Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Air Leveling Issues '08 Holiday Rambler

We have a 2008 holiday rambler Scepter 43 foot with air leveling only. The auxiliary air pump for the leveling is coming on about every second and then turning off immediately again when I have it in auto level mode. I replaced the pressure switch which is supposed to turn the pump on at 90 psi and off at 120 psi.. I can’t imagine there is an air leak that would cause the pressure to drop from 120psi to 90psi every second causing the auxiliary pump to kick back on? I replaced the air pump also thinking that may be the issue, and it’s still doing the same thing. This quick cycling on and off of the pump only started in the last month or so. Prior to that it would only come on about every hour or so. Any thoughts?
Brianpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco plumbed many aux air systems incorrectly. The short cycling is the result. They put the check valve next to the pressure switch. The check valve should be immediately after the pump.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpr View Post
We have a 2008 holiday rambler Scepter 43 foot with air leveling only. The auxiliary air pump for the leveling is coming on about every second and then turning off immediately again when I have it in auto level mode. I replaced the pressure switch which is supposed to turn the pump on at 90 psi and off at 120 psi.. I can’t imagine there is an air leak that would cause the pressure to drop from 120psi to 90psi every second causing the auxiliary pump to kick back on? I replaced the air pump also thinking that may be the issue, and it’s still doing the same thing. This quick cycling on and off of the pump only started in the last month or so. Prior to that it would only come on about every hour or so. Any thoughts?

Hole in air bags?
Old 10-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Monaco plumbed many aux air systems incorrectly. The short cycling is the result. They put the check valve next to the pressure switch. The check valve should be immediately after the pump.

Thanks I will give this a try and see what happens!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks I will give this a try and see what happens!
if you want to post some pictures of the air line between the aux compressor, up through the "T", and over to the pressure switch, we could try to diagnosis from that.

As I recall on my coach, Monaco had attached the pressure switch directly to the check valve. What were they thinking?
Old 10-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I assume you either disconnected the power wire, or pulled the fuse for the compressor?
Can't see that compressor surviving running every few seconds for a month.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I assume you either disconnected the power wire, or pulled the fuse for the compressor?

Can't see that compressor surviving running every few seconds for a month.

Yes I pulled the wire at 4 am during a trip to CO!! Didn’t want to wake the whole resort!
Old 10-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
if you want to post some pictures of the air line between the aux compressor, up through the "T", and over to the pressure switch, we could try to diagnosis from that.

As I recall on my coach, Monaco had attached the pressure switch directly to the check valve. What were they thinking?

I actually don’t see a check valve? The hose off the T on the left goes to the pressure switch and the hose off the T to the right goes directly to the pressure tank? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	346461
Old 10-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I actually don’t see a check valve? The hose off the T on the left goes to the pressure switch and the hose off the T to the right goes directly to the pressure tank? Attachment 346461
The red mark that is on the fitting (barely see it in your picture) that goes into the tank is likely your check valve. It needs to be moved. You may not be able to use the exact same check valve as that one may be part of the fitting that screws into the tank. Either way, the check valve needs to go immediately after the pump, before the "T".

You may need to get a new fitting for the tank (without a check valve built in) and an 'inline' check valve to install either on or after the pump. Most any truck supply/repair shop will have those parts.

You don't want a check valve between the tank and the pressure switch. If you do, the pressure switch is reacting to the pressure inside the line, not the tank. that is why it short cycles.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The red mark that is on the fitting (barely see it in your picture) that goes into the tank is likely your check valve. It needs to be moved or replace it. It needs to go immediately after the pump, before the "T".

You don't want a check valve between the tank and the pressure switch. If you do, the pressure switch is reacting to the pressure inside the line, not the tank. that is why it short cycles.

I wondered about that too! I will give it a try and let you know what I find. Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-19-2021, 05:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
MY '08 Camelot (sister-ship) was plumbed incorrectly too, as noted above by Bill and others. Switched everything around (check valve is the orange thing), and it works as expected now.

As to why the pump suddenly started coming on so much, it's probably time to crawl underneath and check. Even a once-an-hour duty cycle is pretty rapid.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think that little check valve can get stuck partially open, and your air in the leveling tank bleeds back thru it, and out the compressor.

Few years ago, mine started running too often. I removed and lubed that valve, and it's worked properly ever since.

Was recently at a park for 10 days. Shut the engine down with full tanks, and the aux compressor never started the entire time.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I think that little check valve can get stuck partially open, and your air in the leveling tank bleeds back thru it, and out the compressor.

Few years ago, mine started running too often. I removed and lubed that valve, and it's worked properly ever since.

Was recently at a park for 10 days. Shut the engine down with full tanks, and the aux compressor never started the entire time.
Ben,

If Brianpr's check valve was leaking, like you mention, and the air was getting back to compressor and leaking out, the aux air tank would deplete and when the compressor came on, it wouldn't short cycle, rather run for quite a while to replenish the tank.

The reason it short cycles is because the air switch is only monitoring the small volume of air between itself, the compressor and the check valve next to the tank, not the tank itself.

I still think monaco screwed up when they plumbed these things. The compressor can hold back pressure, but it's not designed to do that.
JMO, however.

Tags
air, leveling