Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air pressure leak

OK, so we are new here and just purchased our 2001 Windsor 40 pbd.

The air pressure drops to about 25-30pds when sitting and the alarm drives me crazy for the 30 seconds it takes to fill back up above 60pds.
So I started listening after getting the pressure up and in the front, over the generator, with the gen slide out, is a small blue box, (maybe 1" by 1"), that says "Mac" on it. Under this little box there is air hissing out a little round deal.

What is it, could that be the problem and anything else one should know?

Thanks!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
That is a Mac valve probably for your air cover on your step cover if you have one.

It could be a bad Mac valve which you can get for around 40 dollars but it's more likely the step air cylinder is leaking past the seals and out the exhaust port of the Mac valve.

You can buy a new air cylinder from alliance for $300 or rebuild yours for about 15 dollars (new seals). Or buy a new air cylinder from the manufacturer for less than shelf what a dealer would charge.
If it's a PHH air cylinder I can provide more info on options.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff, thank for the prompt reply!

Is it possible to check the air cylinder if it is leaking there?
Will there be any hissing at the step???
Yes we have the auto step and that makes sense.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Sure. It's hard to get too but you can take off the front of the step cover and get to the front of the air cylinder easy. The back side of the cylinder is harder to get too. You can soap and water test the rod but your cylinder is probably leaking past it's internal seals and out the exhaust port if the Mac valve. Does it leak with the step in both positions?
Maybe you can take a picture of the cylinder or use a mirror to find a art number and manufacturer. I had the same problem and replaced the Mac valve first. Didn't help so I rebuilt the cylinder for $12 worth of parts. Now I hold air for days!! Lots of places these things can leak air
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It could be two things if it is on the passenger side it would be the step slide Mac valve, if it is on the driver side and you have jacks it would be the front dump valve. Take off the inlet air line and spray WD 40 in the line and hook back up and cycle the switch a few times if you get it to stop order a replacement if you cant go to NAPA and buy a plug for the 1/4 air line
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it leaks out the Mac valve with the step in either position.

Now I don't want to brag but I am really good at taking stuff apart. Really good.
Problem is I am equally as bad at ever getting it back together. Really bad.
So I am NOT that guy who can rebuild a cylinder.
I AM the guy who prompted businesses to have a additional charge if "You worked on it first!"

Exp has proven it is cheaper for me to have someone else do it. Way cheaper....

Having said that, The more I do know about what is going on the better chance I have at getting it fixed right, once.

I will take a look at taking off the cover and looking at the thing. But that maybe as far as I should go.

I will see if I can find a model # in there somewhere.

Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
It could be two things if it is on the passenger side it would be the step slide Mac valve, if it is on the driver side and you have jacks it would be the front dump valve. Take off the inlet air line and spray WD 40 in the line and hook back up and cycle the switch a few times if you get it to stop order a replacement if you cant go to NAPA and buy a plug for the 1/4 air line

It is the Mac valve that is directly in the center of the firewall.

I see there is an "air dump" switch in the cab. I have no idea what that does or if I should dump some air and see if that helps???
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty sure that will be the air dump mac valve and i dont think you will be able to get it apart, i have tried.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Pretty sure that will be the air dump mac valve and i dont think you will be able to get it apart, i have tried.

Great place to get Mac valves. http://adamsair.com

Jeff
Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Take off the inlet air line and spray WD 40 in the line and hook back up and cycle the switch a few times if you get it to stop order a replacement if you cant go to NAPA and buy a plug for the 1/4 air line
T Man, if it is the MAC valve for the step cover do this WD 40 trick.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks a bunch!
We will try that.

Tags
leak