Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was thinking about this procedure as I do not have jacks either. If you fill the bags almost all the way up, block between the H and the frame and let the air out thus by sitting the coach onto the blocks I would think should suffice, or am I missing something?
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
I was thinking about this procedure as I do not have jacks either. If you fill the bags almost all the way up, block between the H and the frame and let the air out thus by sitting the coach onto the blocks I would think should suffice, or am I missing something?
That'll work although you will have a struggle to put the new air bag in. I found that the old air bag was considerably shorter (and wider) after sitting under the coach for 16 years. It came out easy enough, but I raised the coach higher than ride height to get the new bag in.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That'll work although you will have a struggle to put the new air bag in. I found that the old air bag was considerably shorter (and wider) after sitting under the coach for 16 years. It came out easy enough, but I raised the coach higher than ride height to get the new bag in.

I used a ratchet strap to compress the new bags and placed large tie wraps to hold in place while I slid it in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5317.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	162874
Click image for larger version

Name:	File May 24, 3 51 50 PM.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	162875
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I used a ratchet strap to compress the new bags and placed large tie wraps to hold in place while I slid it in.
Attachment 162874
Attachment 162875
I tried to do that and gave up after messing with it for twenty minutes. Then I got in the coach and raised the hydraulic jacks a few inches and it slid right in.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I tried to do that and gave up after messing with it for twenty minutes. Then I got in the coach and raised the hydraulic jacks a few inches and it slid right in.

My experience was much different. Couple minutes to ratchet down and add tie wraps. Slid it into position, started nuts on top side put long bolts in to align bottom. Cut strap and tighten bolts.
Maybe twenty minutes to have new bag bolted in place.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

I just had to Firestone 5409 installed on my Dynamax, does anyone know what the air pressure should be in these things. I hooked up to my compressor and it's about 70 pounds right now so I turned it off.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #21

Airbags

Hi Guys,
Keep talking. Boy am I learning a lot. I want to correct an error in my post at #6 where I stated that the airbags on my coach were PN WO1-358-4751. Don't know where I got that weird number. The correct PN, as I previously posted, is WO1-358-9376.
By the way PN WO1-358-9376 used to be Monaco Coach PN 8619- WO1-358-8879 with 3/4" nipple. This identification was confirmed by Michigan Truck.
Being retired and living in an RV Resort or our Executive while we travel I really have no place I can work on our MH. Your information is invaluable.
I have one additional question at least for now. If I hit the raise button on my HWH Panel Control it will raise the coach an additional 4" from ride height and latch into that position, until the ignition is turned off or the Emergency Stop button is pressed. If blocking is then inserted under the frame and the H member, the ignition is turned off and the air dumped, will this provide enough height, without the need for further jacking, to replace the airbag? You gentlemen are good teachers. Thanks.
paulusmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Airbags

Should be plenty of height. I never had to raise beyond what the jacks went. I used jack stands and was on level concrete.
The old bags will be much softer and pliable so removal is not bad.
There is more work involved with removing bolts and air line fittings.
Pre-soak with PB blaster a couple days to make it easier.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
I just had to Firestone 5409 installed on my Dynamax, does anyone know what the air pressure should be in these things. I hooked up to my compressor and it's about 70 pounds right now so I turned it off.
There's up to 125 lbs available to inflate an airbag on a Monaco coach, but the actual pressure is controlled by the ride height valve, not PSI.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #24

Is maintained at 70 lbs. I found out that the compressor tank actually holds up to 150 pounds of pressure. But everytime I start the coach it tops off the tank I don't know if that's normal or not but it happens every time I start it up.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #25

Airbags

Hi Guys
Referencing my prior post #21 by raising the coach body an additional 4", blocking " between" the chassis frame and the H frame ,I assume on a cross member, and dumping the air, in effect what I am doing is lowering the coach body onto the blocks. Is my understanding correct? I do understand that I will gain more than enough space to remove and replace the airbag. It certainly appears that having jacks would make the job easier. I went ahead and ordered an airbag from Michigan Truck just to have it on hand in case I might incur a failure on the leaking DS front airbag while we are traveling. Thanks for all your help.
Paul Metzinger
paulusmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
What is the expected life of an airbag...considering buying a 2001 Monaco Dynasty?
Ivan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #27

My mechanic says they rearly go bad. Mine had a piece of the step break off and wear a hole in it.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulusmagnus View Post
Hi Guys
Referencing my prior post #21 by raising the coach body an additional 4", blocking " between" the chassis frame and the H frame ,I assume on a cross member, and dumping the air, in effect what I am doing is lowering the coach body onto the blocks. Is my understanding correct? I do understand that I will gain more than enough space to remove and replace the airbag. It certainly appears that having jacks would make the job easier. I went ahead and ordered an airbag from Michigan Truck just to have it on hand in case I might incur a failure on the leaking DS front airbag while we are traveling. Thanks for all your help.
Paul Metzinger
That's right. I wouldn't decide how many inches to use for a block until I saw how much room you have between the main frame and H frame. You said you can raise your coach above ride height right?