Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Air ride air bag leaking

I have a 2001 Executive, and my left front air bag, at least 1/4 way around, is leaking bad around the top where it mounts to the plate. It wont even lift the coach, so I can't drive it to a shop. We are in a campground for a few weeks in northern Minnesota, and everyone knows these things never break near a repair shop. How can I tell which air bag I have so I can order one, and how hard is this job? I think if I get the part I could get someone out here to replace it.

Thank you in advance for any help, Tom.
tomdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdent View Post
I have a 2001 Executive, and my left front air bag, at least 1/4 way around, is leaking bad around the top where it mounts to the plate. It wont even lift the coach, so I can't drive it to a shop. We are in a campground for a few weeks in northern Minnesota, and everyone knows these things never break near a repair shop. How can I tell which air bag I have so I can order one, and how hard is this job? I think if I get the part I could get someone out here to replace it.

Thank you in advance for any help, Tom.
Tom,

I believe this is the number you need to call:

Monaco Tech Support 877-466-6226

Tell them your coach model and year and they will be able to tell you the part number.

Good luck,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

I agree with Bob. Call Monaco Tech. Ask them if all your air bags are the same part number and if not record them. This was was posted by somebody the other day.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Master Catalog Air Bag Catlaog.pdf (1.93 MB, 167 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tom what I have on our 2000 Dyn is a Firestone 1T15L-2 (this is the # on my front bags) or 9376 or Monacos # 8619 and here is a good link to Firestone Air Bags Truck Parts, Trailer Parts, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, Timbren Suspension - TruckSpring.com
I have not changed on my self but a friend of mine has and said it was not a bad job but he had jacks on his coach and your coach is probably air leveling but start now spraying the bolts with PB Blaster it will make it easier for whoever changes the bag.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

Since we are talking air bags here. A couple of things I have learned. I raise the suspension all the way up as high as it will go and then I wash my bags all around and especially underneath them which is normally covered when at ride position. It is possible to get rocks or debris under the bags then the bag rolls up and down when driving and it will wear a hole in the bag. Another good thing is to treat the bags with tha 303 Protectant. Do not use any petroleum based product.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Just got off the phone with Monaco, they are out of stock on them but he gave me the part #, same as Walt's, firetsone 9376. Mike, good idea on cleaning, might have prevented this for me and others. Thank you for the input and link's to suppliers, Tom
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

Just ordered from truckspring.com. Free shipping, $152.80. I don't have regular jacks, so I have a week to find a mobile repair or a jack. I will try to get under it and spray down the bolts later today. Thanks, Tom
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Walt,
Thanks for the very helpful information about your front air bags. Since my coach is quite similar to yours, 2001 Monaco Dynasty, model 38PBS, do you happen to know what the rear chassis air bag numbers are for your 2000 Dynasty?

Thanks for the assistance.

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
No I dont Jack but the part # will be right under the Firestone logo printed on the bag, the part # is a little hard to read so get a good light. Or go here to see.
Firestone Air Spring Identification Tips, Airide Air Bag Identification Tips - TruckSpring.com

Dont forget Tom spray the bolts two or three times a day with PB Blaster
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

The part number you need is AON which is the Assembly Order Number written on the metal top of the bag and not on the side under the logo. You can only read that AON on top when you take the bag out. The number on the side under the logo is the bellows number and you can use the same bellows on several different mounts. Read the whole book I attached in my earlier post. You can use the bag number and start measuring the mounts and using the book I posted work it out backwards and use a process of elimination if needed
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Thanks for the latest update on air bag identification and the earlier posting wherein you included a valuable Firestone pdf file. From briefly reviewing that document, which i have also printed, I was concerned that i would need more numbers than just a bellow number as it appears there are a wide variety of mounting applications for a particular bellow.

Haven't had to replace one yet, but I always like to be prepared and understand how to identify components, what is needed and where to acquire unique parts associated with these unique vehicles. I am definitely going to jack up my chassis and closely examine the interface between bellow and mounting base on all my air bags and treat the bellows with 303 which is a Great Idea to extend service life of components !!!

Thanks to all, for the assistance and information that makes the RV'g enthusiast feel as they are part of a special family.

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #12

Having had bag failures twice so far, one on the front bags on a 2003 40ft Alpine and now on our 2005 HR Navigator I think I can help with moving the coach.
if you have jacks you can jack the front up and put 2x4s on the front axle. then let it down and drive away. Believe it or not it will drive almost as smoothly as with the air bag. To be safer tie the 2x4s together with duct tape and then rope the 2xs to the axle. Drive slowly and it will get you there. With the Alpine I was able to just drive it with both front bags flat. Hard ride though