Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Air Leak In 05 Dynasty Diamond IV With HWH Air Leveling

Coach 05 Dynasty Diamond IV With HWH air leveling and front ping tanks.

I have my 05 DDIV securely up on ramps troubleshooting a problem. The first symptom that I noticed was that after I shut down the engine, both of the R front airbags are deflated within ~10 min. with all the others remaining inflated. All bags remain normally inflated while the engine is running.
I also noticed that when the engine is running, the main compressor is cycling on/off more often than usual with corresponding pressure drops and recovery on the dash pressure gauges. During testing, I also happened to notice that after I shut the engine off after the system has completely aired up, when I immediately actuate the dump air button ALL the bags deflate promptly EXCEPT the R front which deflate very slowly as first noted. Looking at the functional air diagram in the HWH manual, it seems to me one thing that could/might cause this behavior is a R LOWER/EXHAUST solenoid valve that is stuck partially open...IF this is possible.

I have been under the coach several times now and don't see any obvious leaks, or wires disconnected but must admit that I haven't yet thoroughly sprayed everything down to check for leaks. As those of you who have done this know, it is way easier said than done especially for persons with my physical habitus <VBG>

I also haven't closely inspected the wire connections to the six pack....yet
since it has turned COLD today here in N Texas

Any thoughts are appreciated. Also I have been in touch via phone with the Master Sleuth, Frank McElroy, who has been extremely patient and helpful to/with me regarding this.

TBoone
05 DDIV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	251
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	191292  
tbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had an issue with my system on my 2005 Dynasty. It turned out to be the air solenoid in the six pack. I took soapy water and sprayed it down then watched for leaks. Some may be hard to see. I ordered new solenoids and it fixed my issue. I took the old solenoids apart and replaced O rings. Worked out saving me a lot of money. I hope this helps. Good luck.
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks Butch. That is very helpful since we apparently have the same coach. Do you know which solenoid it was? Also, how fast did yours leak down?
My R front bags leak down completely in ~10-20 min.

TBoone
05 DDIV
Old 02-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the solenoid o rings are bad it could leak down quickly. It also could be your leveling valve. Spray it down with soapy water to see where the leaks are. I had two solenoids bad. I can get you the part numbers and where to purchase them tomorrow if you need it.
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I also replaced all of the Orings in all three manifolds last year. Biggest pain was getting the manifoldsout and installing them. Just tight quarters to work in. I also found a few leaky fittings by spraying a soap and water mixture on every fitting I could find. Easy to fix these also. Just removed the hose from the push lock fitting and snipped off a piece of the hose just behind where the fitting had clamped on the hose. Have to make sure to thoroughly clean any paint and grime off of the hose prior to re-installing it.
When you remove each solenoid from the manifold it should become obvious which one was sticking. After cleaning be careful not to over tighten when installing or the threads will break off of it. (Guess how I figured this out). If the solenoids appear to be functioning fine then you may have a back coil pack. Check for continuity with an ohm meter.
Lastly, be sure to block your frame and dump all air from the system prior to going under the coach. I put the Coach at max height and then cut 4 6x6 pieces to fit vertically between the frame and subframe and then dump the air.

Good luck
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

>I also found a few leaky fittings by spraying a soap and water mixture on every fitting I >could find.
Thx. I did quickly spray the six pack with kids bubble solution and there were small bubbles everywhere. I just attributed these bubbles to the act of spraying the solution itself. I expected to see larger, more obvious bubbles. Are the bubbles more subtle than
that? Also, my manifold has only one physical exhaust port with nothing attached to it. There were no bubbles over it when I sprayed it.

Am I missing something?

TBoone
05 DDIV
Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfisher View Post
>I also found a few leaky fittings by spraying a soap and water mixture on every fitting I >could find.
Thx. I did quickly spray the six pack with kids bubble solution and there were small bubbles everywhere. I just attributed these bubbles to the act of spraying the solution itself. I expected to see larger, more obvious bubbles. Are the bubbles more subtle than
that? Also, my manifold has only one physical exhaust port with nothing attached to it. There were no bubbles over it when I sprayed it.

Am I missing something?

TBoone
05 DDIV
I found when I spray the solution on a fitting that leaks, at first you get bubbles but they are from the actual spraying. Then I wait a little while. Those bubbles will pop but leave a soap solution around the fitting. It's then that any leak will form new bubbles.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On the manifold the bubbles will be very small, almost look like foam growing slowly. The exhaust will just be an open port. For me the fitting that leaked were a lot more obvious.
When I did my manifold orings I found the there was aluminum corrosion that was the likely cause. I took one apart and was able to identify the oring size and order from McMaster Carr. Sorry but I am away from my coach so I do not have access to the oring size.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

>I found when I spray the solution on a fitting that leaks, at first you get bubbles but they >are from the actual spraying. Then I wait a little while. Those bubbles will pop but leave >a soap solution around the fitting. It's then that any leak will form new bubbles.

Thx. Looks like I'm might be too impatient. Since my two R front bags leak completely down in 10-20 min, I expected to see bigger, more obvious bubbles. I'll give it another try.

TBoone
05 DDIV
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

I too had problems and ordered O-rings from HWH for 8 bucks a set of 6, X 3. I ended up buying this O-ring kit for 55 bucks and covered many more applications. Plus I am covered for the inner O-rings under solenoid, 6 total there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	191325  

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I did replace the small orings also and would recommend it while you are there
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #12

Here's a pic of my manifold and solenoids. To remove the solenoid, do I only need to remove the large nut at the top? Also, I have also included a link to a leak test/demo.

TBoone
05 DDIV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH_Solenoid.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	191362  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Commercial Member

the actual valve is under the magnetic coil. be sure to either have the coach on ramps,
or blocks between the body and frame at the axles. i use a piece of steel tube about 6 inches to do this.
corrosion between the valve body and the aluminum block is often found on older coaches, or coaches used in northern climates. if you remove the valve, its smart to replace all the o rings. just good mechanic's practice.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #14

Nice pics here:

HWH Leveling Six Pack Solenoid Replace

TBoone
05 DDIV

Tags
air, hwh, leak, leveling