Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Air leveling system

Have 2008 Dynasty with air leveling system only. Won’t hold level after the initial setup. Have never heard the on board compressor kick in. Only clicking sound. Have had the system checked for leaks and have been told there are none. Should I be hearing the compressor when it kicks in. I’m checking all the fuses again. Anyone out there have suggestions or experience similar problems with their air leveling systems? Comments pro or con on air leveling only.
2008DYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Technical data

Have you been able to find a wiring schematic and or a technical data source that describes your system? If you could access your compressor or find where it's located maybe you could listen from a closer position to see if it kicks on or not, Good luck and I hope you get the answers to fix the problem.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You would be able to hear the compressor. It is likely located just behind the the drive axle on the curb side. They are know to be problematic over time since they are exposed to the elements
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The compressor could also be curb side just forward of steer axle. The pressure switch is a common failure point.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008DYN View Post
Have 2008 Dynasty with air leveling system only. Won’t hold level after the initial setup. Have never heard the on board compressor kick in. Only clicking sound. Have had the system checked for leaks and have been told there are none. Should I be hearing the compressor when it kicks in. I’m checking all the fuses again. Anyone out there have suggestions or experience similar problems with their air leveling systems? Comments pro or con on air leveling only.
First off, I love air leveling and don't think I would own a coach without it! Yes, you should hear the compressor come on at some point.

The compressor may look like one of those portable 12v compressors similar to a Viair. Nothing complicated.

Find your air leveling tank. It should be near the compressor. Open the petcock on the bottom to see if any air comes out. If so, then your compressor is working...at least to the point that it is filling the tank. If no air (or very little) comes out and you have a Valid leveling system, then like Captjake1 said, the pressure switch could be the culprit. When the air in the tank drops below 90psi (I think) it should signal the compressor to come on. If the PS has failed, the compressor may never come on. You can test the compressor by bypassing the PS and getting 12v power to it. Be sure the fuse is good.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We had HWH air leveling on our 2003 Monaco Camelot and loved it. Downside is that you feel people moving about in the other end of the coach. That wasn't something we minded. We had a leak and a compressor issue. Took it to HWH (about 30 miles away) and they fixed it pronto. Squirted soapy water on valves and connections, and replaced a few O-rings. I think there was a wiring issue with the compressor but I don't recall for sure. It worked well after that until we traded it earlier this year. Good luck.
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
90% chance your compressor is seized or the switch is failing. I changed the switch on mine and cleaned and moved the compressor in the first basement storage. No more problems...
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty_09 View Post
90% chance your compressor is seized or the switch is failing. I changed the switch on mine and cleaned and moved the compressor in the first basement storage. No more problems...
I’d like to do the same thing with mine. Any chance you could share details or pictures of how you did it?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I’d like to do the same thing with mine. Any chance you could share details or pictures of how you did it?
Yes, pduggs, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow...
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Have you been able to find a wiring schematic and or a technical data source that describes your system? If you could access your compressor or find where it's located maybe you could listen from a closer position to see if it kicks on or not, Good luck and I hope you get the answers to fix the problem.

Thanks for replying. Many good suggestions.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
First off, I love air leveling and don't think I would own a coach without it! Yes, you should hear the compressor come on at some point.

The compressor may look like one of those portable 12v compressors similar to a Viair. Nothing complicated.

Find your air leveling tank. It should be near the compressor. Open the petcock on the bottom to see if any air comes out. If so, then your compressor is working...at least to the point that it is filling the tank. If no air (or very little) comes out and you have a Valid leveling system, then like Captjake1 said, the pressure switch could be the culprit. When the air in the tank drops below 90psi (I think) it should signal the compressor to come on. If the PS has failed, the compressor may never come on. You can test the compressor by bypassing the PS and getting 12v power to it. Be sure the fuse is good.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve read the sound of the compressor coming on can be startling. I know I’ve never heard anything like that. I will have the entire system, including the pressure switch checked out. This has been more then annoying not having a level coach. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty_09 View Post

I will definitely have the compressor and anything related to it checked out. Having a coach that you can’t keep level is annoying and slightly embarrassing. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #13

On mine they put the pressure switch that controls the pump at the bottom of a loop. With just "air" (not dried air) going into it's separate air tank it clogged with gunk easily. I only got a year or two from each switch. Finally I replumbed the pump to tank line and put the switch on top. Now, no more problems.

Switches are available from Amazon, (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #14

The compressor has 2 wires going to it. One is the power for the compressor and the other is to the relay to close and apply the power. If you can hear a click it means that is is sensing low pressure and closing the relay. That means that either the power to the compressor is missing or the compressor is inoperative. If you have power and you are not blowing fuses, I would suspect bad brushes in the compressor motor.
traveler999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leveling