing a guy airing a tire up from 12 feet away. 25 feet with the the above safety eqpt. is the minimum safe distance. Dont chance this one. It can be deadly. Had it been the outside dual I would probably be dead.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, thank you for sharing your experience. My spider sense went off on how unsafe it was for me to have my fingers so close to a 115 lbs of air pressure going into a tire. I appreciate your suggestions and will try to air them up with the locking stem attachment and at least safety glasses, leather work gloves and ear plugs.

Thanks again, we should always remember, safety first!