Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I stand corrected. You are correct, I guess if it went 6" below flat then it would be 12" difference.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
I no longer need to carry blocks of wood to place under the jacks and jockey the coach back and forth to find the sweet spot for leveling. I just hit the saevel button twice and it works. Love it!
I have a 04 Safari Cheetah. What button do you push twice?
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Just an FYI for those with Valid Power gear air leveling. If you push the auto-level button and it returns with the "slope" icon. You can hit auto-level 3 or 4 more times, it will then level to the best of its ability. Many times, only one dot is red, which it plenty confortable for me and my fridge.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Just an FYI for those with Valid Power gear air leveling. If you push the auto-level button and it returns with the "slope" icon. You can hit auto-level 3 or 4 more times, it will then level to the best of its ability. Many times, only one dot is red, which it plenty confortable for me and my fridge.
Unfortunately, my PowerGear hydraulic system is "manual" and not automatic. I had hoped this thread was educating me on some way to better utilize my 4 bag air system to help level my coach without using the 3 point hydraulic system.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post

Unfortunately, my PowerGear hydraulic system is "manual" and not automatic. I had hoped this thread was educating me on some way to better utilize my 4 bag air system to help level my coach without using the 3 point hydraulic system.
Maddog

This thread is talking about two different leveling systems. The air leveling system is an option on some of the coaches and typically it was the higher end coaches that had the option. Many diesel pushers had air ride suspension/air bags but that doesn't mean it has air leveling. They are two different things either though air leveling utilizes the suspension air bags. Hope that makes sense. I don't see what coach you have in your signature to see if you have that option.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have air leveling, and have been wondering about this pushing the button twice.
I hit auto level once, and that's it!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #21

With my 06 Beaver Patriot Thunder once you set the parking brake, you push the air level button once to activate the system and again to start leveling process, when done the air level light flickers for awhile then it goes to sleep and then wakes up to check level and correct as needed.
At level pad sites I just dump the air and the coach just sits down.

One time we were at a site that it could not level the coach, the front was all the way down and the rear bags as high as could be. It kept trying to level the coach so I just pushed the button to get it to stop. It stayed jacked up like this for a day and a half until we left.

No complaints with the air leveling system and no blocks or boards to mess with.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'll add my 2 cents worth.

My coach came with air leveling only BUT I now wished that the original owners had chosen the combo air & hydraulic which was another option back then.

Between the two if I had a choice it would be the air only.

However, there have been plenty of times that it would have been really convenient to air level first and then manually lower the hydraulic jacks just enough to stabilize the coach in a wind.

We are currently rocking around pretty good with the Santa Ana winds that have been blowing in southern California for the last two days. With hydraulic jacks for stability it would reduce or eliminate the rocking.

I have talked to HWH in Iowa about adding the hydralic jacks to my coach but they want $8000 to do that install. I think that money would be better spent on something else.

I know of one person who had the air leveling retrofitted to his coach, Rex Darley who no longer is RVing due to his health. I believe he installed it himself.

Bottom-line, it's just like the Aqua-Hot and the Progressive EMS System, I wouldn't have a coach without it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach only has the hydraulic 3 point leveling system. Countless times I find myself saying, 'Boy, I'm glad I don't have only the air leveling system, because it couldn't level the coach on this site.'

So, I'm going to try to make sure that our next coach (whenever that may be in the future) has both air leveling and hydraulic leveling. Then I may find that I don't need the hydraulic leveling, but at least I'll have it.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #24

Many thanks to everyone's contribution! I had no idea there was both an air leveling AND a hydraulic leveling systems. All of you have helped me understand my coach's limitations.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #25

We love our air leveling system!!!!!!!!!!! Peter
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #26

We recently added air leveling to our Dutch Star. We spent 3 days living in HWH facility in Iowa, while it was added.

As it turns out, it WAS everything I hoped it would be. The remaining trip home, with a stop at Blue Ox in NE, was nothing but high winds and cold.

When we stopped at Blue OX we let the air leveling do it's thing. There was a little bit more movement when the washer was in spin, It did feel different thou, softer if you will. I think it because the coach was rigid on the ground, so it's suspension absorbed some of the shake.

On the way home the winds forced us over in Mitchell SD (at the Cabelas), so there we sat nice and level while waiting out the storm.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Allure only has air leveling. It is slick and I really like it. I surely don't miss the intermittent problem I had with one of my hydraulic jacks failing to fully retract on my previous coach. You can feel the coach bounce a bit at times.....jacks do add a measure of stability that air bags do not.

Now, we've only been using the coach on fairly level sites and I suspect the time will come when there will be too much slope to get level with the air only system. I carry some of those stackable plastic leveling blocks just in case.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with air.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #28

My thanks to all you fine folks for confirming my suspicion that Air-Only Leveling is a very fine thing!

Happy trails!
Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote