RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

Air loss one side

I have an air loss on one side of the coach when sitting. No issue with driving. After stopping engine off parked the right side drops within a couple of hours. after sitting overnight it is down quite a lot but only on the right side when started the air gauge shows 80 lbs and quickly fills to normal ride height and with air gauge showing the normal air over 100 psi. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and what the resolution was. The coach is a 2006 Signature. I know that the air system has hundreds of possible leak origins but with only one side having an issue thought that might indicate a specific area. the connections at the air bags have been verified to be good. Wondering if it is a proportioning valve or?. I would thing if it as a general air leak in the system it would drop both sides and not maintain the 80psi that it does.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated greatly.

Mholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You many have more than 1 leak. But I would start looking for a leak, right side rear axle. If it's dropping within a couple hours, you probably can hear the leak once you get under there. You'll be able to see it if you spray a soap solution on all the connections.

Always use precautions going under a coach.

windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Travel air system (ride height valves) is different from your air leveling system. On a 06 rig it’s probably the HWH 6 pack valve O rings which are repairable. I would still try and find a airline leak as they are easier to fix BUT you need to be careful about getting under these MHs.

I made 2 wooden ramps for the front so there’s enough clearance even with the air out of the bags. For the rear I cut 4, 11” long blocks out of 2” square receiver tubing that I put between the frame rails and the axle H frame... manually raise the rear, install the 4 metal blocks, and then let the MH down on them.

I have used just the 2 wooden ramps for one side of the drive axle when needing to work on something on one side.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks, I have done leak testing and found nothing. I will look into the HWH Valve i suspect that it is in the leveling system as it does not lose all coach air even over time.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Be careful under there . I have been under our coach many times some of those
times without proper measures
I knew better but was in a hurry , I was lucky and I wont be doing that again .

With permission I am including the post below from another forum

I just got a message from a friend of mine telling me about an owner who was crushed to death under his Dynasty.
I do not know the full particulars of the accident so I am not going to arm chair quarterback or try and surmise what happened.
I did not know the owners but my friend owned the 2015 Dynasty previously and I inspected it at the gathering in 2019 and was helping them chase a leak.
Mark traded it in on a Prevost recently and the new owner picked it up. While staying at a campground they developed an electrical issue
so the guy climbed underneath. The auto leveling dumped its air and the coach crushed him to death.
The point of this post is to remind people that on coaches with auto leveling you have no business being under your coach unless you know
the safety procedures for dealing with the auto leveling system. The big coaches with auto leveling like the Dynastys, Exec's and Sigs have very little ground clearance
underneath to begin with and if that air dumps you WILL get crushed. Stay the hell out from under your coaches unless you know what you are doing and have taken necessary safety precautions.
The wife and family of this gentleman will remain in my prayers.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
He doesnt say that when he stopped he placed it in auto level???
I dont think.

Anyway.

Mine stays in travel mode when I stop and shut down.

I can leave it indefinitely I think ? And I do.

Unless Im at a campground or uneven rest stop for a time and engage
( Auto level )

Then the 6 packs activate.

When I fire up the engine and air up.
And or the air is adequate the travel light comes on.

I would start looking at the leveling valve and
Tube connections first.
If mine.

Good luck finding and fixing the leak, leaks
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mholt View Post
I have an air loss on one side of the coach when sitting. No issue with driving. After stopping engine off parked the right side drops within a couple of hours. after sitting overnight it is down quite a lot but only on the right side when started the air gauge shows 80 lbs and quickly fills to normal ride height and with air gauge showing the normal air over 100 psi. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and what the resolution was. The coach is a 2006 Signature. I know that the air system has hundreds of possible leak origins but with only one side having an issue thought that might indicate a specific area. the connections at the air bags have been verified to be good. Wondering if it is a proportioning valve or?. I would thing if it as a general air leak in the system it would drop both sides and not maintain the 80psi that it does.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated greatly.

I have the exact same thing with my '02 Diplomat. But after about 4-5 days the air is down to about 30-40 ans the whole HM is on the bottom.

I don't worry about it as i goes right back to normal once the motor starts and the air pressure returns to 130.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would look for the leak at a fitting. The "Six Pack" valves control front and back...But if your back valve is leaking it will drop that whole side. If you're going to own one of these coaches you need to buy an electronic leak detector. It is so much better/faster then soapy water. I have used both and I could not find a leak with soapy water because I couldn't see it. I bought the detector and put it within a a couple inches of the leak and there it was! They are about $50 and worth every penny.

The one I have is a Mrcartool Ultrasonic Leak Detector & Transmitter Locator to leaks Air, Water, Dust with Headphone Accessory Kit LED Indication (ultrasonic Leak Detector)

Once you use one of these you'll never go back to soapy water.

Tim
Timaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #9

Sounds like the OP is talking about the chassis air system, not a leveling system.

It's not uncommon for them to develop leaks. Look for air leaks at the air bags (all six sides), at the lines and connections, and at the ride height valves.

If you can find no external leaks of air, it is also possible that one of the ride height valves is leaking internally, which means that instead of the air remaining in the air bag when the engine is off, it's escaping back into the tank through the valve.

If it's the ride height valve, these are pretty inexpensive. If it's an air line or fitting, also not expensive. Air bags can cost a few dollars more, but not that bad, especially if you do the work.

Again, do not get under your coach unless it's properly supported. The leveling jacks are NOT intended to hold up a vehicle while a person works underneath. Use jack stands or other proper blocking.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #10

Thanks, I am aware of the danger and don't go under but have had it on a lift and found some leaks that were minor but have not fixed the issue.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #11

If i leave it it travel mode that is when the right side will eventually drop
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I would look for the leak at a fitting. The "Six Pack" valves control front and back...But if your back valve is leaking it will drop that whole side. If you're going to own one of these coaches you need to buy an electronic leak detector. It is so much better/faster then soapy water. I have used both and I could not find a leak with soapy water because I couldn't see it. I bought the detector and put it within a a couple inches of the leak and there it was! They are about $50 and worth every penny.

The one I have is a Mrcartool Ultrasonic Leak Detector & Transmitter Locator to leaks Air, Water, Dust with Headphone Accessory Kit LED Indication (ultrasonic Leak Detector)

Once you use one of these you'll never go back to soapy water.

Tim
I think I need one of those.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #13

First you need to realize that the” sides” are isolated from each other by check valves and the 6 pack manifolds. There are several sets of drawings available that Will tank help a lot in understanding how the system works and therefore the best way to troubleshoot. When the drivers front corner started dropping on mine it was a hose between the ping tank and bags. The location prevented me from seeing it with soapy water. The detector mentioned above is a great idea but do not have one. It is on the list.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
First you need to realize that the” sides” are isolated from each other by check valves and the 6 pack manifolds. There are several sets of drawings available that Will tank help a lot in understanding how the system works and therefore the best way to troubleshoot. When the drivers front corner started dropping on mine it was a hose between the ping tank and bags. The location prevented me from seeing it with soapy water. The detector mentioned above is a great idea but do not have one. It is on the list.
Thanks I did in fact find some drawings and schematics on the air system which is helpful. I am pretty sure that it is in the HWH air leveling side of things as i dont lose all air over time just the sag on one side that takes the total air down to about 80 lbs and holds there. very helpful information form all. Thank You

Tags
air