Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Air Suspension Not holding

When parked for about one week and leaving the HWH air leveling system in the manual mode for our coach, we've noticed that our coach's air bags - on the passenger's side - will loose enough air to slant/tilt the coach about three (3) inches (as measured from the top of the exterior and separate extra step next to the power steps).

Is this normal?

We've chosen to not use the auto-leveling option since "in the middle of the night automatic adjustments" can be a bit disturbing.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd check the Left side leveling valve and make sure it's not leaking. Not sure about your set up, often there are 2 valves in the back, one on each side, and one in the front. The left one could be leaking.

Do your air gauges also reflect a leak by going to 0 PSI? You could run engine and get pressure up, then shut down the engine and listen underneath for a leak. Also a spray bottle of soapy water can expose leaks in the air lines, valves, and connections. You could also listen and spray the air bags for leaks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd check the Left side leveling valve and make sure it's not leaking. Not sure about your set up, often there are 2 valves in the back, one on each side, and one in the front. The left one could be leaking.

Do your air gauges also reflect a leak by going to 0 PSI? You could run engine and get pressure up, then shut down the engine and listen underneath for a leak. Also a spray bottle of soapy water can expose leaks in the air lines, valves, and connections. You could also listen and spray the air bags for leaks.
When engine is running, the air pressure is about 130 PSI.

Your suggestion about doing a water/spray bottle air leak test is a good one. Does anyone know where these "leveling valves" are on a rig like mine?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The ride height, or leveling valves will be attached to the frame rail. The valve will have two air hoses attached. Each valve has a lever(arm) with a linkage rod at the end that will connect to the axle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure I understand your issue. On our coach the HWH "manual mode" means it is off. The leveling system won't do anything to correct an out of level condition like you describe when it is turned off.
After I level the coach I turn off the HWH system and we hold level or close to it for a few days. If I sense that we aren't level I turn the system on and initiate another level action. It corrects any out-of-level condition and I turn it off until needed.
The ride height valves are not part of the HWH system. The condition you describe is likely caused by a leak somewhere in the air suspension. If you turn on the HWH system every couple of days and level the coach you wouldn't see the slump. That assumes you have adequate air pressure in the tanks.
Keep an eye on your air gages. We lose about 10# a day. I can live with that by starting the engine about once a week to recharge the tanks. If it gets worse than that I'll look for the leak. I start the engine to recharge air when we drop below 60#. That is when the low air warning buzzer goes off if the engine were running. There is no low air alarm when the engine is off.
BTW, I disconnect the utility air hose when I am not using it. The quick connect chuck can be a significant leak source that no amount of spraying of connections under the coach will find. DAMHIK.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
When engine is running, the air pressure is about 130 PSI.

Your suggestion about doing a water/spray bottle air leak test is a good one. Does anyone know where these "leveling valves" are on a rig like mine?
I believe you will have 3 leveling valves. 1 in front center and 2 on the rear. The 2 rear ones are the ones that control left/right tilt. Since you're leaning to the side, likely your leaking is in the rear on the corresponding LOW side. You will want to spray not just the valves but all the air fittings as well. I've found numerous small leaks at different fittings over the years. If it's holding for several days, you don't have a major leak. I doubt you will be able to hear it. Once you spray the water/soap solution, you need to wait a few minutes to see if it starts bubbling. The small leaks are sometimes hard to find. Fittings are easy to come by as most truckers use the same stuff. Be careful under the coach. You definitely want to let ALL air out of the system and chock wheels before you start un-doing any fittings. Many people have built 2x12 stepped ramps to get the coach up a little higher so you can work under it with the air out of the system.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

I have had this 2 times in my Signature. One time was the left ride height control valve as others have stated, very easy to spot, find the leak and correct. Mine leaked out of the overboard vent tube which only should vent when needed rather than "leaking" all the time. Soap and water showed it easily.
The ride height valve is small, like the size of a salt shaker with an arm sticking out the side of it, mounted to the frame with a steel rod about 1/4 inch in diameter that extends down and attaches to the axle. One left, one right on the rear, one in the center on the front.

The second time was the 6 pack as they call it. This is an aluminum block with 6 relays on it (or at least in my case). The block is maybe 1.5 inches thick, 8 inches long by 5 inches wide (guessing here) The relays are simple round electric solenoids with I think one power wire each. Perhaps 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall (again guessing from memory). There is 1 block in the front of the coach and one in the back. It has air lines plumbed to it for controlling the air to the suspension to raise or lower each air bag as needed to level the coach. This means, it will add air to say the left front and take air from the right front if that is what it takes to level the coach. Same with the rear. It works "through" the ride height valves but independent of them.

On mine the back 6 pack was leaking air around the bases of 2 relays. Again, soap and water took me to the leak. I removed the wiring and relays, cleaned the corrosion from the aluminum plate, installed new o rings to the relay bases that HWH sent me and reassembled. No leaks and has been solid for the last 4 years or so now.
Hope this helps.
Windecker

Quote:
When parked for about one week and leaving the HWH air leveling system in the manual mode for our coach, we've noticed that our coach's air bags - on the passenger's side - will loose enough air to slant/tilt the coach about three (3) inches (as measured from the top of the exterior and separate extra step next to the power steps).

Is this normal?

We've chosen to not use the auto-leveling option since "in the middle of the night automatic adjustments" can be a bit disturbing.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Your problem is a well known leaking of what is commonly referred to as 6 pack
This is what Windecker referred to

This great forum has a treasure of info if you can find it , quite a challenge sometimes

Here is a link to a thread on this subject and has good info .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/air-...re-165649.html

This next link is a great site and explains HWH and how to repair , everyone here
should take a look

Technical Help - HWH

HWH Solenoid Valve Disassemble

Also look just a little lower on this page , there is a box called similar threads

If you are thinking of attempting this repair your self be careful because the coach
need to be safely supported by stands and blocking

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #9

This is quickly getting to appear as something I want to hire an expert for.

Any suggestions for a quality shop in the San Diego or Tucson areas?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This is quickly getting to appear as something I want to hire an expert for.

Any suggestions for a quality shop in the San Diego or Tucson areas?
Though mine had the Valid system but it was just persistence to find the leak. Mine turned out to be one of the valves in the '6 pack'. Straight forward after finding it. Soapy water in a spray bottle.
I will be in Tucson next week. Might have a half day to look at it.....
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Though mine had the Valid system but it was just persistence to find the leak. Mine turned out to be one of the valves in the '6 pack'. Straight forward after finding it. Soapy water in a spray bottle.
John:

Thank you for this offer. But we live in Southern California and will only be in the Tuscon area from 3/18 to 3/23 for the Escapees 57th Celebration. Are you going there?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No we wont. Just exploring the area right now. Really good reviews for Ricks mobile rv service, Tucson.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
John,

I also have a Valid system. I do have a leak and it's likely the 6 pack. Is that a Valid product or where did you get the rebuilt kit?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
John,

I also have a Valid system. I do have a leak and it's likely the 6 pack. Is that a Valid product or where did you get the rebuilt kit?
I ordered straight from valid in BC. The special socket was about $80. Each valve was $45ish. There is no rebuild for the valid valves.
No more leaks!
6x1053 is the part number .

Phone: 250-832-6477

Fax: 250-832-7746

sales@validmanufacturing.com

www.validmanufacturing.com

Tags
suspension